Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mk3 4 Pin MAF: Pin 2/4 Resistance?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Mk3 4 Pin MAF: Pin 2/4 Resistance? Reply with quote

Hi all.

For a Jetta 2.0 engine conversion on a Vanagon.

Bentley diagrams show MAF pins 2/4 for 2.0 OBD1/2 going to ECU.

I realize this isn't how a MAF is tested but bench test measuring of old Bosch MAF vs generic new, VOM set to K Ohms:

old Bosch: 1.78 Ohms so ~ 1800 Ohms

new generic: no reading (I'll double check. edit: nope. Nothing shown with VOM set to K Ohms or Ohms)

Shouldn't the new MAF show a resistance value at (presumably) pins for the hot wire or film? Or, hot wire type should show resistance, other should not or vice versa?

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mk3 4 Pin MAF: Pin 2/4 Resistance? Reply with quote

I do not know the answer to your question but the ECU uses voltage [and newer ones use frequency] to measure the mass of air. I tend to measure what the computer wants to see. I also tend to perform a voltage drop test to check the resistance.

When you say generic, do you mean cheap junk? If the brand is too lazy not to put their name on their product, I tend to run away from that product. A MAF sensor is way too important to go cheap on.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mk3 4 Pin MAF: Pin 2/4 Resistance? Reply with quote

Thanks Butcher.

The new ~ $60 CAD MAF has a brand name and will be used as a "lazy mans" test MAF and possible spare.

I now wonder if putting VOM voltage across (presumably) the hot wire pins risks damaging that part(s).

The engine starts, idles with the "cheap" MAF but lags a bit "off the line". Maybe ECU is adapting to new MAF specs?

I found this test method useful. If my tests were accurate, the old MAF spec'd out a little low. Can't recall at what RPM though.

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/jettatech/maftesting.htm

He also has some other great "how to's" for the ABA:

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/jettatech/t-belt/index.htm

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk3 4 Pin MAF: Pin 2/4 Resistance? Reply with quote

I can't see how a volt meter is going to overload the circuit. Just make certain the meter is on voltage and not amps.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk3 4 Pin MAF: Pin 2/4 Resistance? Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
I can't see how a volt meter is going to overload the circuit. Just make certain the meter is on voltage and not amps.

I could've been clearer.

Test situation: MAF disconnected, VOM measuring resistance (presumably of hot wire) at MAF pins 2 and 4.

I could be wrong but it's my understanding that when a VOM is set to measure resistance, it uses the internal battery to put a voltage across parts involved.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mk3 4 Pin MAF: Pin 2/4 Resistance? Reply with quote

I'm sorry. I thought I was talking about measuring the voltage of the signal wire and that would imply that is was plugged in. I also mentioned that I think checking the resistance is not an ideal way of testing that circuit. The circuit is too complex and I could not imagine the value would be worth much during diagnosing.

I highly doubt if you are checking the sensor with an ohm meter that it will damage the circuit.

Back in the days when I worked with Mercedes, the only proper way to test a MAF sensor was to check the power supply/ground. The signal wire was tested with the key on, engine off. With no flow, the signal wire would be 1.0v. If that values varied more than .03v [+/-] the MAF sensor was bad. That was a Bosch test that had to be done if you wanted to warranty a MAF sensor. The air temp sensor was tested with an ohm meter.

I understand that VW does things differently, but assuming that the test is valid, I suspect the signal voltage would be the same from both meters in the same 0 rpm situation. I'm not certain if that meter uses a frequency signal but I suspect it does not.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mk3 4 Pin MAF: Pin 2/4 Resistance? Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:

I highly doubt if you are checking the sensor with an ohm meter that it will damage the circuit.

Back in the days when I worked with Mercedes, the only proper way to test a MAF sensor was to check the power supply/ground. The signal wire was tested with the key on, engine off. With no flow, the signal wire would be 1.0v. If that values varied more than .03v [+/-] the MAF sensor was bad. That was a Bosch test that had to be done if you wanted to warranty a MAF sensor. The air temp sensor was tested with an ohm meter.

Thanks for that.

Yeah, just wanted to compare new MAF "out of the box" to old

Vanagon is currently not insured so it can't really be road tested beyond driving up a long driveway. So, short tests like that may not allow for the ECU to do any real adaptation to MAF, if that even happens.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: