Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pan off, Pan on?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Pan off, Pan on? Reply with quote

The questions is what benefits are there when restoring a bug to doing it with the body off the pan?

About to embark on a restoration of a 64 sunroof. Not a concourse but the car has been with us since 64 and i want to do her right. Goal is stock, clean and reliable. Three is no rust in the car and no major body damage. Typical body work needed and a tired interior. Pan are in fine shape.

What are the Pro's and con's?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pan off, Pan on? Reply with quote

I can't think of a good reason to separate the body and pan if you don't plan on doing floor pan replacement or extensive paint work. Most of the reason for a pan-off is to replace the pans.

Suspension and drivetrain access is much easier with the body off.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pan off, Pan on? Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
There is no rust in the car and no major body damage. Typical body work needed

??? For me, typical body work was the replacement of the rusted areas, but if there is nor rust, what is typical?
The body off resto features also the possibillity of proper heater channel and napoleon head replacement, not only the work on the chassis itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pan off, Pan on? Reply with quote

if it aint broke don't fix it Laughing
without seeing the car or assessing what is required it is hard to say pan off or on...
if there is a lot of fettling and overhauling of the trans, running gear etc planned then this will be easier pan off plus you can give the parts a good clean and paint.

be aware that pan off might involve the joys of seized/sheared bolts, stripped threads etc

there's also the 'it's only original once' factor - why not preserve it?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pan off, Pan on? Reply with quote

This is the bug. Only a few images handy. For sure it is not hammered or rusty. I painted it back in the late 80's. Since then spent half its time in storage.

The only area i can think of that may have suspect metal is the bottom of the A pillar at the pan as the sunroof models drained into that area.

Sounds like unless i have some pan work or want easy access to the drive train and suspension it really does not have any benefit if not doing a concourse type restoration.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pan off, Pan on? Reply with quote

I wouldn't touch that, just re-commission and maintain it...retrim inside if necessary.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pan off, Pan on? Reply with quote

I wouldn't go pan off unless I needed to replace the floor pans. From the photos, that car doesn't need much more than a little cleaning and some grease in the front end.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pan off, Pan on? Reply with quote

You would be crazy to restore that car. Clean it and detail it and leave the patina. Address any rust to prevent it from getting worse and fix anything mechanically wrong with the car but it is perfect as it sits. Hard to find them in that condition these days.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pan off, Pan on? Reply with quote

Those link pins look bone-dry and crispy. The king pin is likely dry too. I wouldn't defer that maintenance checkpoint any longer, that needs immediate attention. The rust dust is an indication that at least some degree of damage has already occurred, perhaps it's just from the shims chafing along, but man I'd yank that stuff apart and have a look.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: