Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air conditioning repair SoCal?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Air conditioning repair SoCal? Reply with quote

Are there any recommendations for '87 Vanagon air conditioning repair shops in West Los Angeles/SoCal?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: air conditioning repair SoCal ? Reply with quote

BUMP
Hoping to get a reply.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: air conditioning repair SoCal ? Reply with quote

Foreign Autohaus in Marina Del Rey did mine. Ask for Pete, nice guy.

I needed a complete re-do on my system, so it wasn't cheap, but it would've been pricey no matter who did it.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: air conditioning repair SoCal ? Reply with quote

Try calling Automeister in Manhattan Beach and see who they recommend.

310 545 0037
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: air conditioning repair SoCal ? Reply with quote

TommyBoyGomes wrote:
Foreign Autohaus in Marina Del Rey did mine. Ask for Pete, nice guy.

I needed a complete re-do on my system, so it wasn't cheap, but it would've been pricey no matter who did it.

I have an appointment with Pete on Thursday. Thanks for the reply.

Aloha
tp
Abelabelabel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: air conditioning repair SoCal ? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Are there any recommendations for '87 Vanagon air conditioning repair shops in West Los Angeles/SoCal?

Aloha
tp

HB Auto & AC in Huntington Beach

I've had okay luck with these guys. What they lack in quirky VW specialization they make up with the best customer service I've ever had from a mechanic. I'm happy so far, although I'm having some minor trouble with a rebuilt compressor they installed. It is under warranty though, so I should be made whole again soon.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Air conditioning repair SoCal? Reply with quote

I went to see Pete at Foreign Autohaus this morning for an estimate. It was a very pleasant experience. He is well acquainted with Vanagon AC. I expected a high quotation and that is what I got. $1500-2000. I live in Hawaii and use my SoCal Vanagon about twice a year. Half of those are for ski trips. I'll be driving North to Oregon along the coast for the eclipse this month and hopefully avoid high ambient temperatures.

Bottom line: I won't have any work done, but I would recommend Pete to anybody that needs Vanagon work done in the LA area. I'll use the MightyKool swamp cooler from my '69 camper in the Vanagon when needed.
http://www.swampy.net/k2.html

Aloha
tp
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Air conditioning repair SoCal? Reply with quote

If that is for a complete rebuild of the system, that was a fair price.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Air conditioning repair SoCal? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
If that is for a complete rebuild of the system, that was a fair price.

Dave

I agree.

Pete made the observation, that with a poptop there is no ducting to the front and that the AC has to cool down the whole interior before the driver and passenger get any cool air. He also commented that if you use Vanagon AC in very high ambient temperatures you should have a new radiator. I thought these were both very astute observations. I recently had the AC recharged in my '87 tintop in Hawaii. $80 and the cold air blows directly on me.

Aloha
tp

Last edited by Tom Powell on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Air conditioning repair SoCal? Reply with quote

As I've mentioned many times, my rebuilt 86 camper unit freezes my Wife out in just a few miles. I just did a wet bulb test, I'm pushing 38* air out of the vents, the Van cools off quickly on hot days. I'm in the Hazy Hot & Humid Northeast.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
swissarmychainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Air conditioning repair SoCal? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
As I've mentioned many times, my rebuilt 86 camper unit freezes my Wife out in just a few miles. I just did a wet bulb test, I'm pushing 38* air out of the vents, the Van cools off quickly on hot days. I'm in the Hazy Hot & Humid Northeast.

Dave

Dave,
Old thread, but what is your set up? Front & rear AC?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Air conditioning repair SoCal? Reply with quote

Old thread and OP has passed away. Dave hasn't yet, though

RIP , tp

-Aloha
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Air conditioning repair SoCal? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

Dave is your AC just an outlier with it's capabilities or did you do something to make it work so well. I still have all my guts (or at least it looks that way) and have thought many times to try to get it to work, but don't know enough about it or where to start. Or just tear it all out and get that rear closet space and overhead space back for other things.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Air conditioning repair SoCal? Reply with quote

Dave was running rear AC only...van has since gone on to his daughter's family.

FWIW... I did a similar AC ressurrection with good results. July in Moab, UT... Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: