Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New rear brakes on, question about the drums
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

1 st off I have to C/O about the replacement small items. The only parts I could use where the springs. The other hardware didn’t even fit itself!
But back to the drums. The grove on each edge looks normal, not from ware?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

that drum is toast. should not be any lip on it.
And recheck your brake installation especially the e brake push bar Exclamation

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
that drum is toast. should not be any lip on it.
And recheck your brake installation especially the e brake push bar Exclamation

are the clips that hold the spring to the cross bar not needed?
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

This brake bar fork is broken off, one finger. I could turn it around?
Where did you get those pretty brake parts? I couldn’t find a new brake bar and like I said, the small parts sucked, so I used the old ones.
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

glennj3cub wrote:
This brake bar fork is broken off, one finger. I could turn it around?
Where did you get those pretty brake parts? I couldn’t find a new brake bar and like I said, the small parts sucked, so I used the old ones.

i would get a new one. now or used. with out the finger the e brake won't engage. It can also slip past that cross bar and destroy everything in there. i painted my parts after media blasting them. helps prevent rust
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

Thanks! I ordered the brake drums.
Do you know where the brake bar is sold?
I think they are steel so I could get it welded on?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

glennj3cub wrote:
But back to the drums. The grove on each edge looks normal, not from ware?

Drums don't come with those lips at the inner and outer edges so they are worn.
Look for a casting mark that indicates a "MAX DIA".

This is the most these can be turn/cut and still be safe. See if you can get a measurement so you know if your drums are not already very close to this ID. If there is enough "meat" left in the drum ID they can be taken to a machine shop and "turned" to cut a new flat friction surface. One problem with this is many shops no longer have the tooling to mount Beetle drums (or maybe the machinist doesn't know how?)

glennj3cub wrote:
Do you know where the brake bar is sold?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113609631a

glennj3cub wrote:
...like I said, the small parts sucked, so I used the old ones.

Try a kit from a good source:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113698003

You could also try NAPA if you have one in your city. If they still carry Raybestos the quality should be good.

BayStYat wrote:
are the clips that hold the spring to the cross bar not needed?

While you could possibly run without them, they are cheap and can be found new so why not do the job right.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113609625
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

Some vendors sell the e-brake cross bar, new, or just get one from the Samba Classifieds. Also, the spring clip on that cross bar should be located in the middle—and, yes, it is preferable to have it.

Edit: those Springs and their cups seem to be sitting at an odd, twisted angle. Were the posts that came in your hardware kit, perhaps shorter than your originals? And that’s why the springs and cups are looking wonky?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

I was going to a machine shop and have a bar made.
The twisted position of the springs, that is how it looked when I first removed the drum. I used the old pins, new spring, old cap.
Yours sure look strait & clean! Not sure how to get them looking like yours!

I ordered new drums, another kit& the little plugs in the back adjuster holes.
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

Thank you for making ordering so easy for me! I placed the order!

I’m also replacing the transmission seal at the through out bearing. Any advice on how to remove it?

Great Forum with great people!
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

Be sure to arc the brake linings to the radius of the new drum or have a brake shop do it for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDX_VW_Erik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

glennj3cub wrote:
Thank you for making ordering so easy for me! I placed the order!

I’m also replacing the transmission seal at the through out bearing. Any advice on how to remove it?

Great Forum with great people!

My poor Checkered Flag closed their closest shop, so I had to hit Amazon. Did both rear drums for $16 each. Just keep your eye out for that kind of thing, too.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

glennj3cub wrote:

The grove on each edge looks normal, not from ware?

That shoulder in the drum could be from the drum being turned before.I'm not sure if new ones have a shoulder.

I would start over again and clean up the backing plates.
Check the backing plates for wear where the shoes rub.
Also disassemble the adjuster and clean it.
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject: s Reply with quote

bkjghj

Last edited by BayStYat on Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
BayStYat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

sorry to jump in your thread but, I am currently doing a complete brake job. I am replacing everything. Most of the parts including the drums were original. When i purchased the car the brakes were absolutely garbage. After tearing everything down I only had ONE working! yes one brake, the driver side front. Other 3 cylinders were rusted shut. New brakes are going to be AWESOME!

[img]

image upload[/img]
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

glennj3cub wrote:

I used the "3 drywall screws method" to pull out the rear transmission seal. I just screwed the screws in by hand, no pre-drilling was required.

I grabbed the screws individually with a Vise-Grips, tapped the Vise-Grips with a hammer, worked my way around to the other screws, and it came right out.

A little Permatex aviation sealant on the outside of the new seal, and a little engine oil on the inside of the new seal and the transmission shaft itself, and a few taps with a 6-inch length of 1-inch schedule 40 PVC pipe got it installed evenly and completely

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

Brilliant! Thank you. The colors are too. So now I have to paint mine🙁
So what do you think about the release bearing rocker arm part. Mine looks fine but I did order a new one. Did you replace yours even though it looked good?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

glennj3cub wrote:
So what do you think about the release bearing rocker arm part. Mine looks fine but I did order a new one. Did you replace yours even though it looked good?

If you're asking ME - I did not replace the throwout arm or install a new bushing kit there - I only had 260K on that part, figure it will last me. Plus I find those a pain to install (other folks' VWs).

Make sure (on 1970 and earlier transmissions) to use the release bearing clips with the "loop" in them, not the plain "U" shaped ones.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

Thank you cussed, it looks like replacing would take a while. Think I’ll keep mine in too!
CarterWohl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: New rear brakes on, question about the drums Reply with quote

I re-did my brakes back in February as the first project on my 71 super beetle. I’d recommend all new springs, it makes life much easier working with clean parts. I’m pretty sure I ordered a set from amazon, they are pretty standard parts for drum brakes. I remember that same struggle getting the springs to go on straight. I had my dad hold from the back while I pushed from the front and turned. I’ll tell you pliers will be your best friend with this one. Not sure if you have this problem too but you might as well replace your wheel cylinder. They’re not that expensive and a good thing to do while you’re in there. Mine for sure needed them.

Yellow/White ‘71 Superbeetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: