Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

SaskVW wrote:
OK, I had to do it. BFG 215/75/R15. Thoughts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Damn that looks good. Any rubbing?
SaskVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

No rubbing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Looks perfect!! They handle and ride nice too. I have the same tires.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

SaskVW wrote:
OK, I had to do it. BFG 215/75/R15. Thoughts?

looks great. What wheels are those?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SaskVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

215/75/R15
BFGoodrich®
ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

SaskVW wrote:
215/75/R15
BFGoodrich®
ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2

Not tires.....wheels?
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

66-67 Bug wheels, perhaps?

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
66-67 Bug wheels, perhaps?
looks like it perhaps? I was mentioning as I was wondering about offset vs bus wheels and the big tires. Surprised they fit and are able to be installed easily.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

From looking at the slot shape and the holes next to the lug holes they’re likely early 15x4.5” Porsche wheels or a repro of them.

Right away the hubcap clips tell you they’re not ‘66 -‘67 bug 15x4” slotted wheels that never had clips. The 4.5” wide Porsche wheels are probably the narrowest wheel you could get away with mounting those beefy 215s on.

Nice look on that single cab!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

b-man wrote:
From looking at the slot shape and the holes next to the lug holes they’re likely early 15x4.5” Porsche wheels or a repro of them.

Right away the hubcap clips tell you they’re not ‘66 -‘67 bug 15x4” slotted wheels that never had clips. The 4.5” wide Porsche wheels are probably the narrowest wheel you could get away with mounting those beefy 215s on.

Nice look on that single cab!

Yes i thought slots looked a little pointed.
SaskVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
SaskVW wrote:
215/75/R15
BFGoodrich®
ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2

Not tires.....wheels?

Sorry. Got them from cip1.ca

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-6620-FBK

ACC-C10-6620-FBK - STOCK 5X205MM 5 BOLT STEEL WHEEL WITH FLAT-BLACK PAINTED FINISH - 15X4-1/2 (3-3/4 INCH BACK SPACING) - BEETLE 52-67 GHIA 56-65 T-3 62-65 BUS 52-70
SaskVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

They told me that they ordered mat black wheels and their supplier painted them flat black by accident. Hence the big discount. I was going to paint or powder coat them. Then they showed up I decided the flat didn't look all that bad.
Dopevolkswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Im going to be getting the 215/75/R15 BFGoodrich®
ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2

I'd like to get a spare. I'm assuming the the tire is to big for the spare
behind the front seat.... wanted to ask before i go ahead and pick up a set

whats a good tire size option for a spare

Thanks
Max
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

the cheapest radial that will fit is probably a 165/15 (beetle size). Certainly smaller in diameter, but it will get you home.

195/15s are a tight fit (too tight) and 185/15s are usually expensive.

If you are super short and don't need the seat all the way back the bigger size will work, anybody pushing 6 feet will need the room.

If you search hard there are some pictures that show what newer radials look like behind the seat.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

I have been reading this thread and these buses look great raised up. I have been thinking about raising my single cab when I finally get started on it. If keep the suspension stock would a 5.5 x 15 rim with the larger tires. What back set would we recommended 3-3/4 or 4-1/2, going by cip1 page. I also like the look of the vintage millitary tire.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

typ914 wrote:
I have been reading this thread and these buses look great raised up. I have been thinking about raising my single cab when I finally get started on it. If keep the suspension stock would a 5.5 x 15 rim with the larger tires. What back set would we recommended 3-3/4 or 4-1/2, going by cip1 page. I also like the look of the vintage millitary tire.

what year is your bus? if it is a later one it will fit the same wheels and tires as the single above.

if it is like a 65 or so it can take 215/75/15. Some run the on the stock 15 inch bus wheels.

i have run 5.5s with 195/65s on my 66 westy. no issues.

For something more off roady i would also run the 215s

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

thirtyseven wrote:
Adding to the PowerKing trend...
6.70-15 super highway 2/ 7.00-15 super traction finally installed! Neither small-hatch nor as sun-baked as this one ^^, but I'm really happy with the look.

Salt season is coming fast here so I probably won't put much miles on them, but so far they drive great with no rubbing at all.

Looking for feedback from bus owners using the Power King Super Highway II's. Price is good for these tires, but can't seem to find a solid review on quality & handling. Any insight would be appreciated.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamblanda
Don't Disgrace The Eddy!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

They will wander a little on the road, but grip and ride has been pretty nice so far. Mine haven’t been balanced.

I ran a set of deestone pizza cutters for a few thousand miles on a C20 last winter and they were amazing, and also unbalanced. Pretty much identical to the power kings. So loud... I don’t do a lot of highway driving with the bus, but it’s been fine under 45mph.

They seem to be a solid tire that wears pretty well. I have 6.70 highways and 7.00 knobbys on the bus.
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

williamblanda wrote:
They will wander a little on the road, but grip and ride has been pretty nice so far. Mine haven’t been balanced.

I ran a set of deestone pizza cutters for a few thousand miles on a C20 last winter and they were amazing, and also unbalanced. Pretty much identical to the power kings. So loud... I don’t do a lot of highway driving with the bus, but it’s been fine under 45mph.

They seem to be a solid tire that wears pretty well. I have 6.70 highways and 7.00 knobbys on the bus.

Thanks for the info. I saw your panel with the tire setup, looks good. Your rear 7.00 Super Tractions are loud? How about the fronts, are they loud or reasonable? I was thinking 6.70 Super Highways II's front & rear, stock height. No rubbing up front with the 6.70's? Thanks!

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thirtyseven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Hi Erik,

Same as Williamblanda, they definitely ride well enough for me. Mine also weren't balanced, but couldn't tell if that makes a noticeable difference... No rubbing up front in any case.
Cruising mostly around 45/50mph, not a lot of highway too, and found Super Traxion not that loud. Anyway, front wind and my non-existent overhead vent gaskets make me forget what happens in the back of the bus Smile
Will go for a longer trip (1000+ mi) this saturday and for all next week, with most paved roads so could report after that as for handling and wear.
I was tempted to switch to 6.70 Super Highway for the rear too, might be better suited for overall gearing and road driving.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Jump to:
Page 97 of 103

Jump to: