Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Figuring out my transmisson gear setup
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CR MAD MAX BUGGY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Figuring out my transmisson gear setup Reply with quote

Hello,

I wanted to know if there is a way to figure out what is the gear set up that I have on my dune buggy.

I know it has a 4/12 Ring and pinion but I wanted to know if there is a way to identify the gears inside the transmission WITHOUT taking it appart.

It should be the same as a beetle 1971 that was used as a donator but I cant assure that.

I appreciate any tips.

Thanks.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Figuring out my transmisson gear setup Reply with quote

Take all the spark plugs out of the engine, to make it easier to turn the engine for the following procedure.

Jack up one side so one wheel is off the ground. Mark that one wheel with a piece of tape with a corresponding piece of tape or a mark on the ground for reference.

Put the trans in whatever gear you’re trying to figure out the ratio on. Mark your crank pulley and count the exact number of turns it takes to make the one wheel that’s off the ground make TWO full rotations.

Divide the number of crank pulley rotations by 4.125 (your stated ring and pinion ratio) and you’ll know your gear ratio for that gear.

Repeat for each gear.
CR MAD MAX BUGGY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Figuring out my transmisson gear setup Reply with quote

b-man wrote:
Take all the spark plugs out of the engine, to make it easier to turn the engine for the following procedure.

Jack up one side so one wheel is off the ground. Mark that one wheel with a piece of tape with a corresponding piece of tape or a mark on the ground for reference.

Put the trans in whatever gear you’re trying to figure out the ratio on. Mark your crank pulley and count the exact number of turns it takes to make the one wheel that’s off the ground make TWO full rotations.

Divide the number of crank pulley rotations by 4.125 (your stated ring and pinion ratio) and you’ll know your gear ratio for that gear.

Repeat for each gear.

Thank you very much man. This is very good info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: