Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what subaru engines are available for conversions?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
camo westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subaru lifters chatter due to too thick oil viscosity.
5W-30 is the oil to use, the motor was designed to operate with that weight oil.
I have had several Subarus, one is in my Vanagon, 10W-40 or 10W30 both make the lifters/valvetrain rattle, especially when cold, switch to 5W-30 and the noise is gone...instantly. I know the old theory thicker is better.. not so, I have a Subbie Outback with 150K miles, motor runs just fine, always had the reccommended 5W-30 oli in it.

If you want more power, and live in the left coast state of radical change, I suggest a bastard conversion, use the OBD1 fuel injection/engine management on a late single cam 2.5. It works just fine, the difference in displacement is not enough to have adverse on the ECU. 30 more h.p.

There are more happy Vanagon drivers with Subaru conversions than all other conversions put together. The Bostig is nicely done, but you will pay for it. 6 cylinder Subarus, also great , but ya better rebuild the tranny up front, or you will be repairing it shortly. Ticos are for purists, and hev had some vibration issues.

One other note, more power means you will need more brakes.

When I did my rehabing on my 85, I put Van-Cafe big brakes on when t he Subaru motor went in. I also replaced every wear item (all bushings, balll joints) on the suspension, and installed Bilstein HD shocks, with new springs
Yup... she is nice and tight, goes up hills real fine. Fun being able to shift down to 3rd at 55 mph and accelerate fast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto camo westy

I read the posts and am following the path
Svx with 50.000 mi freshening(seals and belts) syncro locker tranny, refreshed and regeared by AAA. decoupler from Kirk
Clks with lugs from Loogy
.Small cars mounts and adapter.
Van-cafe Big brakes on, but not tested
...and soon a reversed manifold..gotta find the $$
and still working on the wiring...sheeesh!!!

Thanks to the forum for all the good advice..priceless
See ya @ Syncro-de Mayo 2008
Owen
odell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: EJ255 in a Syncro ... Reply with quote

So,

I'm still waiting to get an answer from the Yahoo group and I'm going to post this in another spot on Samba so I apologize if you read the same sounding paragraph twice but has anyone ever put an EJ255 in a Syncro? I assume that there is enough room and that the mounting points are the same as the other EJ25 engines but I'm still going through the data. Follow up questions would be;

Clutch recommendations, since the EJ255 puts 250 hp what would an appropriate upgrade be?

Harness issues? ... Assuming I have all the parts is it the same retro fiting the harness and ecu like it would be with a normal 2.5L?

Has any one ever purchased the conversion kits from smallcar.com? Has anyone had any work done there? Any feedback?

Does anybody have any bad feedback about AA transaxle? I assume not since I have only heard good things?
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odell, I'm sure the stage two clutch that SCP sells for the 3.3 will work out for you. The 3.3 is 230hp, so 30 more....
Here's a better idea, Using an RJES bellhousing allows you to retain the Subaru flywheel and clutch, so the proper clutch set up for your motor is being used. Cost of the bellhousing is about$1100, apapter plate, flywheel $500, stage two clutch, $350. Ya a bit more but the reviews are great.
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
Yes, it will work. However that is the dreaded Phase I 2.5 DOHC. The 1999 and later Phase II SOHC is the one to get ...

I have a question about this...are the head gaskets the only reason the early 2.5 is "dreaded"? My understanding is that the new gaskets available are better and resolve the issue. So, if I were to get an engine that's had the gaskets done (or plan on redoing them myself before install), would the DOHC 2.5 be a decent choice? Or are there other reliability reasons to go with the later 2.5 (aside from lower miles, etc.)?
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: EJ255 in a Syncro ... Reply with quote

Certainly, outside the Vanagon world there have been a ton of turbo conversions--I'm thinking mainly sand rails and from mostly from JDM sources.

Check out these guys:
http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com

As far as Vanagons go, both the 2.0l WRX and 2.5l STI motors have been successfully installed, but none that I know of have passed CARB in CA. Definitely ask Smallcar--they are familiar with the WRX conversions.

WRX Vanagons here:
http://www.vwrx.com/

STI Vanagon here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2301589

Another alternative is the 1.8 VW turbo, and this shop is in Sacramento. So, I'm sure they can advise on the feasibility of a turbo in CA.

http://www.stephansautohaus.com/vanagon-division/

You live in CA, and it seems that everyone with a street legal turbo-Vanagon does not (with a very small handful of exceptions). And I think you'll notice the majority of posts on the yahoosubaruvanagon site are concerning the 2.2l conversion since most live in CA. So the absence of information about the ej255 and ej257 is actually part of the knowledge base.

So, I'm not sure what I'm trying to say, but you have some hoops to jump through if you try a turbo conversion in CA.

Good Luck!

Marc

odell wrote:
So,

I'm still waiting to get an answer from the Yahoo group and I'm going to post this in another spot on Samba so I apologize if you read the same sounding paragraph twice but has anyone ever put an EJ255 in a Syncro? I assume that there is enough room and that the mounting points are the same as the other EJ25 engines but I'm still going through the data. Follow up questions would be;

Clutch recommendations, since the EJ255 puts 250 hp what would an appropriate upgrade be?

Harness issues? ... Assuming I have all the parts is it the same retro fiting the harness and ecu like it would be with a normal 2.5L?

Has any one ever purchased the conversion kits from smallcar.com? Has anyone had any work done there? Any feedback?

Does anybody have any bad feedback about AA transaxle? I assume not since I have only heard good things?

AVM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

Hey friends!

So I'm working on trying to get my hands on a Subaru engine so that I can convert my '85 for my move from Oregon to Colorado in mid October. I want to put in something reliable because this will also be my daily driver once I get out there. I've tried in vain to track down the elusive 2.2. I have a guy out here that's willing to help me get a nice, shiny 2.0 from Japan, but I've popped around on the forums for anything about 2.0 conversions, and I'm not really coming up with anything.

Thoughts for a conversion project newbie?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

This guy is awesome.

http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm

There are literally dozens of engines that can work. The pool dries a bit after 2003 or around there, but the EJ25x series all work. Colorado doesn't have an issue with what engine you put in, that is California.

Plenty of info on vanaru.com or busaru.com too.

Good luck.

I got he Kennedy kit, it fits well.

-bobby
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

You are better off to get a whole running car so you can salvage the engine,harness and ECU altogether.
John Lemley if he's still in business is in your area http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
You are better off to get a whole running car so you can salvage the engine,harness and ECU altogether.
John Lemley if he's still in business is in your area http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/

click links
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
I got my 2.5 Subaru engine from John - they pulled the engine and harness for me at a very fair price. Its still running strong.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

AVM wrote:
Hey friends!

So I'm working on trying to get my hands on a Subaru engine so that I can convert my '85 for my move from Oregon to Colorado in mid October. I want to put in something reliable because this will also be my daily driver once I get out there. I've tried in vain to track down the elusive 2.2. I have a guy out here that's willing to help me get a nice, shiny 2.0 from Japan, but I've popped around on the forums for anything about 2.0 conversions, and I'm not really coming up with anything.

I am in the process of doing a EJ20 from Japan (JDM) it seems like the same other than the wiring harness which I have been able to find diagrams online.

jdmfsm.info for reference.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

Don may not get in the vanagon forum too often..
but here's his take on JDM engines from a post last week.. I'll assume he'd say the same thing this week.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Rugvan wrote:

jdm engine with 50k miles on it, included is the turbo and harness I would have to source the computer..

bullshit, bullshit, bullshit....

any JDM I have ever seen has been a pile of junk. don't do it.

DO NOT fall for the JDM garbage...because that is what it is. I am in the Subaru swappers circle if you will and not one of my counterparts will touch ANYTHING JDM.

parts are NOT interchangeable from JDM and USDM units. everything is just different enough to be a total ass ache and the electronics are Japan/Asian market only. I have watched too many suffer thru this only to be let down. I strongly suggest you find a car built for the US market.

people have had little to no luck with the wiring diagrams for the JDM stuff and have let the magic smoke out of the ECU more than once.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Don may not get in the vanagon forum too often..
but here's his take on JDM engines from a post last week.. I'll assume he'd say the same thing this week.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Rugvan wrote:

jdm engine with 50k miles on it, included is the turbo and harness I would have to source the computer..

bullshit, bullshit, bullshit....

any JDM I have ever seen has been a pile of junk. don't do it.

DO NOT fall for the JDM garbage...because that is what it is. I am in the Subaru swappers circle if you will and not one of my counterparts will touch ANYTHING JDM.

parts are NOT interchangeable from JDM and USDM units. everything is just different enough to be a total ass ache and the electronics are Japan/Asian market only. I have watched too many suffer thru this only to be let down. I strongly suggest you find a car built for the US market.

people have had little to no luck with the wiring diagrams for the JDM stuff and have let the magic smoke out of the ECU more than once.

I have used JDM engines on both my Xterras. Never an issue.
AVM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
This guy is awesome.

http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm

There are literally dozens of engines that can work. The pool dries a bit after 2003 or around there, but the EJ25x series all work. Colorado doesn't have an issue with what engine you put in, that is California.

Plenty of info on vanaru.com or busaru.com too.

Good luck.

I got he Kennedy kit, it fits well.

-bobby

I've considered going with the 2.5. But I'm really worried about having to deal with blown headers. Which was a big reason why I wanted to try to get an Ej22. I know there's been talk about installing newer headers to prevent that issue, even so, I'm still hearing mixed reviews on how effective that really is.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

Captain Pike wrote:

I have used JDM engines on both my Xterras. Never an issue.

your Xterra isn't a Subaru, so there's that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

Just finished my second conversion a few days ago , first was my 85 weekender now in my 90 syncro...my 2 cents.

Find a 2000-2004 SOHC 2.5, moderate miles are fine. Pull the heads have them redone, put in new pistons and rings, head gaskets, water pump etc...None of that is at all that hard to do, no special tools needed, just basic skills and patience.

Get a harness made from Jeff at AutoVentures, they are the absolute best out there, truly plug and play. Period.

IMO the RMW kit is still the way to go for simplicity and quality, also Alex at RMW who handles orders is a great guy to help you order and sort out any issues along the way.

There are many,many years and types of Suby engines that can be used but the SOHC and the years I listed are tough as hell, easy to work on and find parts for, and the wiring harness is one of the easier to make up or have made, not to mention all of the info here on troubleshooting those years.

Good Luck, Todd
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

stupid question here - on this subject.
I have an '86 syncro that a previous owner installed a subaru legacy 2.2 motor with a kennedy conversion.

All is good and fine. But I always like to think of the future. If I ever had an extreme issue with this motor - will I need to get another 2.2 subaru to replace it? Or can I get any subaru motor - or rather what year/type motors can I use without having to replace the whole conversion kit?

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
stupid question here - on this subject.
I have an '86 syncro that a previous owner installed a subaru legacy 2.2 motor with a kennedy conversion.

All is good and fine. But I always like to think of the future. If I ever had an extreme issue with this motor - will I need to get another 2.2 subaru to replace it? Or can I get any subaru motor - or rather what year/type motors can I use without having to replace the whole conversion kit?

My 2.2 was getting a bit long in the tooth in my Westy, and I had RMW take it out and re-seal it (cam seals, belt, gaskets, etc.) That was four years ago and it's still humming along nicely for the new owner.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

AVM wrote:
Hey friends!

You know that's a month away? That's a short time table. The JDM engines I've seen are junk. Haven't seen a Subaru engine, but an engine program that wasn't sold in the US is a flawed program if you can't get parts for them at a later date.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: