Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
so it ill be soon that an electric charge station will be found along the 250 mile off road treks I take in Death Valley, places were there are no utilities currently?

Always possible to find place without utilities. But there is charge station at many place as you can see below.

Quote:
so by next year we will have 99,000 more charge stations installed verses the 1000 a few moths ago? I find that hard to believe.

Language error. I would mean Thousands. There is actually many thousands of charge station.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by yabert on Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Really creative and ingenious. I cant imagine the instant torque you must get. Last year when I drove through Quebec I was really surprised how many charging stations there were at gas stations. Way more than I see over here. Here they are usually at shopping malls, office buildings, and strip malls. Sheetz is installing charging stations at all their gas stations but they are regional here.
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Here some news of the Vanabolt.
It passed over the winter with brio. Not stuck a single time in the snow, the electric heater do his job well to defog the windows and the powertrain work well in cold weather.
We enjoy to drive this van the last few months and it will be simply better for the next warmer months as the range will be greater.

Some change I did:
I add extra plastic on my front plastic mudguards. There are only few inchs from ground now and this block almost all splash from the wheels.
It's a necessity, because before the change it had up to 6'' of snow/salt/dirty stuff packed under the frame coming from front wheels projection.
You can clearly see that the black paint on the traction battery support didn't protect well after only few months. This years, f**k paint, but application of rust proofing product. This solution seem way more effective to protect steel parts under the body.

Also, we have now a 2'' trailer hitch in the rear of the van. It will be perfect for towing my small sail boat, bikes, and many other things.
It build from a single Hitch Receiver Tube and three laser cut plates. All material cust me 50$.
I really like the fit and the fact that this assembly weight less than 15 lbs.

yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

First paint removal test on the Vanabolt.
The red coating (spray can) and army green coating (spray can) can be remove in few second with wire brush wheel.
The white coating and the OEM Assuan Brown coating+primer are a bit tougher to remove.
Anyway, I think we don't have choice to remove all the 5 coatings of paint to do a good new paint job.
We choosed our color, it will be blue. Still we hesitate a bit between dark blue, light blue, blue-green Laughing

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

yabert wrote:
First paint removal test on the Vanabolt.
The red coating (spray can) and army green coating (spray can) can be remove in few second with wire brush wheel.
The white coating and the OEM Assuan Brown coating+primer are a bit tougher to remove.
Anyway, I think we don't have choice to remove all the 5 coatings of paint to do a good new paint job.
We choosed our color, it will be blue. Still we hesitate a bit between dark blue, light blue, blue-green Laughing

Your van's going to be a lot lighter!! Shocked

If you're looking for votes, I really like the light blue of the early vans. Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Looking forward to more. Blue-green is intriguing. Sky blue/cream two tone of the earlier Vanagons also is pretty.

Lots of good photos of different colored vanagons on oldbluesblog (kamz place)...

http://oldbluesblog.com/files/Paint%20Colors_and_Examples.pdf

http://oldbluesblog.com/index.html

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Needs to be some sort of electric blue...no? Razz
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Turquoise

Dove Blue as a 2nd choice
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
I see what you did there Wink
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:

Now that you say it, its obvious!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Wow! How did I only notice this thread now! Sorry I missed it the first time, I would have loved to host you on Vancouver Island.
Une prochaine fois, peut-être...

Whereabouts in Québec are you?

Anyway, great job. It's amazing. Reading the thread, I share the opinion that the debates on EV vs. gasoline distracts from the technical performance, but on the other hand Yabert is a pioneer and his project an eye-opener for many of us. In addition to the technical achievement of fusing two radically different vehicles together, he makes us question the status quo. Chapeau !

And I'll keep this one in the back of my mind:

yabert wrote:

Some time you have to DO to have something.

Looking forward to see the progress on the paint job! I like Orly Blue, but I'm biased...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Current brown.

Coming soon, 10 cent per mile Road use tax for electric cars
alexbeatle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Bravo on the project!

Were you able to figure out the CCS charging?
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

I missed this the first time around too! Really innovative and impressive! Please keep posting as you troubleshoot and improve.
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

What is the tips to seal the panels joints (gap) on a Vanagon? (pic 2)
Is someone have suggestion to prepare those zones before paint or I simply put primer and that it?

The big job is started. Below the van after two entire days of wires wheel grinding and paint remover.
It's not easy to remove 40 years of paints. There is the red, over the green hunter, over the white, over the original brown, over a white primer and over a grey primer.
There is few holes to repair, so I weld some 18Ga steel part at some place. At other places I will simply repair with potty. After all, it's a quick 200$ paint job, not the real job.
The van is our only family car, so we don't have the time to be separate from it too long

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Here is some good seam reading.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

i recently did the seams across my whole van.
I prepped them by taking out ALL of anything there with a dremmel wire wheel (i bought a pack of 20 and i used em all).

then laid down primer over the seams (used a urethane to water seal), then put down seam sealer (use painters tape on either side of the seam so it doesnt get everywhere and you get a clean line when you pull the tape off), and then did another coat of sealant primer over the top of the seams when the stuff dried..
then did base and clear coat.

i didnt want that shiz rotting
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Exactly what I'm looking for.
Thanks guys.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Tell everyone here you are taking the windows out to paint, even if you aren’t.

Thank me later

Good luck with that project!
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

oh, and dont forget to squish the seam sealer in with your finger so it gets nice and in there.

When i was painting my doors i found seams on all the doors that i re-sealed as well. Dont forget those
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 24

Jump to: