Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bike rack for electric bikes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Big Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

Does anyone recommend a heavy duty bike rack that can carry 2 electric bikes. The weight of the bikes are about 120 lbs.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

1UP bike racks have you covered at 75 lbs per bike. I've been selling bike racks for 30 years and 1UP bike racks are the best tray mounted bike rack I've seen in that time. Well-considered design, all metal construction, durability proven over time. Recommended.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-super-duty-single-bike-rack/

You don't mention your mounting requirements but 1UP bike racks work as a roof mount, hitch mount or vertical mount that I've used for a few years. When it comes time to carry heavier e-bikes I'll add a back-up to insure security.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

That's a beautiful rack setup you have on the back of your van, that's the "ladder" setup from RMW, correct?

Do you know if there's a way to add a vertical ski setup to the driver side? I'm currently using a Thule ski setup that gets installed on hitch-based bike rack, but was wondering if i could somehow install a rack that will bring the skis closer to the van (and reduce the length of the van in the snowed parking lot).

The catch: need to carry 4 pairs of skis and don't want to carry them in the roof (despite the amount of space it uses, the ski setup mounted in the hitch-based bike rack is very comfortable and easy to reach).

jimf909 wrote:

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
The Big Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
1UP bike racks have you covered at 75 lbs per bike. I've been selling bike racks for 30 years and 1UP bike racks are the best tray mounted bike rack I've seen in that time. Well-considered design, all metal construction, durability proven over time. Recommended.

You don't mention your mounting requirements but 1UP bike racks work as a roof mount, hitch mount or vertical mount that I've used for a few years. When it comes time to carry heavier e-bikes I'll add a back-up to insure security.

Thanks for the insight! Do you know if this rack would work with the GoWesty Swing Arm + ladder?

https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/23844/universal-carrier-for-the-swing-away-arm-?v=
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

We carry our e-bikes without the batteries which reduces their weight by 10 lbs or so. Easier to load and protects the batteries. We have two Kuat racks, an NV2.0, and a Transfer. Both do a good job of carrying the bikes. They both work on a 2" receiver, the Transfer will also work on a 1-1/4" receiver. They both tilt down which will allow you to open your rear hatch.
nohabusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

Thule T2 Pro XT

1990 Doka Syncro (WBX 2.1)
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

Just about every reputable rack manufacturer makes an ebike capable rack. Go to your local bike shop and look at the different ones available. There may be a feature you like about a particular brand. I have a Yakima and it’s just fine.

Be sure to check that your tail lights are not blocked when you add the bikes. There are a couple companies that make supplemental lights for bike racks. You just plug them into your trailer harness.

The most important thing could be your hitch. Not all Vanagon hitches are the same. I have a Rocky Mountain Westy hidden hitch and love it. I would never put that much weight on one of the tow hook style racks.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

Thanks. Correct, it is an RMW swing-out with the Switchback add-ons. It seems that a ski rack like a Yakima FatCat or similar would mount to the Switchback system and carry skis close to the van while easily swinging out to allow access to the hatch.

pnwkayaker wrote:
That's a beautiful rack setup you have on the back of your van, that's the "ladder" setup from RMW, correct?

Do you know if there's a way to add a vertical ski setup to the driver side? I'm currently using a Thule ski setup that gets installed on hitch-based bike rack, but was wondering if i could somehow install a rack that will bring the skis closer to the van (and reduce the length of the van in the snowed parking lot).

The catch: need to carry 4 pairs of skis and don't want to carry them in the roof (despite the amount of space it uses, the ski setup mounted in the hitch-based bike rack is very comfortable and easy to reach).

jimf909 wrote:

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

It looks like the bars with the rung kit are 13" wide. I've seen bike racks like this mounted on the GW swing out with the rung kit. My racks are mounted on 14" centers so the racks should work on the GW rack with tighter clearances for the bikes at the cranks and handlebars.

The Big Cheese wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

Thanks for the insight! Do you know if this rack would work with the GoWesty Swing Arm + ladder?

https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/23844/universal-carrier-for-the-swing-away-arm-?v=

Abscate wrote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

Great advice...

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
Just about every reputable rack manufacturer makes an ebike capable rack. Go to your local bike shop and look at the different ones available. There may be a feature you like about a particular brand. I have a Yakima and it’s just fine.

Be sure to check that your tail lights are not blocked when you add the bikes. There are a couple companies that make supplemental lights for bike racks. You just plug them into your trailer harness.

The most important thing could be your hitch. Not all Vanagon hitches are the same. I have a Rocky Mountain Westy hidden hitch and love it. I would never put that much weight on one of the tow hook style racks.

Abscate wrote:

kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

pnwkayaker - not to hijack the thread, but maybe to redirect those interested in some interesting ski rack options -

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712654&highlight=ski+rack

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9027366#9027366

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Big Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

[quote="jimf909"]It looks like the bars with the rung kit are 13" wide. I've seen bike racks like this mounted on the GW swing out with the rung kit. My racks are mounted on 14" centers so the racks should work on the GW rack with tighter clearances for the bikes at the cranks and handlebars.

Thank you. I'd consider purchasing a rack from the manufacture but I like the idea of mounting the bikes veritically. Your setup looks more stable then most rear trailer hitch mounts and appears to have more ground clearance (?). I had a rear hitch rack before and the bikes would actually hit the ground going up / down steep hills.
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

We carry our 2 ebikes on a Fiamma T3 carrier. They sit up above the tail lights. It has a 60kg (132 lbs) capacity. We take our batteries off during travel.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. --Yogi Berra
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

Just got our new Kuat NV 2.0 basic rack. Really nice rack.
We bought a Thule Easy-Fold XT rack first, but it totally sucked for our full suspension e-MTB bikes. The hold down just didn't work at all for the frames.

The Kuat NV 2.0 uses a different approach to the hold downs, clamping onto the front wheels instead of the frame so it works with any style bike frame from 20" to 29" wheels.

Very well made with nice options. We got the basic model but we can add the extra goodies later like the built-in work stand and the ramp for easier loading of heavy e-MTBs. Comes with built-in cable locks for the bikes (very basic security, heavier chains/locks needed for any time away from vehicle) and hitch lock.

Good clearance for the spare tire.

Hard to see from this angle but brake lights still show well through tires plus we have a GW third brake light.

The rack is not light, it weighs 50 lbs and together with both bikes there's 154 lbs hanging from the RMW Twin Peak bumper hitch.

Very stable. The rack expands inside the hitch receiver to prevent wiggles. Along with the solid mounting of the RMW bumper everything is nice and secure.

Rack folds up nicely when not in use and also folds downward (not enough to clear spare tire with bikes) but good for SUV lift backs.
There is an optional swing out attachment available, not sure if it's worth the extra $400 and added weight.

Really love our new e-MTBs. At 60+ years old and my bad back they bring the joy of mountain biking back to life!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

This new Saris rack is interesting…

https://www.saris.com/product/door-county?utm_sour...doorcounty
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
This new Saris rack is interesting…
https://www.saris.com/product/door-county?utm_sour...doorcounty

The lifting motor is kinda neat, not sure if it's worth the weight. Main problem I see with that rack are the hold downs; like the Thule Easy Fold they have limited adjustments for different frames.

Also looked at the Thule T2 Pro XT, it has the hold downs on the front wheels like the Kuat. However, could not find one anywhere within decent driving distance and none for sale online.
The supply chain is pretty thin for e-bikes and accessories. We were lucky to even find e-MTBs we could afford this year.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
PortTownsendTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

The one thing I'm not catching on this thread is the type of hitch receiver people are using. My '91 GL tintop has the GoWesty steel rear bumper and I'm thinking of installing the optional hitch to carry our two RadPower RadRunners, which weigh about 65 lbs. each. (Yes, I'd remove the batteries.)

GW says this hitch will handle 200 lbs. tongue weight, which should be enough for a beefy Hollywood rack and the two RadRunners, but I wonder if anyone has experience carrying e-bikes with this hitch?

(I did look for other threads answering this question, but couldn't find anything. Sorry if I missed something.)

Thanks, Tom
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

Yeah, probably. The receiver is welded to the bumper support so that's pretty solid.

If you want to take some precautions (and I would before attaching 200lbs) I would weld 2 triangular plate steel pieces to both sides of the receiver and to the bumper support. I wouldn't consider the 2 welds they do good enough even though it probably is. And sure, I get that it can't move a lot because it's located inside the bumper. But the amount of rocking the bikes do when you hit a bump, it's a lot and it puts a lot of force on the receiver.

I had a Saris Superclamp and it wobbled like crazy. Part of that was the receiver too though. With my new bumper with an integrated hitch receiver and 1up rack it doesn't wobble, but that doesn't mean the force goes away. I would get paranoid trying to mentally calculate how much force 60lbs of bikes and 40lbs of carrier was generating over 18-24" and I had to get rid of the tow bar hitch / Saris rack. Having peace of mind when you hit a bump is worth whatever little extra money it costs.

Add 2 pieces like this wonderful Paint mockup.

michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

I carry 4 (non-e) bikes (35lb each) on a North Shore rack (rack alone is about 75lb) using the GoWesty hitch receiver without any issue, on rough roads. The new One-Up vertical style is another good option (they purchased Recon Racks) and offers lots of clearance without affecting your departure angle.

This also answers the earlier ski question, but using a Gary Lee ladder. Can carry 4 snowboards or 6 pairs of skis.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack for electric bikes Reply with quote

That's the GoWesty bumper/hitch combo - not just a receiver (a product they offer - https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/2582/trailer-hitch-with-2-receiver-?v)

I am looking to get an ebike - the one I have been looking at is around 55lbs. For a rack I have been looking at a 1UP 2″ Super Duty Double - holds 3 bikes (50 – 75 lbs)

Sorry to jack the thread but any opinions on this ebike I have been looking at?
Lunacycle x2. It has a display and you can control which class it is in.I think most Trek/Specialized ebike are set at a max of 750w - the legal limit. Well the Lunacycle goes to 2000-2500w. It even has throttle - which can be frowned upon/illegal depending on the trail - but you don't have to run that feature if you don't want to.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: