Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

strongest first gear avail
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: strongest first gear avail Reply with quote

Looking for the strongest first gear avail for the type 1 trans.

Seems to be my weakest link in my street/strip car.
snapped with a simple stage 2 pressure plate/cushloc

super beetle? weddle? any others?

how do they compare to type IV or Mendeloa?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: strongest first gear avail Reply with quote

Go with Weddle, they have many combo for 1st and 2nd gear ratios.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: strongest first gear avail Reply with quote

Increase rear tires 2 PSI so it don't hit as hard.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: strongest first gear avail Reply with quote

What 1st do you have now? If it’s a 3.80, then pretty much ALL the other 1st gears are stronger. A 3.78 VW mainshaft with the type 1 large half of 1st is stronger. Then the 3.78 mainshaft with the type 2 larger half is stronger yet. Weddle’s stuff is by far stronger than the VW stuff. And the Mendeola trans is stronger than the VW ones. Another thing to consider is whatever link of the chain gets strengthened, simply creates the weak link elsewhere. What size engine, and what are you trying to accomplish at the track?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: strongest first gear avail Reply with quote

Weddle, FTC. Going to be spendy.

Weren't you just asking about break away torque? maybe you got to much and it broke away your mainshaft.

I've been 1.4s on a Weddle 4.13x2.46 (3.eightyeight), switched to a 091 and FTC 3.55x2.21 (4.86), now in the 1.40x 60s and getting faster.

when guys are going 8s in the 1/4 mile on type one boxes, you have to ask yourself why your breaking stuff on the street...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: strongest first gear avail Reply with quote

The strongest stock combo is the 3.78 mainshaft and machining an 091 idler to mate to it. You also need to install an 091 syncrho and 091 1-2 slider, but that's the best I know of before needing to jump up to aftermarket gears.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: strongest first gear avail Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
Weddle, FTC. Going to be spendy.

Weren't you just asking about break away torque? maybe you got to much and it broke away your mainsheet.

tested at 175ft/lbs..
Left line first couple runs @5000rpm and couch slipped horribly.
Left @3500rpm to see if it would grab....it did...snap!

20psi on street slicks.

Quote:
when guys are going 8s in the 1/4 mile on type one boxes, you have to ask yourself why your breaking stuff on the street...

a REV6 probably helps with this.. but i don't think that would do well with normal street use..
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: strongest first gear avail Reply with quote

A friends street/strip trans with a N/A 2332 logged 300 passes with wheels up 6600rpm 1.5X 60 ft. launches on slicks with a VW 3.78 mainshaft, and type 1 large half. The car’s best e.t. was an 11.66 @ 116 weighing in at 1750lbs. The engine was never dyno’d, but estimated around 220hp with various calculators.

Those running “8’s in the 1/4” are trying to put down 650+ flywheel hp. You shouldn’t need a Rev 6 for something less than 300hp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: strongest first gear avail Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
tested at 175ft/lbs..
Left line first couple runs @5000rpm and couch slipped horribly.
Left @3500rpm to see if it would grab....it did...snap!

20psi on street slicks.

I see the problem now. Your couch is NOT an approved racing seat! Shame on you Laughing
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: strongest first gear avail Reply with quote

I have never broken anything at 5000 RPM -

Let me see...you left in 3rd gear?

The car I was helping w/ had 2443cc leaving at 7500 + RPM, 60-foot of 1.2 seconds....stock input shaft, stock 3.78 mainshaft, stock sliders...had never broken a shaft. And the clutch was multiple disks - I built the engine and trans in that car/ KSR Leroy Williams back in the day.

We upgraded the input shaft to the WEddle 300M later on.

I have seen broken input shafts and mainshafts. But 5000 RPM? are you sure the tach is working?
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: strongest first gear avail Reply with quote

The stock (3.78/ 9 tooth) mainshaft is the strongest stock 1st gear.
Pair that with a 091 idler (2mm wider) and you have the strongest stock parts possible in a type 1 box.. Good for 1.5sec 60's. (As Geoff said)

Beyond that, going aftermarket chromoly is very strong and hard to break.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: