Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

looking for rebuild advice
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwilkes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

ok, so for my first post...

I'm looking for experienced advice on doing a rebuild on a 66 VW bus. it currently runs, it doesn't have any rust damage that i've found, but it's still a 54 year old vehicle. it's been converted to a 12v and is running a 1600cc motor.

it loves to pull right when stepping on the brakes, it feels super loose at 25-30 mph and needs some TLC.

What should I do to make it look/feel better and drive a little better? Any recommendations?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

congratulations. Looks like a nice bus.

get the brakes adjusted as highest priority. That is easy. only takes minutes.

I would take the drums off and inspect everything. cleaning and lubing what needs lubing goes a long way.

Check for play in the steering and front axle, tie rod ends etc. grease everything!

adjust the front wheelbearings.

Check your tires (post size and manufacturer if you want advice on tires)

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
mwilkes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

thanks! yeah, solid advice.

I'm going to take care of that stuff asap, but does anyone have advice on bang for your puck modifications i can do besides general maintenance so that i can have stuff to consider as i take this project on.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

hard to say what it needs if we don't know what is wrong with it. if what i suggested does not result in a straight driving and braking bus, then bigger items are needed.

For advice on that, we would need to know your goals.

For a stock driver this may be all it needs.
If you plan on traveling long distances at interstate speeds, you may need some big ticket items.

As i said, fix what is broken, do proper maintenance, drive it some, say the rest of the year.

if you want a slammed bus you will need much different stuff compared to a camper that goes off the beaten pass regularly.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
mwilkes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

yep. there's nothing really wrong with it other than its an old vehicle and needs some maintenance, however the goal is to drive it.

I want to be comfortable to driving it reliably and at interstate speeds (65 max).

I don't want it slammed, however i feel it could benefit from a lower center of gravity and some sway bars. This one doesn't have any and i think it was supposed to have them.

I don't mind the price as long as it makes sense.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

mwilkes wrote:
ok, so for my first post...

I'm looking for experienced advice on doing a rebuild on a 66 VW bus. it currently runs, it doesn't have any rust damage that i've found, but it's still a 54 year old vehicle. it's been converted to a 12v and is running a 1600cc motor.

it loves to pull right when stepping on the brakes, it feels super loose at 25-30 mph and needs some TLC.

What should I do to make it look/feel better and drive a little better? Any recommendations?

Nice bus!

First, brake inspect. Pulling usually means something is leaking, so expect new wheel cylinders and shoes, and if the hoses aren't less than ten years old, new hoses.

If the steering is sloppy, turn in your Idiot Book to "shimmies and shakes" and inspect to see what is sloppy. Get worn parts rebuildt or replaced.

Adjust brakes every 3K miles.
Lube suspension every 3K miles.

A 66 to 67 bus came new with a sway bar up front.
My old 67:

I retro fit one onto my 61, but yours should have one from new. Is it there?

I find a 1 ton bus (64-67 running gear) easy to drive. There are accessories that are nice, like phone charger, cup holder etc, but brakes and steering are key.
For reliability, make sure the motor has all the tin in place. motor pic?
mwilkes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

That's great! thanks for the input.

Question: how do you feel about the disc conversion kit?

Also, how do you lower a 66? I see spindles for 67 and up but not 66 or below.

it's absolutely missing the sway bar. lol
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

What part of Texas are you in?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

mwilkes wrote:
That's great! thanks for the input.

Question: how do you feel about the disc conversion kit?

Also, how do you lower a 66? I see spindles for 67 and up but not 66 or below.

it's absolutely missing the sway bar. lol

Spindles are 3/4 ton- 55-63,
or 1 ton 63 only,
or 1 ton 64-67.
"67 and up" is incorrect. In 68 (Bay) they went to a completely different beam, with ball joint instead of kin pins.

The bus should drive much better than you describe, even w/o the sway bar. From the sound of it, your bus has worn and/or badly adjusted components.

Get your brakes and steering in order before adding a sway bar.

No comment on disc brakes, never had a bus with them. Drum brakes in order work much better than brakes that need fixing. FWIW, I don't own a 'modern car'

There is a thread on lowering.
mwilkes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

zozo wrote:

Leander, TX (25 miles Northwest of Austin)
mwilkes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
...Drum brakes in order work much better than brakes that need fixing...

words to live by! Thank you.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

So, first of all, nice bus.

Just so you know, lowering your bus will not fix the issues you're having. Fix the problems first. Brake parts for these busses are so inexpensive that people could afford to change shoes and wheel cylinders every year. But, as mentioned, brake adjustment is key. You really don't want to have to stab your brakes and find yourself in the oncoming traffic lane.

Later, once you've repaired all the nastiness , if you choose to lower your bus it can be done. The first 3.5" is easy and not too expensive. Any lower than that it starts to get expensive and very invasive. Take a look through the lowering thread before you venture down that path.

Again , love your bus...fix not drive it.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

mwilkes wrote:
zozo wrote:

Leander, TX (25 miles Northwest of Austin)

There are a lot of local people very close to you. You live right where they have one of the best car shows, The Harvest in late October. Search around on Facebook to find local clubs. Old Volks is pretty active in the area.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for rebuild advice Reply with quote

Disc brakes are not necessary on a stockish engined Bus. Now my 3/4 ton Studebaker- I'm considering it! With good drums and adjusted shoes you can stop quite nicely. When/if you up the output of your engine you should considr disc brakes.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: