Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Right Rear Problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Right Rear Problem Reply with quote

Hey all... We have been working away on our 73 super and I have run into a issue that I am stumped with. I have searched, but I am not turning up much.

So, we have had a clunk in the rear when going over bumps and have been attempting to solve the issue. The last thing we did was new spring plate bushings, reindex, and adjustable spring plates. I feel like we are pretty good at this now ... Lol. Very Happy

Anyway ... we got everything back together and we now have a issue where, if there is a passenger (weight) on the passenger side of the car when we go over a bump. "Something" slips out and the wheel starts making a horrible rubbing and grinding noise. If we put the car in reverse, backup, then go forward again... it stops. If the passenger gets out to look at the issue, it stops. If you watch the wheel with the passenger in the vehicle the wheel moves in a up and down sort of oblong pattern. Only happening on the passenger side.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Right Rear Problem Reply with quote

Well, there are only so many things that could possibly cause it. You have narrowed it down to parts that move, so let’s think about it. You have addressed the ride height and put in new bushings. So.... Brake drum, brake shoes, axle bearings and CV joints immediately come to mind.

If you take off the half shaft to check the CVs, you can undo the axle nuts, remove the drum, and see if the rear axle has any obvious bearing play.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Right Rear Problem Reply with quote

I had a mystery "clunk" in the right rear of my car when I bought it. It would clunk when crossing over painted lines on the street, small cracks too.
After searching the rear of the car all over. I zeroed in on the rear shock tower bushings.
They were found to be badly worn. When they appeared to be in good condition.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Old vs New body bushing.

I removed the body to shock tower bolt and pried the body up enough to get the new bushing in.

A crude method. But it worked.
The end result? No more mystery clunk at the rear of the car.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Rear Problem Reply with quote

Bama Dave wrote:
Well, there are only so many things that could possibly cause it. You have narrowed it down to parts that move, so let’s think about it. You have addressed the ride height and put in new bushings. So.... Brake drum, brake shoes, axle bearings and CV joints immediately come to mind.

If you take off the half shaft to check the CVs, you can undo the axle nuts, remove the drum, and see if the rear axle has any obvious bearing play.

Thanks for the reply! Your right ... I should have been more descriptive and given a bit more history. I will post a video tomorrow.

We bought the car about 11 months ago and we did new disc brakes about 10 months ago and the car has been driving fine (very light driving) until we put the new spring plate bushings in. I was wondering if CV joints would cause this issue. Can they "slip out" when under weight? They may have gotten some extra wear over the years. When we replaced the shocks the passenger side was completely gone.

67rustavenger wrote:
I had a mystery "clunk" in the right rear of my car when I bought it. It would clunk when crossing over painted lines on the street, small cracks too.
After searching the rear of the car all over. I zeroed in on the rear shock tower bushings.
They were found to be badly worn. When they appeared to be in good condition

Thanks! After putting new shocks on the shock tower bushing were the second thing we replaced! Razz
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Right Rear Problem Reply with quote

Time to take it apart and inspect.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Right Rear Problem Reply with quote

All fixed up.
Ended up being a loose bearing cover bolts.
Very Happy
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Right Rear Problem Reply with quote

Glad you found the culprit - I would recommend getting and using a torque wrench for stuff like that, using new hardware, using loc-tite, and avoid using split washers (they're already broken).

Be sure to store your torque wrench properly too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Rear Problem Reply with quote

Matt Wilson wrote:
Glad you found the culprit - I would recommend getting and using a torque wrench for stuff like that, using new hardware, using loc-tite, and avoid using split washers (they're already broken).

Be sure to store your torque wrench properly too.

Yup! Lesson learned! We looked up the torque values and added loc-tite!

Thanks for the tip on the torque wrench. I did not know about that!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: