Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 Cape Cod Sage
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

In case y’all are wondering... this is how we paint engine tin in the city. Back alley paint shop in full swing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

You just put it outside and it turns black?

Laughing
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Laughing

That's what city air does to your lungs. Laughing Looking good Dan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Laughing

That's what city air does to your lungs. Laughing Looking good Dan.

Something about the Cape Cod parts not fully agreeing with Washington DC I think. You gotta get that thing back up here.... Laughing

Looks great man. Keep going.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

The alternator harness on this bus was fried. I was expecting a mess behind the alternator cooling tin. But it was actually in good shape.

Got a rebuilt Bosch alternator from Autoparts International. $120.

It looks like they have included a round “garrolite” washer on the B+ terminal.

Anyone else seen these recently? Or is the standard practice to continue swapping over the garrolite square from the old alternator?

Also, my old alternator has rubber bumpers, should I swap those over too.

Has anyone used cork as the gasket between the alternator and the cooling tin?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Finished up the alternator modifications.

Mocked up the cork gasket. Pro tip here: go to autozone and ask for the shortest coil-distributor wire they got and use the rubber boots for B+ terminal you need to grind down. Only cost $1.

Taped w/blue tape while I shortened the post.

Put it all together and used a zip tie to hopefully keep things from moving.

Looking down the inside and things are looking good!

60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for my heads to get rebuilt, so while I wait it seems like a good time to clean and get the injectors ready.

Looking down the air intake rails, they're filled with dirt that caked onto the side. I was trying to figure out how to clean these without making a trip to the hardware store.

I was thinking about what I have around the house. After some thinking, I have a bottle cleaning brush as part of my home brew stuff. So I took my beer bottle cleaning brush and used that to get the rails a little nicer.

It seemed to work ok. Better than nothing and running dirty rails. I'm pleased with the results.

Randy in Maine hooked me up with some rebuilt bosch injectors! they're mocked up until I can get some decent hose clamps.

Once the heads get here, I'm pretty much ready to go!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Check out the OD of the fuel Lines and see if a bag of shark plumbing connectors will fit snugly. Really cheap oetiker solution in 19mm size available at any hardware store
Bluebird77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Wow great score that's a real beauty ! Can't wait to see the progress.
Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:

Has anyone used cork as the gasket between the alternator and the cooling tin?

Yep, that's exactly what I did when I replaced my alternator two years ago. No issues.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

I know you're not a fan of Bus Depot but... Make sure you use these style clamps for the gas lines rather than the worm clamps that'll pinch the rubber

https://www.busdepot.com/311133515
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
I know you're not a fan of Bus Depot but... Make sure you use these style clamps for the gas lines rather than the worm clamps that'll pinch the rubber

https://www.busdepot.com/311133515

Thanks Big Jack, got it covered. You know me, I’ll go outta my way to use anyone but BusDepot. Got them here: https://www.bughaus.com/clamp_-_N90619501.htm
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

I figured you were good... I just wasn't awake enough to remember where else to get them besides BD
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Deck height question.

This is a GD motor, stock crank etc. I’m fitting the new Brazilian Mahle Pistons and Cylinders. I measured the deck height w/o shims and I’m getting about 030”.

What size shim am I looking for here? .040” for a total deck height of about .070”?

Or do I want .060 shims for total deck height of about .090?

Thanks.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Been working on the motor for a little bit and I was able to install the pistons and cylinders this weekend. they are all mocked up and now I’m just ready to clean the heads and install those next. A little progress... getting there.

Pistons and cylinders are a stock Mahle set. Followed the 1980s or 90s whatever tech bulletin for the head gaskets. They say to remove head gaskets and replace with a .062 shim. I Put a .060 steel shim at the base of the cylinder and gives me a total DH of about .080. I’m happy with that.

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
I figured you were good... I just wasn't awake enough to remember where else to get them besides BD

Bel-Metric has tons of things you will need and not get dicked around waiting for a drop shipped order to come super late...

https://www.belmetric.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

I dont know if it is going to apply to your situation since you cant properly balance the crank and flywheel without fully stripping it down, but my 94mm Mahles were as much as 4g difference in weight.

Thats a lot of aluminum to try and take out of a piston, so I took it out of the wrist pins with a cone shaped carbide bit.

Might want to check yours. Even if you cant balance the rotating assembly or rods, it would probably still be a good idea to get your pistons as close as you can.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
I dont know if it is going to apply to your situation since you cant properly balance the crank and flywheel without fully stripping it down, but my 94mm Mahles were as much as 4g difference in weight.

Thats a lot of aluminum to try and take out of a piston, so I took it out of the wrist pins with a cone shaped carbide bit.

Might want to check yours. Even if you cant balance the rotating assembly or rods, it would probably still be a good idea to get your pistons as close as you can.

Thanks for the heads up. It’s all put together now and I don’t want to take it apart I’m just gunna roll with them. This isn’t a daily driver or anything heavy duty. I’d rather this than cheap-o AA Chinese pistons and cylinders.
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

nice score man!! my friend lives in brewster ,right down the road from where you picked that up. I have a 68 westy up in ipswich. building a 1776 right now for it. looking forward to seeing you get this on the road.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Cape Cod Sage Reply with quote

Busy working full time and busy taking two classes for my masters. Spent a lot of time researching data analytics and predictive policing for my data science class.... but I did have time to clean the heads one last time and install those on the motor before making dinner.

I just got the heads rebuilt with new valves and cleaning. Nothing crazy. They were in great shape so I figured I’d keep them in service. Were rebuilt by Monkey Nut in NC. They did a good job. Sent back with the rusty exhaust studs... which I thought would have been replaced during rebuild. Anyways, I got my hands on some studs, double nutted them and a little heat and replaced them and was good to go.

Heads installed:

Tomorrow ill try to get the deflector tin on during a break from my research paper.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: