Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this Ghia part and Where does it go?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

[quote="crocteau"]
69 GVert wrote:
This photo may help...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Great, now that part is on order, all I need is the rivet. And of course the rubber tube for the fresh air valves. Used ones don't even survive an install attempt unless they are vinyl. I only found 2 vinyl ones in my parts bin, so drivers side I guess is good to go, passenger side will have some Gorilla Tape in there at first.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

69 GVert wrote:
... all I need is the rivet.
You're in luck; there's a sticky for that! Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
69 GVert wrote:
...... all I need is the rivet.

Have a look through this thread for information about the rivet
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3338846&highlight=#3338846

Nicholas

I ordered the rivets for my restore. Unfortunately I could only buy in a set of 100, when I only needed 2. My loss is your gain. If they can survive a trip though the us mail in a letter envelope, I can send some out to you guys. PM me your snail mail addresses. Don't want to get in the business of having to package these things up and spend $8+ on shipping.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I found these in a pile of carpet bits under my rear glass, not sure whether they are Ghia parts or not...
Two large pieces:

And two smaller ones:

Confused
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Can you guys recommend where to buy these floating nuts? It's the anchor point for the heat riser tin coupling.

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

One place with a quick search of 6 mm cage nuts
https://www.mcmaster.com/cage-nuts/
https://www.amazon.com/Cage-Stainless-Steel-30-piece-Captive/dp/B01KJJTLO2
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks Rick. Wasn't sure of the name. $15!?!? I think I will come up with something else. I'm thinking, replace the nut in a PC rack cage nut... Plenty of those kicking around work.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Cheap ass VW owners Wink
https://www.newark.com/tr-fastenings/m6-cnstnz25/c...Mechanical
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I resemble that. 😆

I was able to drill/tap one of these PC rack anchor nuts for M6X1. This should work nicely. Thanks again Rick.

69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

69 GVert wrote:
I found these in a pile of carpet bits under my rear glass, not sure whether they are Ghia parts or not...
Two large pieces:

Well, not sure where they came from, but I noticed I'm missing the tarboards on the wheel arches back of the top frame covers, and these might be just enough to fit once I cut them down...
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

69 GVert wrote:
69 GVert wrote:
Two large pieces:

Well, not sure where they came from, but I noticed I'm missing the tarboards on the wheel arches back of the top frame covers, and these might be just enough to fit once I cut them down...

This one is definitely the padding for the wheel arch.
Viktor Cz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Yes, definitely

Karmann Ghia coupe 1966
VW ID.4 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Viktor Cz. wrote:
Yes, definitely

That's the part alright.Thanks to you guys for confirming that I have coupe pieces. I think I can trim them to fit into the smaller space in the convertible.
And wouldn't you know it, while I was in the back I happened to open the seat bottom to see if there was any more pieces hiding under there...
Once I got the light in there I saw that the vertical bit that comes up from the heater pipe was smushed in on the driver's side. I have a vague memory of trying to use a hydraulic press to push out the passenger side quarter panel back in the '90's, before I found a straight fender and cut the whole damaged part off and replaced it. Must have repressed the memory of doing that. Embarassed
Now to figure how to unpress it... Evil or Very Mad
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Viktor Cz. wrote:
Yes, definitely

Does anyone have information as to how Karmann mounted this padding?
Were they just held in place with metal tabs? Were they glued down as well? If so, any suggestions on type of glue?
And then was the carpet then glued to these?

I have the adhesive backed rubber sheet type sound proofing but it seems so permanent? If moisture gets under the new style rubber sheets, I don't see that it could breath and dry out.
I'd like to have someway to be able to still get to the metal to check for rust in the future if needed.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

This came with a Ghia a recently picked up. I don't know what it's for. it does have a VW logo on the back.
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

On my Ghia it was used for the rear window defroster. Located under dash on the left side of the steering wheel. I have seen the same switch referenced as a done light switch too.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Agreed, my switch like that connects to rear window defroster. You can also try checking the wiring schematic and it may match the colors of the wires.

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rich caramadre wrote:
This came with a Ghia a recently picked up. I don't know what it's for. it does have a VW logo on the back.

It's also a Bus rear dome light switch that goes on the left side of the speedo pod to turn the rear dome light on/off

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. My Ghia is a 58' so I think it will go in the parts bin. Smile
Propdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Looking for help with identifying this part and where the hose connects to. Off a 70 autostick, drivers side... pic taken from under vehicle looking up.
Right now the hose is just loose resting above the transmission.
Also, almost looks like the open port should have a hose connected to it as well.
Any thoughts on that?

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 37

Jump to: