Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pinion gear swap 12 v starter
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71beetleconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Pinion gear swap 12 v starter Reply with quote

Hi folks

Wanting to swap good pinion from dead starter but can’t get the collar off

Anyone know how ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pinion gear swap 12 v starter Reply with quote

Drive the retainer collar down, remove the retainer ring and collar, then pull the pinion off. Reassembly is the reverse order.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4517326&highlight=#4517326
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pinion gear swap 12 v starter Reply with quote

Man.. that link takes me back to my auto apprenticeship.. ....when things.. were still rebuilt.. like starters, generators, alternators Laughing .. and Im not that old..

Good ole starter drive service... Wink

Id bet 99 out of 100 young techs today.. have no idea you once could simply replace a starter ring gear with a red wrench.... Think ..thats a torch to you young ones.... Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pinion gear swap 12 v starter Reply with quote

@VOLKSWAGNUT
Earlier this year I was met with incredulous puzzlement from the parts store counter jockey when I insisted on purchasing just the bearing for a noisy idler pulley. He simply refused to believe a home mechanic could replace the bearing without special tools, and thought it foolish to try when the entire pulley could be had for three times the price. I smiled and thanked him for the bearing, then drove the old beaing out with a deep well socket and installed the new one with a block of wood -- all done in less than fifteen minutes for a third the cost.

A few years ago on a road trip I ended up pulling my generator apart to replace a bearing at a road side rest out in the middle of nowhere. Sure got some funny looks that day as well. Smile

71beetleconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pinion gear swap 12 v starter Reply with quote

thank you folks
worked like a charm

seemed to hit another mechanical block at the point shown in the pic
tempted to get out the hammer but am exercising restraint Smile

really appreciate your assistance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pinion gear swap 12 v starter Reply with quote

The end of the shaft is deformed from... being hit with a hammer. Drive the gear back down and dress the shaft with a flat file.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: