Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealing exhaust connections - 1600 DP
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Sealing exhaust connections - 1600 DP Reply with quote

I rebuilt my 1600 DP engine. In the course of the rebuild, I replaced the heat exchangers with a better old pair and replaced the exhaust with a new Jopex unit that fitted around the filter pump that I also fitted.

I started having problems with exhaust leaks after about 70 miles. The leak appeared to be at the connection with the right hand heat exchanger. I could hear it (like a holed muffler) and see the soot staining on the heat exchanger.

I pulled the exhaust, replaced the wire mesh gaskets and refitted, but the leak was worse than before. The gaskets that were in place when I took the original exhaust offwere very hard wire gaskets. The ones in the aftermarket fitting kit were softer and seemed looser.

Pulling and refitting the exhaust is a pain, so to try to avoid doing it again, I've bought a NOS exhaust fitting kit.

Should I also use any exhaust sealant? I don't want to ruin the gaskets (the NOS kit wasn't cheap) but I want it to seal properly this time.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing exhaust connections - 1600 DP Reply with quote

I've got in the habit of using a hi temp copper goo at the exhaust gaskets.

Theoretically it wasn't needed when new, but the old heater boxes are not 100 smooth, and the goo helps fill in the pits. Seems like every few years the beetle gets a stinky heater. Then I re-goo the exhaust donuts. Sometimes it needs new donuts, which means splitting the donut to install. Problem solved. I don't have to remove the exhaust.

Smile
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing exhaust connections - 1600 DP Reply with quote

I’ve been using Walker Acoustiseal. On the slip connections on early heater boxes and the single exhaust damper as well as all the donut connections. It comes apart easily if you heat it with a torch when you need to disassemble your exhaust.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing exhaust connections - 1600 DP Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I've got in the habit of using a hi temp copper goo at the exhaust gaskets.

Theoretically it wasn't needed when new, but the old heater boxes are not 100 smooth, and the goo helps fill in the pits. Seems like every few years the beetle gets a stinky heater. Then I re-goo the exhaust donuts. Sometimes it needs new donuts, which means splitting the donut to install. Problem solved. I don't have to remove the exhaust.

Smile

X2 for the high temp copper RTV, lasts quite a while and much easier to get off later compared to most of the dedicated "exhaust compounds", stays flexible too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing exhaust connections - 1600 DP Reply with quote

I have this stuff saved in my Amazon list:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RVK668/?coliid=I1HCE4L07NRS29

Members must have mentioned it in the past.
I haven't used it myself so I can't personally vouch for it
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing exhaust connections - 1600 DP Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I have this stuff saved in my Amazon list:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RVK668/?coliid=I1HCE4L07NRS29

Members must have mentioned it in the past.
I haven't used it myself so I can't personally vouch for it

I have used that stuff. It becomes like a plaster type substance. You should be able to pick up at your local parts store.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing exhaust connections - 1600 DP Reply with quote

Thanks all. Seems that the concensus is that goop is good.

Thanks for the product recommendations too.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing exhaust connections - 1600 DP Reply with quote

I just weld 1.5” flanges to the muffler & heat exchangers to lose that crappy clamp connection.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing exhaust connections - 1600 DP Reply with quote

X2, that's what I do to all mine.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing exhaust connections - 1600 DP Reply with quote

If the doughnut does not fit tightly on the heater box tube they will leak.

I've cut off and replaced a few heater box tube ends. Mount the heater box and muffler so you can use them to help mock up the replacement end; tack the new tube in a few places, then remove it and weld it up properly on the bench.

I found that dual port intake manifold tube to be the perfect outer diameter, but it's too thin. I used another section of old TV antenna mounting pole to increase the overall thickness. Worked perfectly.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: