Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need a couple vacuum locations....
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

I have borrowed a nice set of carbs to break-in my engine and maybe even drive the bus around my neighborhood a bit.

Now that the engine etc... is almost assembled, I noticed that this dual set of weber 44s and their intakes don't have a vacuum fitting for the vacuum advance in my distributor. And I guess I need something for the brake booster, right?

Any suggestions for this temporary set up?

Thanks.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

a SVDA needs ported vacuum - meaning above the throttle plate so it goes away when the throttle is closed. Brakes use manifold vacuum - well below the carb so it is always there.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

If they are Real Weber’s and Not Chinese knockoffs they have ports next to the
Mixture screws on the base of the carbs.
Could also be that no one ever removed the tiny screws and installed the tubes
For the vacuum hose
Dual Weber’s work best on our buses if both carbs have a tee then another
Hose to the distributor port.

If in doubt you could call or email John at aircooled.net for parts.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by old DKP driver on Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

I'll take a pic today and see if someone can point out this port. These were on a 1.7 in a 914, so the PO may not have needed a vacuum.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

Both sides. Thanks for the markings.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
If they are Real Weber’s and Not Chinese knockoffs they have ports next to the
Mixture screws on the base of the carbs.
Could also be that no one ever removed the tiny screws and installed the tubes
For the vacuum hose
Dual Weber’s work best on our buses if both carbs have a tee then another
Hose to the distributor port.

OK I am back on this.... Yes they are REAL. "Made in Spain" is on them

And YES, no one removed the screws on the port you have circled GREEN. So I did that and put them in a baggie for the owner.

If I understand you correctly. I should get a hose on both of these ports, run them to a TEE. Then run a hose from the 3rd port of the TEE to the Vacuum can on the Distributor.

BOOM done, right?
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

Next issue. And maybe it won't matter, but let's hear what you got.

These carbs were purchased some time ago, and to the best of my knowledge, they have never been used.

What should I do about that? Also should I worry about jetting, etc....? How do I know what I have? What do I need?

Remember my plan is to use these carbs to break-in my fresh 2 liter. That might pretty much be it. However, the guy that loaned them to me is a long ways from needing them. Maybe I could keep them a bit longer... Laughing

Originally purchased for a 1.7 914. No idea what i have here.

Thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

If they were yours, you could pull the lids and see what jetting they have, but since they aren't yours maybe you should leave them alone. I know I would be really pissed if I lent a set of carbs to someone and they rejetted them without my prior consent.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

Besides a door stop, there is no better use for a non-vacuum distributor than breaking in a new engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Besides a door stop, there is no better use for a non-vacuum distributor than breaking in a new engine.

OK. I am pretty sure we just went thru the vacuum line installation. Or did I do something wrong here?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
airschooled wrote:

OK. I am pretty sure we just went thru the vacuum line installation. Or did I do something wrong here?

There are a hundred ways to skin a car. Er, cat.

Why do you want to modify borrowed carburetors?

From here on, differentiate between manifold vacuum (for power brakes) and ported vacuum (for vacuum advance.) They are functionally unrelated.

Manifold vacuum is the suction of the pistons going down on their intake strokes to assist your brake pedal effort. If you’re driving your car on the road, don’t worry about this.

Vacuum advance is a “load sensor” that advances the spark when engine load is low, like cruising at light throttle. If you’re not actively driving your car through varying conditions, vacuum advance is useless.

Slow down for a hot second and consider why and how these engines work. Just because someone on the internet says something doesn’t make it true.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

The carbs might run straight out of the box, worth a try. I would disassemble & clean passages jets etc and make notes of what all the jet sizes are and what venturi it is. 44's are kind of big for a 1.7 or 1.8 ltr but would work on a 2 ltr Type 4 engine with 28-32mm venturi's. I would prefer Weber 40 Idf's on a bus though. As far as brake boost just tap the closest intake manifold on just one of the cylinders somewhere easy for a thread in 1/4 or 3/8" pipe fitting to 1/2" tubing.
Example: just one is needed though. Be sure to run a check valve.
[img][/img]
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

Should have better worded my OP.

Theses are borrowed 44s. Borrowed for engine break in on the stand. So the brake booster question was for after break in and engine install. Since I have them and he doesn’t seem to be in a rush to get them back, it was kind of a “what-if”. But now i know. Plus these intakes have no manifold ports.

2ndly, I have learned much from these forums. Car things and people things. There are only a few people that I would jump off a bridge with. But I learn from most.

Lessons Learned here: small vacuum tee and hoses Go from both carbs to the vacuum can on the distributor. But may not be needed. Don’t worry about jetting. And of course brake boost is not needed.

I plan on the disty vacuum cause everyone on the internet says connection is needed to set the timing at 3000 rpm.

Thanks to all you people on the internet. Very Happy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:

I plan on the disty vacuum cause everyone on the internet says connection is needed to set the timing at 3000 rpm.

Not sure what you are meaning here, but when you are setting your timing at full mechanical advance you disconnect the vacuum hose(s).
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

After you told us what your needs are, I would have just left them alone, set the timing with the mechanical advance only, then break in the cam and call it a day. You aren't going to run the engine up to a wide open throttle full load scenario on an engine stand anyway. If someone does without a block house and remote controls then they are suicidal.
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: I need a couple vacuum locations.... Reply with quote

you borrowed them... get a 019

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: