Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grille restoration / refinishing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

After adding the super-shiny Jetta badge to my freshly painted grill I sprayed the worn old badge with Krylon paint and reinstalled it. I can't say that I prefer one over the other. I'll drive around with the black one for a while.

Was...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is (need to clean off the bugs)...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
...I am now replacing the grille with the usual repro and wondering whether to paint or use the foil and if paint - how much to cover.

Grille is now trimmed in metallic tape (about ¼" wide used instead of original paint.

Upper is new from Bus Depot, lower is original in Krylon.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

I'm going back and forth between all black or with a chrome badge and trim ring. Every time I see one with a nice silver trim ring I'm impressed by how good it looks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

I finally got around to restoring my grill. Mine is the early style with the painted rim. It took a while to figure out the right color. Eventually I remembered about 15 years ago I painted my stock hubcaps with this paint. It was a good match and it held up very nicely. I assumed VW probably used the same or similar color on the grill. In the end it’s a very close match. It has slightly more metal flake, but it’s a great match to my Gowesty wheels.

Before:

During:

After:

I’m thrilled with the result. I should have done this years ago.
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
I finally got around to restoring my grill. Mine is the early style with the painted rim. It took a while to figure out the right color. Eventually I remembered about 15 years ago I painted my stock hubcaps with this paint. It was a good match and it held up very nicely. I assumed VW probably used the same or similar color on the grill. In the end it’s a very close match. It has slightly more metal flake, but it’s a great match to my Gowesty wheels.

I’m thrilled with the result. I should have done this years ago.

Looks great! Did you spray black the rest of the grill first? Or was it in decent shape already? Mine’s not OE but is pretty faded.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

I did not have to repaint the black part but I don’t see why you couldn’t if yours is faded.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

What kind of prep work did you do? Some sanding, or just cleaning and degreasing?
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

I lightly scuffed it with a Scotchbrite pad and cleaned it well. The masking is tedious but the entire project only took a couple hours from removal to installation. That paint dries in 30 minutes.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
I lightly scuffed it with a Scotchbrite pad and cleaned it well. The masking is tedious but the entire project only took a couple hours from removal to installation. That paint dries in 30 minutes.
And it looks great!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

I concur! thanks for the tips.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

Those headlights look cool. What brand/type are they?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Those headlights look cool. What brand/type are they?

GE Nighthawk LEDs. They are rebranded Trucklites with a chrome stripe added.

I got a chance to check out my grill work in the daylight today. I really like the paint choice. It has just the right amount or gloss/matte to look factory.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

I’m happy to report the Rustoleum wheel paint trim on my grille still looks 100% stock and factory new. I highly recommend this for early grilles.
WestiT3_1986
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Grille restoration / refinishing Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:
...I am now replacing the grille with the usual repro and wondering whether to paint or use the foil and if paint - how much to cover.

Grille is now trimmed in metallic tape (about ¼" wide used instead of original paint.

Upper is new from Bus Depot, lower is original in Krylon.

How did you get the round edges made- could you stretch the tape?
Do you have some closer pictures?
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: