Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15'' tire options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I'm 95% certain it's a set of Entyre 2.0s purchased in 2018? 2019? Probably 2018. I'm a few hundred miles away from that car now so I can't confirm.

The only time I dislike the eNtyre is when it's wet and when taking an on-ramp. This is on a VW CC and I preferred the oem Continentals so the application is quite different.

Ride-Fly wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
^^^ The difference between the Hakka and the ENTYRE is night and day. The Hakka is a winter tire, the ENTYRE is a three-season tire. I love Nokian tires (currently have WRC3s on my van) but I put Entyres on my passenger car and won't buy them again (chief complaint is poor wet weather traction).

These product guides have been invaluable to me in learning about Nokian tires...

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/downloadable-product-guide/

Hey Jim, was wondering about your experience with the eNTyre. Was it the 1st iteration or eNTyre 2.0? I’m in need of new tires for the Wolfie and I like the combo of low cost, tread life, and road manners of the 2.0. I’m not as concerned for wet traction since I won’t be using this vehicle in the rainy PNW, but in Never-rains-in-SF! Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I'm looking for new tires to put on GoWesty 15" x 7" alloy wheels. I have 2 year old zero lift springs on a westy full camper. Stock brakes and no other mods to the wheels.

Costco doesn't have much in a 215/65R15 which is the size GW recos..

Costco does have Michelin - Defender LTX M/S in 215/75R15..

from what I understand 215/65R15 = 26" diameter and 215/75R15 = 27.7" diameter. Anyone know of any issues with clearance on the extra 1.7"? is the ride a lot sloppier? Ideally I'd like more stability vs less.

Other option is the Michelin - Agilis CrossClimate in 205/65R15C. I can't find any specific info on if 205s will properly fit the 15x7 rims.

Both are 100+ on load index, but the Agilis (102 index) are also listed as commercial truck tires and so may be easier to convince Costco to put on the van.

Any advice here on ride and/or fit?

Bonus question: 205/65R15 on a GW rim fit in the clamshell? I've read conflicting opinions on this. I'm up for modifying the hinges / longer bolt and latch, but don't want to mess up steering or coolant lines.
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
I'm looking for new tires to put on GoWesty 15" x 7" alloy wheels. I have 2 year old zero lift springs on a westy full camper. Stock brakes and no other mods to the wheels.

Costco doesn't have much in a 215/65R15 which is the size GW recos..

Costco does have Michelin - Defender LTX M/S in 215/75R15..

from what I understand 215/65R15 = 26" diameter and 215/75R15 = 27.7" diameter. Anyone know of any issues with clearance on the extra 1.7"? is the ride a lot sloppier? Ideally I'd like more stability vs less.

Other option is the Michelin - Agilis CrossClimate in 205/65R15C. I can't find any specific info on if 205s will properly fit the 15x7 rims.

Both are 100+ on load index, but the Agilis (102 index) are also listed as commercial truck tires and so may be easier to convince Costco to put on the van.

Any advice here on ride and/or fit?

Bonus question: 205/65R15 on a GW rim fit in the clamshell? I've read conflicting opinions on this. I'm up for modifying the hinges / longer bolt and latch, but don't want to mess up steering or coolant lines.

I have had 205/65R15 Nokian Hakka Cs on my Go Westy 15” wheels for 6 years and they’ve been great with no issues. I got them at Les Schwab and they are pretty conservative when it comes to tire compatibility with vehicle and wheel, so I would think the Agilis CrossClimate wouldn’t be an issue either.

I also just put on 205/65R15 Agilis CCs on my tintop and although it doesn’t have the GW wheels, it does have aftermarket wheels (I’m not sure the make of the wheels). I gotta say the Agilis CC looks aggressive compared to the Hakka Cs and I can already feel a great improvement compared to the old tires on my tintop (Firestone and Goodyear who ugh I don’t recall the model). I’m pretty sure I’ll replace the Nokians with these Agilis when the time comes.

BTW, Costco has a smoking deal on these Agilis right now. $520 installed. I think the sale ends today or tomorrow thought. Get them, you won’t regret it.
2018 Ford F-350 Platinum, Ruby Red Metallic
2017 Mercedes GLE350, Polar White
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Ride-Fly wrote:

I have had 205/65R15 Nokian Hakka Cs on my Go Westy 15” wheels for 6 years and they’ve been great with no issues. I got them at Les Schwab and they are pretty conservative when it comes to tire compatibility with vehicle and wheel, so I would think the Agilis CrossClimate wouldn’t be an issue either.

I also just put on 205/65R15 Agilis CCs on my tintop and although it doesn’t have the GW wheels, it does have aftermarket wheels (I’m not sure the make of the wheels). I gotta say the Agilis CC looks aggressive compared to the Hakka Cs and I can already feel a great improvement compared to the old tires on my tintop (Firestone and Goodyear who ugh I don’t recall the model). I’m pretty sure I’ll replace the Nokians with these Agilis when the time comes.

BTW, Costco has a smoking deal on these Agilis right now. $520 installed. I think the sale ends today or tomorrow thought. Get them, you won’t regret it.

Thanks! That’s what I wanted to hear. I’m leaning towards the Agilis because of the weight rating and the negligible cost difference (compared to the defenders) good to hear the ride is good at that size. I’m sure anything is going to be better than the PO tires. I think there are 4 different tires on it haha.

Anyone out there have a gw15 in the spare clamshell? I’d love to see it.
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8506364
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

jayinduluth wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8506364

Thanks.
Definitely read these threads and am aware of some of the mods. This thread is pretty much about syncros and and bigger BFG tires. I hear syncros have different space in spare area. I have 2wd manual and am looking specifically for 205/65r15 in the clamshell. Bonus if it’s a gw alloy rim (although not sure a different rim of same dimensions would change the fit.)

I’ve been emailing with bentsyncro about mods to the hinges and his custom latches, but was really hoping someone had a photo of it done as I find that very helpful in planning projects.
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Hello all - I just picked up 4 two year old 15" gowesty steel wheels and tires that are stamped with ET25 on the outside. As near as I can tell, they are exactly like this -
https://www.gowesty.com/product/wheels/25242/15-inch-steel-wheel-set?v=

Which says they should be able to mount to my rig without any modifications. My van is an 85 with a build date stamp on the passenger door frame of 10/84. As far as I know, I don't have a big brake kit or any other front suspension modifications. The Bentley does have a separate section for the front suspension for rigs before 10/84 and after 11/84, but I haven't looked at it enough to determine what the differences were.
When I put one of wheels on the front passenger side, it is right against the upper control arm. Has anyone else experienced this? I emailed Chris at T3 as well, but at this point, I can only assume that I'm going to need spacers - at the very least on the front??

Thoughts?
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Here are some pics -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Can you measure the backspacing? ET25 on a 7" wide wheel should have a 5" backspace measurement (4.98" to be exact).

Take a look at the pic below. That is a stock steel 14 x 5.5 wheel. It has an ET39, which measures 4.79" of backspacing. That means your wheel should only be 0.19" deeper on the backspace.

This gap in the pic between looks way more than 0.19".

Are you sure the stamp says ET25, or is it ET35?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'm not completely positive I measured correctly for backspacing.
I took the 15" off and put the 14" back on there and it looks like your pic, there was not a lot of space, but there was some and it definitely was not against the arm like the 15" were.

Last edited by jayinduluth on Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Lay a straight edge on the wheel lip only. This can be difficult with a tire on. Then measure from the center surface of the wheel that contacts the hub to your straight edge.

https://www.more-japan.com/blogs/2011/08/23/how-to-find-out-the-offset/
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

So it appears to be a bit more than 4.79"... even with the tire on..

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
Ride-Fly wrote:

Thanks! That’s what I wanted to hear. I’m leaning towards the Agilis because of the weight rating and the negligible cost difference (compared to the defenders) good to hear the ride is good at that size. I’m sure anything is going to be better than the PO tires. I think there are 4 different tires on it haha.

Anyone out there have a gw15 in the spare clamshell? I’d love to see it.
Late to this thread ,but I have 205/65/15" tires on 15" Mefro steel rims, I think they're 7" , could be just 6.5".
I needed to change my stock clam shell over to a more open design like the one below to get my fully filled tire to fit. No rubbing on anything.
The guy who made and sold this carrier seems to be gone now, but Van Cafe and others have versions similar. Or, you drop the hinging section from mods that you already know about .

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

[quote="tjet"]
Are you sure the stamp says ET25, or is it ET35?

Sorry, I didn't see this. I confirmed it is a 25.

Chris at T3 emailed me back after seeing the pics and said it was a new one on him, that based on the pic, he suspects the wheels are ET33 and not 25 and something is not accurate during the assembly of these. He also suggests 7mm spacers.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

jayinduluth wrote:
Thanks for the info.

That straight edge needs to rest on the rim egde to get a good reading (not tire). I cant tell in the pic
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

[quote="tjet"]
jayinduluth wrote:
Thanks for the info.

That straight edge needs to rest on the rim egde to get a good reading (not tire). I cant tell in the pic

Sorry about that, it is on the tire and not on the rim. I measured the distance from the rim to bottom of the straight edge and its 5/16" and my other pic was 5 and 9/16", so that still puts it around 5.25"..
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Gowesty emailed me the following -

Not sure what wheels those are, but I do not believe they are anything that we offered. We have only been offering a 15” steel wheel since October of 2019 and before that the last time we had a 15” steel wheel was 10 years ago. If the front end alignment is set correctly, you can add a 5mm spacer to move the wheel outward to prevent the rubbing. Thanks!

So my really good deal on wheels and tires are getting $200 more expensive due to me getting spacers from Chris and T3.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

A straight piece of wood cut to length set on rim lip might work for taking a measurement.

If you jack van up at that wheel, any play in bearings etc. ? Does wheel then clear the knuckle?

Does van track, drive straight? Is camber (alignment) correct?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

jayinduluth wrote:
Here are some pics -

Those look like South African rims. I have a set the has similar stamping. Oddly, 2 of mine are ET30, and 2 are ET25. I got them from Van Cafe about 3 years apart.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Was ET25 intended just for the rears?

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: