Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:

Pro tip: Your fancy new free editing software is likely to have capabilities for seamlessly expunging roadkill incidents.

Yeah...a Pigeon, leisurely strolling across the road. Rolling Eyes I did miss it.

I made an earlier version of the published one but my wife said I should delete a FFS expletive after an old timer blocked half a narrow road in the town with a first class piece of illegal parking. I tried to edit it out but ruined the sound sync so it all had to go. Sad
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Pro tip: Your fancy new free editing software is likely to have capabilities for seamlessly expunging roadkill incidents.

Yeah...a Pigeon, leisurely strolling across the road. Rolling Eyes I did miss it.

I made an earlier version of the published one but my wife said I should delete a FFS expletive after an old timer blocked half a narrow road in the town with a first class piece of illegal parking. I tried to edit it out but ruined the sound sync so it all had to go. Sad

Look into “ducking”. Lowering the volume of a section (i.e. ducking under).
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Trylon wrote:

No doubt it was some inconsiderate fool that thinks he can park anywhere and block whomever just so that he can take that special photo of his classic car.

Don't you just hate people like that?
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Wait, whoa, what! You sure you didn’t stop at the tipsy pig? That video made me feel drunk, driving on the wrong side of the road. Shame on you Laughing

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

No doubt it was some inconsiderate fool that thinks he can park anywhere and block whomever just so that he can take that special photo of his classic car.

Don't you just hate people like that?

Yep I usually tell the officials at the local Town Hall when I will be paying a visit and they set up a welcoming committee but this time I just played it off the cuff. Backfired on me that time so I will be writing a stern rebuke to the mayor, I'm sure they will be mortified. Mad

lonotch wrote:
Wait, whoa, what! You sure you didn’t stop at the tipsy pig? That video made me feel drunk, driving on the wrong side of the road. Shame on you Laughing

It's funny you should feel like that as there is a local saying, "He was so drunk he must have been to Romsey" which is a reference to an ancient charter that gave the local inhabitants of Romsey the right to brew their own beer and sell it from their houses. At one time there were said to be over 80 beer houses in the small market town. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
That video made me feel drunk, driving on the wrong side of the road. Shame on you Laughing

Just for you Neil I've been out and shot some more video for you this morning. This time I'm mostly driving down the middle of the road so you won't feel queezy. Wink

There are downside to this as you'll see around the 17 minute mark. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

Last edited by John Moxon on Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

What gorgeous scenery! Are those mostly one or two lane roads? There were plenty of areas where it didn't seem possible two vehicles could possibly fit.
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
What gorgeous scenery! Are those mostly one or two lane roads? There were plenty of areas where it didn't seem possible two vehicles could possibly fit.

Yes most of those roads are single lane...if you've not seen the whole video, fast forward to 17 minutes and you'll see how tight those roads are. They were originally unmade cart tracks. Very Happy
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Between those skinny roads and blind corners you are a brave man, is it harder to navigate with your car being LHD? I can see it being easier to get as close to the side of the road as possible, but I’d be scared not knowing how close the other cars are to you on the right hand side when passing.

German Folks
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Delightful! Harrowing! Cautionary!
Could only relax because I knew you had made it home to post it.

Thanks John!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
Between those skinny roads and blind corners you are a brave man, is it harder to navigate with your car being LHD? I can see it being easier to get as close to the side of the road as possible, but I’d be scared not knowing how close the other cars are to you on the right hand side when passing.

I've never found it a problem driving a LHD car in the UK. You often see questions in the UK about how easy is it to convert an import to RHD. The correct answer is it's a lot easier to drive a LHD than convert one. Laughing

Those rural roads are fun to drive as long as you don't go mad. When I was a youngster I used to drive those roads on "twelve car rallies" at night and we did go mad...70mph down those single track roads in the dark feels like 100. Shocked Laughing When you're a kid you feel indestructible. Rolling Eyes

Trylon wrote:
Delightful! Harrowing! Cautionary!
Could only relax because I knew you had made it home to post it.

Thanks John!

It's all about what you're used to Michael. Very Happy
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I have driven those roads a number of times (clearly not as often as you) and can’t imagine ever getting used to someone coming around the corner at a clip and me with nowhere to hide.

That said, those roads must be wider than I realized as I did not think it would have been possible for those vehicles to get by you on them. Particularly where you seem to have no turn out room at all.

Imagine the nasty scrape you almost caused along their costly vehicle.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Haha...yep that truck looked quite new...good job I was driving an old one and fortunate the Ambulance wasn't on an emergency call. These single track roads always have passing points so it's down to the vehicle facing uphill to back down to the nearest passing point...when on the flat I think size counts. Wink

Next request for the Ghia travelogue...The New Forest or Winchester, the old capital of England. Smile
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Haha...yep that truck looked quite new...good job I was driving an old one and fortunate the Ambulance wasn't on an emergency call. These single track roads always have passing points so it's down to the vehicle facing uphill to back down to the nearest passing point...when on the flat I think size counts. Wink

Next request for the Ghia travelogue...The New Forest or Winchester, the old capital of England. Smile

I'd like to request a video of you driving around the Magic Forest of Hogwarts, but I'd settle for a trip down Diagon Alley, and a stop at The Leaky Cauldron.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Didn’t see there was a poll in this response. Winchester would be my druthers, thanks!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

I'd like to request a video of you driving around the Magic Forest of Hogwarts, but I'd settle for a trip down Diagon Alley, and a stop at The Leaky Cauldron.

It may come as a bit of a surprise to you but I had to Google your request. After extensive research I found the nearest portal is for pedestrian transference only so sadly I've had to strike your suggestion from the list. Sad

Trylon wrote:
Didn’t see there was a poll in this response. Winchester would be my druthers, thanks!

Yes I favour Winchester, I haven't driven the Ghia around there since Mike Gregory added one of my pictures to the front cover of his parts catalog.

Weather's looking good for next week and it's only 10 miles. Smile
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Went and shot some video of a tour around old Winchester this morning. The place is quite busy and riddled with plastic cars but I manages to exclude most of them in my pictures. Still working on the video...but that later.

A few pictures anyway.

The Bishop's house.

The house in College Street where Jane Austin "popped her clogs"

A furtive sneak around the back of Winchester Cathedral where I did my usual, "Yes it's a 1958 Ferrari 250GT Zagato"

...and a stop on leaving the Cathedral Close to reprise a picture I took 12 years ago.

moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Superb photos as usual, John!
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I think I made the right choice!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

After watching your video I no longer wonder why 36hp is just fine for you Shocked Shocked Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 46

Jump to: