Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

exhaust info
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: exhaust info Reply with quote

I haven't stumbled across anything on this subject, so my apologies if it's been discussed already.
I was wondering if anyone had good hard data on at what point it pays to change the exhaust system? As an example, a fairly stock 1600 with single port heads, maybe an upgrade to dual carbs. Does it pay to go to a header system? What gains would you achieve?
So many other topics are discussed ad nauseam, I'm kind of surprised I haven't come across this info.
Also, what about headers vs the "Euro" style exhausts that have the two tips that exit through the rear skirt? Horsepower gains?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

How to hot rod your acvw engine had a section on this. Do you have the book? I can pull numbers if you would like.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

A completely stock 1600 will benefit 3-4 HP from a 4 into 1 merged header. It can also increase 2-3 more MPG.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos

Last edited by vwracerdave on Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From the Fisher book.

How accurate is it? Idk...
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

I had that book maybe 40 years ago...probably sold it when I sold off all my air cooled stuff mid-80's. I have no doubt those numbers are at least somewhat accurate,at least as it relates to the gains from different mods.

For comparison's sake, I would really like see a test where the intake was upgraded first, then the exhaust changed. Pretty much the reverse of what they did.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

Well, you could always do just that on your own car Wink it would be a good excuse to get her tuned in at the dyno.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe the SOP dyno...LOL
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

The butt dyno work well also...
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

Also keep in mind a stock bug was built with specific specification to prolong the engines life, give best fuel economy and reliability.

Any changes create a chain reaction of parts which will move away from the mfgs. specs.

Simple example, when EMPI sold quality parts, I bought my first bug in 1969.

I wanted the car to have a bit more power and have the awesome Extractor Sound.

I bought the extractor and with it came a larger Main Jet . I asked what the heck to I have to use that for and they said the extractor will lean out your fuel mixture and without it you may burn out a valve.

Ok then came the 009 distributor and Chrome Air Cleaner, ha.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

Yup, absolutely. Any one change affects how the other systems have to work.

What it boils down to is I have a 69 Beetle with the original 1500 engine. At some point the #3/4 cylinder head was replaced (we all know the likely reason for that...). Not sure what else may have been done at that time. The engine runs fairly strong, considering it's been napping the past 11 years (at least). Provided the case isn't beat to hell, what I would like to do is freshen it up, put in 87 mm pistons and cylinders, have the heads rebuilt, add either a good progressive carb and manifold or a set of dual single barrels. I don't intend to take the revs higher than what the original crank is capable of. Would just like a bit more power and responsiveness within the normal rev range. Having had header systems in the past, I would like to stay with something closer to a stock exhaust. (I do have a more highly modified engine that's been sitting in my garage for 25 years, but that's a different story...)
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with the systems made by Vintage Speed? They seem to be about what I'm looking for. I don't mind the price too much since they'll probably outlast me
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

johnnyvw164 wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the systems made by Vintage Speed? They seem to be about what I'm looking for. I don't mind the price too much since they'll probably outlast me

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

read up sir Smile

also, the owner had dozens of youtube video on their exhaust systems installed on different cars. he has sound and driving clips.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

Just because something looks really cool does not mean it functions correctly. Don't be fooled by looks. Some of those $700- $800 exhaust systems do not perform as any better then a plain jane 150 header.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

Several years ago the British VW magazine VolksWorld had an article where they tested numerous exhaust systems on a mostly stock Beetle engine. They also rated them as to the cost vs power increase. I'm fairly certain the article has been shown in previous Samba posts as reference.

Found it: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1859041.jpg
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I was looking for. The smaller HP gains don't necessarily put me off, but the fitting issues some people have had certainly do. I was honestly surprised by the difference in gains from a single quiet muffler to either a dual muffler or the glass pack. And I had considered that "all in one"...not now!!
Again, many thanks...great community here. SO much easier to get good information compared to the 40 years ago!LOL
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

If it isn't too loud for you, I've always thought that a basic, quality header and a glasspack is hard to beat. They perform well, look the part, and are an affordable solution. Testing usually shows them to be a very good option for performance.

That, or the vintage speed sport exhaust. It's not a header and doesn't perform as well, but it fits and exits out of the stock locations. Expensive for what they are though, and older ones had issues with welds failing.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust info Reply with quote

In 1971, when I took my driver's test, I had a 64 Beetle with a glass pack. 15 seconds into the test, the examiner had me pull over to the inspection station at the facility because he thought there wasn't a muffler on the car. As you might imagine, it had me pretty rattled for the rest of the test LOL But I passed...

For the engine I mentioned, a closer to stock look and fit has a lot of attraction, which is why I started this thread. For the other motor I have, definitely will go with a header system, and from the results of that one article, will go with dual mufflers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: