Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

That's a beautiful van. It's so nice to see one that looks like it did in the showroom.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This one too...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

The van turned the aux fan on for the first time ever in my ownership. Which I consider a pretty big deal, seeing as that worked as it should and the motor didn't blow up! That's one step to a trustworthy reliable vehicle!

Usually when I see incoming coolant temp of over 205F I turn on the rear heater and it drops below 200F. However today, sitting in a CFA drivethru I said this is a pretty safe place to see what happens. At 210F incoming coolant temp, the fan kicked in to it's low speed and then cycled around 208F-210F, but never got any hotter. Huge success!

So that's an interesting data point in any regard. My coolant temp sensor is right before the radiator. 210F inlet means 185F at the sensor. I have a outgoing sensor plumbed in to the line, but not wired up yet. I am curious to see the outgoing temps.
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My van managed to make enough ice cubes for four glasses of gin and tonic in 80 degree weather. We were celebrating a covid “double bubble” camping trip with our friends and their 93 Eurovan. Of course I had to wait twenty four hours for more cubes to form but it kept the drinking in check!

shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My Van took me up Mt. Baldy Road into the San Gabriel Mountains above my house for a maintenance cruise; pump up the lifters, keep the tires round.
The bears must've already crossed or they were waiting for me to leave.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My work truck did some working.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

sphet wrote:
My van managed to make enough ice cubes for four glasses of gin and tonic in 80 degree weather. We were celebrating a covid “double bubble” camping trip with our friends and their 93 Eurovan. Of course I had to wait twenty four hours for more cubes to form but it kept the drinking in check!

Everything in moderation. Enjoy the celebration.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

A Red 15 foot Kayak followed me home.... Wink Wink

Okay, I DID help it get on the roof, but only because it asked nicely... Wink
Tandem 2016 Necky, used. We were previous renters, now owners of our own Kayak.
Lots of gear to follow with it, especially proper roof support system for the bars versus the no-so-gentle way I got it home.
It fits the roof perfectly, the front and rear tow loops work just right for Bow and Stern tie-downs, and miss paint and wipers beautifully.... Razz Razz
Like it was made to carry roof loads... Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Finally made it to the Skokie Lagoons,which are near where I work in the Suburbs. It only took 30 years of living in Chicago to finally put a Kayak into the Lagoons, but tiny steps , right Embarassed .
This was after lunch, about to head home.
Vanagon took us there and back with ease.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Turned 310K miles 70 miles from Denver Smile

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Bravo! Applause
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Well done !
Love your spare parts kit: screw, fuse, piece of tape, rock. Keep it simple.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

That tape has some part code or paint code or something, not sure where it fell off.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Geez, I better get driving, I have less than 150,000 miles on the Meter, lots of catching up to do... Wink Wink
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Started picking up the slack now that the Mopar minivan is gone. First load of firewood moved today and probably a load of gravel next.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

You've been driving! Well done.

Abscate wrote:

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Needed to improve the drainage in my woodshed so emptied out one side and fetched 1400 pounds of #57 gravel. That combined with trailer weight totaled about a ton and the van pulled it surprisingly well.

These little aligning thingies look silly but they work. I had no trouble with the previous Mopar minivans but the higher rear floor and rear window made hitching up much harder in the camper so I thought I'd give these a try and they work. First try pictured below.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Flossie got me and Mrs. Black back home from Colorado, no problems. Clock turned 311k miles near my family's Century Farm in Plymouth IA as I drove by to see how my cousin is settling into the farm groove. A llama and sheep!!! My mom still goes over a couple times a week to direct, and do some chores. Total miles for the trip was 2,227. Average of 18 MPG where I could find non-ethanol laced, and about 16 with the ethanol. That crap is sick shit.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hauled lumber. Used to have a minivan for jobs like this but now the Westy gets to do it. Got firewood and wood chips delivered yesterday and I carried the lumber out to fill the gutter and protect the new concrete curb from the weight of the truck doing the dumping. Worked. I was too tired this afternoon to hand carry the lumber back so made the van do it.

90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Carried 8, 6' Arborvitaes home from the nursery.

I love my doka.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

More Kayaking Saturday. The weather will be getting colder, so we grabbed the chance for short sleeve shirt paddling before we are forced to bundle up for later days.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 70 of 89

Jump to: