Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex thermostat adjusting, moving the whole range downward
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the resistor, I ended up with a 17.2k resistor (15k + 2.2k in series) and I think it is just right, in the evening when it cools down and I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt, right when I think "its a little cool in here" I can get the heater to turn on if I turn the thermostat to the max setting. This is of course an extreme example as if I were really somewhere cold I'd just have more clothes on. This assumes the lowest setting is around 35-40 degrees which I think it will be,and I'll be able to test that out when I get home in a week or so.

westyventures wrote:
jackbombay wrote:
Witless Joe wrote:
jackbombay wrote:
the van

Is this on the Sprinter, or did you get another Vanagon?

El sprinter.

I know that is no Vanagon, but inquiring/interested minds would like to see what you've done with the interior. My 'next' camper is going to be a custom Sprinter also. Cool

I'll start a thread in the Off Topic forum in 5 days or so and post a link here, I will be on a river trip till the 4th Very Happy I'm just waiting for my wife and friends to get here and we'll be on the water tomorrow morning!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
In the older Compact 1600 the post purge cycle is controlled by a 60 degree n/o thermostat in the heater, but of course under normal running that temperature would not be reached unless the heater was forced to run hot.
If that thermistor was changed for a 50 degree thermostat it may persuade it to come on more readily.

Thanks Karl, that's good info, and I'll try it out. If I can't get that to work, I'll just use a time delay relay to energize the fan circuit when the thermostat shuts the furnace down.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a bit of a warm spring here o I haven't been able to test this out as much as I'd like, but we did get to 32* a couple days ago, and I had to turn the dial down to ~%30 of its max setting to get the heater to turn off, so the lowest setting is probably about 20*?. This is with 17,200k of resistance.

So, the 15k ohm resistor will probably be just about right all in all, yea, imagine that, the guys that designed it had the right idea right off the bat.

We're supposed to be down to 28* Saturday morning so I'll check where the 15k resistor puts the low end of the thermostat then.

Samba ad here.

kybishop
Samba Member

Location: Where the wind is blowing, the mountains calling, and the adventure waiting

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jack,

Any updates on where the 15k resistor puts the low end of the thermostat?

Much thanks for your experiments!
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I never did update this, I do have the 15k resistor in and it is just about right, turned all the way down puts the inside of the van in the mid 30's.

Samba ad here.

kybishop
Samba Member

Location: Where the wind is blowing, the mountains calling, and the adventure waiting

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! thanks again

Sounds like a very nice sweet-spot. Just warm enough to keep things from freezing at night, and still a lot of range to get you nice and toasty after an especially cold winter outing.
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think where you install the thermostat is important, as well. Too far away from the heater, and the heater will never shut off when it's really cold outside. Also, I'd keep the t-stat away from the windows and don't mount it to any body metal.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FNGRUVN wrote:
I think where you install the thermostat is important, as well. Too far away from the heater, and the heater will never shut off when it's really cold outside. Also, I'd keep the t-stat away from the windows and don't mount it to any body metal.

YES!

The colder it is outside, the warmer the propex will keep the interior, if you have the thermostat mounted to the body metal.

Samba ad here.

skimhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex thermostat adjusting, moving the whole range downward Reply with quote

Why are images so fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex thermostat adjusting, moving the whole range downward Reply with quote

skimhead wrote:
Why are images so fuzzy?

Their Photobucket membership expired, I assume, so they blur the images. That's why it's always best to put your pictures directly on The Samba so they are there forever. Assuming The Samba is here forever and it darn well better be... I rely on it too much for it to ever go away!
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
inorganic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack - do you happen to have install photos of your HS2800? I am about to install mine under the rear bench, passenger side with the rear heater still installed. Its a tight fit and i looking for how others managed it.

cheers!

jackbombay wrote:
I'll throw a high low thermometer in the van witht the proper running when I get home and let you know.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: