Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

ha ha, i thought that also, the friend has two right now, ready to sell, a 1991 wolfram grey syncro westy, completely original paint, under 100k miles, REAL pretty, has a front mounted winch i think, swing out with tire on the back, it's been under a cover for so long, i can't remember much more about it, they came back with $75k on that one, and a 1990 2wd westy, every nut and bold has been of, fresh paint, burgandy, interior is extremely clean, new engine, new trans, suspension has been gone through, new everything, they gave him a value of $60k on that one, we thought mid $40's, it was a shock to see $59,950.
he's not ready to sell either just yet, he like to know they are there.

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I don't even want to know what GW would say my van is worth. The letter comes back with 1 sentence, "You'd have to pay the seller $52.37 to take it."

619 201 0310
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
ha ha, i thought that also, the friend has two right now, ready to sell, a 1991 wolfram grey syncro westy, completely original paint, under 100k miles, REAL pretty, has a front mounted winch i think, swing out with tire on the back, it's been under a cover for so long, i can't remember much more about it, they came back with $75k on that one, and a 1990 2wd westy, every nut and bold has been of, fresh paint, burgandy, interior is extremely clean, new engine, new trans, suspension has been gone through, new everything, they gave him a value of $60k on that one, we thought mid $40's, it was a shock to see $59,950.
he's not ready to sell either just yet, he like to know they are there.
GoWesty has a vested interest in keeping prices high, artificially or otherwise. How much would Valdes actually pay for those vans?

The Vanagon scatter graph that JimF posted is chock full of real prices, not dreams.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

Hate to burst the bubble, prices in CA aren't inflated. There's money down there and people are willing to pay. A friend whos brother-in-law is a surgeon in the bay area dropped $65k for a syncro westy. People in GW land are getting those kind of prices.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Hate to burst the bubble, prices in CA aren't inflated. There's money down there and people are willing to pay. A friend whos brother-in-law is a surgeon in the bay area dropped $65k for a syncro westy. People in GW land are getting those kind of prices.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the fair market value of this '85 2WD Westy with 2.5 subaru in Utah. Is the 2.5 subaru even legal in CA?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I don't even want to know what GW would say my van is worth. The letter comes back with 1 sentence, "You'd have to pay the seller $52.37 to take it."

i'll make you a deal, pay me $40.00 and i'll take it Wink

BiWerks Design, LLC
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

Thanks for caring and thinking about me ?Waldo?! Just did a 5 hour trip with a new a/c relay, blue sea 25 amp breaker and new GW A/C switch. Fresh Redtek charge. Had cold air entire trip with no heat issues.

Just got off the Columbia and had a nice 98 degree shower with my antiquated hot water heater. Hope my steam powered solar & battery system holds out for espresso in the morning!

Oh, almost forgot I just pulled a perfectly chilled Citrus Mistress out of my ugly black highly efficient Vitrifrigo fridge. Might pull a few ice cube out tonight for cocktails.

Last edited by scottjk on Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

I think low 20k’s (or high teens for quickness) is a fair price for your van. And you mentioned the engine had recent work too, so it’s not tired?
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

Engine is zero time build by Metric Motors. Currently has about 12k miles.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

scottjk wrote:
Thanks for caring and thinking about me ?Waldo?! Just did a 5 hour trip with a new a/c relay, blue sea 25 amp breaker and new GW A/C switch. Fresh Redtek charge. Had cold air entire trip with no heat issues.

You're welcome, although at this point odds are good I care more about the future potential purchaser than I do about you.

The considerate thing to do when you start a thread discussing an issue and then solve the issue, is to report back with the solution to the issue so that others with a similar issue who search the forums can benefit from the knowledge. That turns the thread into a bit of give and take rather than just take. You might consider updating your threads so you aren't 'that guy'.

How many miles on the van?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
You might consider updating your threads so you aren't 'that guy'.

that is the worst, esp when the thread is several years old and there are several "so, did you solve it" responses in the subsequent years.

BiWerks Design, LLC
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

Thanks again Waldo for taking the time out of most likely busy day. Due to the fact that yesterday was the test run to make sure it was 100% fixed and that I've been busy on the river all day I'll get right on my report tomorrow morning!
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

i can only speak from what i know, what ever GW appraises, my friends vans at, thet's the number he's sold them at, no haggling, no arguing, all have been sold in a very short time period, people across the country come down here with their $, when there's a nice bus forsale.
Jake de Villiers wrote:
GoWesty has a vested interest in keeping prices high, artificially or otherwise. How much would Valdes actually pay for those vans?

The Vanagon scatter graph that JimF posted is chock full of real prices, not dreams.

619 201 0310
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

You're an interesting person. You ask for a price check but when given good feedback or are asked straightforward questions that will allow people to support you, you decline to answer and get snarky.

scottjk wrote:
Thanks for the input Mark. I'm not sure how you'd do on the Price is Right though.

scottjk wrote:
Thanks again Waldo for taking the time out of most likely busy day...I've been busy on the river all day I'll get right on my report tomorrow morning!

Are you interested in feedback or is your post disingenuous?

scottjk wrote:

Oh, almost forgot I just pulled a perfectly chilled Citrus Mistress out of my ugly black highly efficient Vitrifrigo fridge. Might pull a few ice cube out tonight for cocktails.

I also enjoy the benefits of a Vitrifrigo but I don't have to look past a disrupted Westy kitchen to open the fridge, I open this door:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Interesting history of this van, melting wires, mold, rust, etc.

scottjk wrote:
1985 Westfalia

I'm burning up A/C switches. As you can see from the photo the Black/Red 12v wire is getting up to 150 degrees F. It melted the plastic housing which I removed.

Trouble shooting so far... Deoxit ground star terminals as well as rear spring resistor plate that resides inside the evaporator box. Deoxit the switch mechanics. Installed new 2GA transmission ground strap.

I've ordered a new ground tree to offload my grounds behind the dash.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

scottjk wrote:
I'm having an interesting issue with my 1985 Westfalia. The 25amp AC fuse gets super hot. Running at full I can't touch it... running at half it's hot but I can leave my finger on the metal piece at the end of the fuse assembly.

The second issue is I installed the GoWesty SA headlight kit with the 60/55W H4's and the N453 55W inner bulbs. The spade connector to my driver's side lamps melted the plastic connectors. Through troubleshooting I found that even when I have the inner lamps completely disconnected when I select high beam the wire to the right lamp gets extremely hot.

I never added and additional 'tree' grounding terminal. I ended up piggy backing a dual spade adapter to the installed grounding tree. I'm wondering if I don't have adequate grounding.

It's odd that the AC and Lights seem to have the same problem which leads me to believe it's grounding but I'm not an electrical expert. Any advice would be appreciated!

scottjk wrote:
Swapping out my HD's to GoWesty HD's.

Front lower mounting bolt is super seized inside the shock mount. I have tried PB Blaster, heat, 5lb sledge, and 1/2 impact. It will flex a bit when turned but won't break loose from the shock body.

Only other thing I can think of is super heat with acetylene, which I don't have.

Any ideas?

Scott

scottjk wrote:
We just moved from Salt Lake to Seattle six months ago. The rain and moisture is taking a toll on my Westy. Not as water tight as I had thought.

Can you NW people recommend a good dehumidifier or any tricks for keeping the mold down inside the van?

Thanks

Scott

scottjk wrote:
I've located what appears to be the circuit that is draining my battery. While digging through the Bentley pages 97.61 through 97.66 I don't see the panel layout like I do on page 97.67 for the 1986 and newer. Can someone point me to a fuse/relay panel diagram for the Digijet 1985 model?

The fuse in question is eight spaces from the left. I suppose tonight I can turn everything on and find out what isn't working with that fuse out but I'd really like a panel diagram.

Thanks

Scott

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

I'm absolutely open to input and always have been. What I'm not open to is people calling in to question my character by claiming I'm "shamelessly" posting an ad on the forum and then later implying that I will be an unscrupulous seller. I simply copy and pasted a word document I had put together to give people when they ask about the van instead trying to always remember everything that has been done. Before I list it I wanted to get feedback to arrive at a fair number for everybody. I only have an issue with one user in this thread. I actually had a great laugh from the post that called my van ugly, although I cried myself to sleep that night. If the new owner is more concerned about beauty over function I've saved the original fridge door. I also have a full roll of formica that perfectly matches the interior. Easy to cut a door panel. Not important to me.

The history isn't any more interesting than a typical 35 year old vehicle. The issues you sited have all been properly addressed. The majority of the upgrades and additions have been done over the past 5 years prior to a 6 month Baja trip. Van has 198k miles. Seldom driven in winter with very little undercarriage surface rust. Tent replaced with Ateliers 3 window... this is in reference to the mold encounter I had when we first moved to Seattle. It was caused by torrential pnw hitting the drip rail and wicking up into the original tent and not being aired out properly. It has stayed in a garage when not being used since. Problem solved.

Last edited by scottjk on Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

That picture of the a/c switch shows perfectly what the culprit was. The power lug of the switch was loose causing a sporadic connection which ultimately created the resistance that melted the fuse. New GW switch, Blue Sea 25 amp thermal breaker, New 30 amp relay. Ran perfectly for 5 hours straight. Wife even told me to turn it down. Not sure how many vanagons actually have their a/c thermostat knob used.

SA Headlight issue was confirmed by GW. The original kits created to much draw. Replaced with 55/60 H4. Replace splice splice connector. Fixed.

My threads will be updated at some point.
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

Do you have the Vitrifrigo installed behind the original door? Looks great!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: ** Price Check ** 1985 Westfalia EJ25 Overland Build Reply with quote

No doubt about it... tough crowd here.

Useful prep if you do decide to go with a commentary auction like BaT where a thick skin is sometimes required.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: