Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 542, 543, 544 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ONE wire.. 6 hours! But, worth it Wink

Up D pillar, across AC cabinet, through race above PS rear quarter and slider.

Unibagel vent cover with lights and USB ports!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

@86F & 98% humidity.
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I installed a new Bus Depot ground strap. Turned out that the battery post clamp was part of the old crusty ground strap, so I just doubled up the new one and the old one for now. I also cleaned the ground connection. Immediate benefit: faster cranking and a clock that keeps working when I turn off the van.

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

PS pushrod tubes were leaky. I got the set that don't seem strong enough from CIP1. Today, I put JayCee ones in. I got the JayCee ones from CBPerformance that are actually for a Beetle but work for Vanagon if installed backwards.
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed some Radius bushings (yellow) from T3. Sally the Syncro feels a bit more solid and not so wondering on the freeway. Next up, order the sway bar and end links.

1969 Bucky the Bug Convertible...red, rusted, work in progress....LOTS of work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
PS pushrod tubes were leaky. I got the set that don't seem strong enough from CIP1. Today, I put JayCee ones in. I got the JayCee ones from CBPerformance that are actually for a Beetle but work for Vanagon if installed backwards.

I really like mine. No leaks so far, it’s been almost 2 years installed.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

I got the black set. (Engine too grubby to show in a picture, embarrassed). Glad to hear yours are working well. I may have an unusual environment: Iowa Limestone Gravel roads, about half of my daily commute. I usually go very slow for that part, but the engine always gets dusty, no matter what. I think gravel dust might be seizing up my tubes. BUT, then again, I got the CIP1 ones before, maybe they weren't quite strong enough. Had a discussion on a thread a while back on what I could cover the spring section with, didn't come to a positive conclusion, and didn't want a worse disaster, such as melting the coverings from exhaust pipe heat, etc.

Now that I think through it, I could put exhaust 'tape' wrap on them... Hmm. There's always next time I guess. I know I have a half roll of this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FFTZK14/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BrownEye02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

*Replaced all injector rubbers
*Soldered in a replacement bulb to the "non-replaceable" automatic shift indicator light holder. (who decided this was a good idea and who wired this up knowing its in series so if one bulb blows the other wont get power....)
*Removed distributor ground that was spliced into the high pressure oil sender wire
*With oil pressure system functioning now I swapped out both senders for the ones that were on the old motor. Still having issues where on startup oil light is off but as soon as I get above 2500-3K RPM the oil light and buzzer comes on. If I rev to about 3200+ the oil light turns off. Oil light will come back on and will not turn off if engine is returned to idle. Think low pressure sender is bad or I have the incorrect sender installed. Will look more into it next weekend.
*Resolved coolant gauge issue. The ECU and gauge were plugged into the wrong senders.
*Adjusted lifters. All but one was good. Have an exhaust lifter that went flat. Adjusted it to the recommended .006 and have been driving a bit. Seems to be clearing itself out. Will probably adjust it to the 1.5 turns like the others if it feels good this weekend.

Also, think I passed Joe on a test drive to lunch. Very Happy Could of been someone else but looked like the van from his profile pic.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

I got the black set. (Engine too grubby to show in a picture, embarrassed). Glad to hear yours are working well. I may have an unusual environment: Iowa Limestone Gravel roads, about half of my daily commute. I usually go very slow for that part, but the engine always gets dusty, no matter what. I think gravel dust might be seizing up my tubes. BUT, then again, I got the CIP1 ones before, maybe they weren't quite strong enough. Had a discussion on a thread a while back on what I could cover the spring section with, didn't come to a positive conclusion, and didn't want a worse disaster, such as melting the coverings from exhaust pipe heat, etc.

Now that I think through it, I could put exhaust 'tape' wrap on them... Hmm. There's always next time I guess. I know I have a half roll of this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FFTZK14/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That picture I posted is without the GoWesty shields that I bought and installed. They’re pretty stout of a gauge metal, more than the VW stock ones. So far, no rocks or gravel issues, but I rarely encounter that..And my engine is much cleaner now than what it was in that picture.... Razz Razz Embarassed Embarassed

Of course GW is sold out of their Push Rod Shields... Rolling Eyes

https://www.gowesty.com/product/mechanical/25061/pushrod-tube-shield-set
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Direct from the source... Tencent has what you need, in stock:

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/pushrod-tube-shields/

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
^^^ Direct from the source... Tencent has what you need, in stock:

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/pushrod-tube-shields/

- Dave
No, from what I remember, he states his design does not work with the Spring Loaded Aftermarket Versions if I remember correctly, only stock Push Rod Tubes from VW.

yup, listed it out for you....

*Kit fits stock pushrod tubes only. Will not fit aftermarket telescoping tubes.
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

FWIW - I've got the Tencent pushrod tube overs and am very happy. Too bad they don't work for your application.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:
FWIW - I've got the Tencent pushrod tube overs and am very happy. Too bad they don't work for your application.
. I have the GoWesty set already, so I’m okay.
Was just giving Bobby info if he needed it since we have the same spring loaded tubes.
I bet 10cents set is nice, I have really liked everything I’ve bought from Chris C. for our Vanagon. Always well thought out from what I’ve seen.... Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Looked under the Westy after driving ~15 minutes to work. Dripping from pushrod tubes again. Bummed
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

You think it's the seal? The spring not being strong enough? Maybe add some Dirka/Hondabond/yourfavoritegoop?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Today I had work clothes on when I spotted the fresh drip. I will take a closer look when I get home and change into garage clothes.

I was advised by a forum member who knows a lot that I should put these end seals on dry, no goop.

I guess it is possible that I got some grime in there. I spent about 2 hours cleaning the area, but perhaps I was not thorough enough. My main superpose of cleaning was to be sure no grit got into the engine at the lifter ends, or the rockers end. I was very sure that the lifter end was not going to get spoiled as I could insert that end very directly. The head end is where the drip is, and to get the head side installed, it takes a little bit of shifting around and moving them into place. I probably buggared up the head ends when seating them.

Or, since this is the 3rd time doing the passenger side, perhaps there is something not quite right in the seats at the head. My Driver side ones don't leak. Will have to investigate possible issues.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Today I had work clothes on when I spotted the fresh drip. I will take a closer look when I get home and change into garage clothes.

I was advised by a forum member who knows a lot that I should put these end seals on dry, no goop.

I guess it is possible that I got some grime in there. I spent about 2 hours cleaning the area, but perhaps I was not thorough enough. My main superpose of cleaning was to be sure no grit got into the engine at the lifter ends, or the rockers end. I was very sure that the lifter end was not going to get spoiled as I could insert that end very directly. The head end is where the drip is, and to get the head side installed, it takes a little bit of shifting around and moving them into place. I probably buggared up the head ends when seating them.

Or, since this is the 3rd time doing the passenger side, perhaps there is something not quite right in the seats at the head. My Driver side ones don't leak. Will have to investigate possible issues.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad - Sorry to hear that’s happening to you. I lightly wiped Silicone Grease on my seals. Then, as the tube was fully installed, gently twisted the tube a bit in either direction to make sure the seals were fully seated.
Any chance it’s a valve cover leak sneaking around , or is it that localized at the end of the push rod tube?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Looks to be the most forward tube. Had half my lunch hour left, decided I WAS crazy enough to go lay down under my bus in the parking lot. Got some looks. Anyway, I will attach a pic when my phone gets over a hiccup... updated this AM, now several things don't work right..

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Looks to be the most forward tube. Had half my lunch hour left, decided I WAS crazy enough to go lay down under my bus in the parking lot. Got some looks. Anyway, I will attach a pic when my phone gets over a hiccup... updated this AM, now several things don't work right..

. Crying or Very sad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

And this AM, I see it is leaking on the cork gasket side too. Brand new. Grrr
jeffrw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4mymalamute wrote:
Installed some Radius bushings (yellow) from T3. Sally the Syncro feels a bit more solid and not so wondering on the freeway. Next up, order the sway bar and end links.

I've been looking every day since like March for this to come back in stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 542, 543, 544 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 543 of 630

Jump to: