Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 Subhatch Flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
BusDepot has the trim:

Excellent!

Link to the Black K-Trim is: https://www.busdepot.com/231867114b
Black T-trim is: https://www.busdepot.com/255070184bk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Next dumb question - I'm going to replace all of the window seals since most of these are crunchy, cracked, and several show signs of past leaks. Along with that, I'll be replacing the curtains.

The dumb question(s) - it looks like I have to pull the fridge cabinet out to access the fixed window behind it? To do that, it looks like I need to pull the bench/bed/water jug cabinet as well? And all of that needs to come out the cargo doors? So this isn't a 2 hour job? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Next dumb question - I'm going to replace all of the window seals since most of these are crunchy, cracked, and several show signs of past leaks. Along with that, I'll be replacing the curtains.

The dumb question(s) - it looks like I have to pull the fridge cabinet out to access the fixed window behind it? To do that, it looks like I need to pull the bench/bed/water jug cabinet as well? And all of that needs to come out the cargo doors? So this isn't a 2 hour job? Very Happy

Start by removing the "kickboards" down by your feet. Just go slowly and be careful not to chip any of the corners of laminate as you move/remove all of these pieces. Grab a handful of ziplock bags and post it notes so you can make notes of every little screw etc and where they go. Pictures are handy too.

There are quite a few points of anchor for that ice box cabinet. It helps a lot if you remove all of the doors and shelves, and also separate the roller cabinet before trying to move the ice box. Hardest part will be to try not to snap off any of the hardware that has been there for 50 years..
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

Start by removing the "kickboards" down by your feet. Just go slowly and be careful not to chip any of the corners of laminate as you move/remove all of these pieces. Grab a handful of ziplock bags and post it notes so you can make notes of every little screw etc and where they go. Pictures are handy too.

There are quite a few points of anchor for that ice box cabinet. It helps a lot if you remove all of the doors and shelves, and also separate the roller cabinet before trying to move the ice box. Hardest part will be to try not to snap off any of the hardware that has been there for 50 years..

Thanks. I'll try to remember "kickboards" since it's easier to type than what I said. Laughing

I keep a bag of ziplocks and a Sharpie in the garage for that exact purpose. None of my previous projects have been quite this scale, but the same theory applies...

And once I get a few of the screws out, I'm just going to order a big bag of stainless replacements. I already know some are missing and I'm 100% sure I'll have to grind the heads off of some of them...

stupid leaky windows... Brick wall
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Do everything you can think of when all the cabinets are out since you won't want to do it again for a while.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Do everything you can think of when all the cabinets are out since you won't want to do it again for a while.

I already don't want to do it.. Laughing

And I'm already bracing for at least one more removal when I start into rust removal mode... but yes, I 100% concur and appreciate the heads up.

(why is there no Thumbs Up emoji? Very Happy )
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Next random questions... working on replacing pop put seals (questions / comments in the pop out resto thread later) and it gave me a unique look into the closet and found a couple of small things I’m not clear on.

There’s a random looking screw in the top of the closet forward of the coat hanger bar. Random PO weirdness or does it serve a function! I couldn’t see anything on top of the cabinet that it might attach to and it’s not currently holding anything up...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Second one - inboard of the wheel well, there’s what looks like a chunk of linoleum showing. I’ve got too much junk in the back of the bus at the moment to really track this down, so is this what the linoleum in the back between the cabinet was supposed to look like? Mine was painted at some point and I’ve not been motivated enough to strip it to see what it’s supposed to look like..

Thanks for playing along! I’m 100% sure that this will not be the last of the random / noob-style questions... 😁
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

I'm not sure on the screw, I think it was added.

That linoleum is what would have been used in the rear area over the engine where the roller cabinet rolls. It was also used under the rear deck on the
'almost vertical' part of the firewall. Pretty sure they put it down there to help with noise suppression. Mine had that exact piece coming through the closet.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
I'm not sure on the screw, I think it was added.

That linoleum is what would have been used in the rear area over the engine where the roller cabinet rolls. It was also used under the rear deck on the
'almost vertical' part of the firewall. Pretty sure they put it down there to help with noise suppression. Mine had that exact piece coming through the closet.

Never can tell with this bus... lol

I’m surprised the rear deck linoleum is the same... it’s hiding under some gnarly green paint and the spots that where the paint has worn off it looks like it was the same color as the door panels...

And chance there’s a source for something close to the OG stuff that I can recover the back?

And some more random shots of the interior and more questions...

Started the day with a heaping helping of disappointment... I can get steel screws out of steel. But brass out of wood? Brick wall

Looks like a tie down point in the closet. For the rear seat in a non-camper?

I’m assuming the hatch prop rod is supposed to straight? Sorry for the crappy pic...

And I think I may have found the leak in the hatch seal... ugh...at least it’s an easy fix, provided there’s not a bunch of rust hiding under the super-thick paint.

But hey, it’s not all bad... OG jack and associated hardware hiding in the closet along with an interesting set of tire chains... Very Happy

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

I’m surprised the rear deck linoleum is the same... it’s hiding under some gnarly green paint and the spots that where the paint has worn off it looks like it was the same color as the door panels...

Maybe it isn't? I just assumed they would have used that same stuff up above, but maybe not? Mine was completely missing except for the piece in the closet.

Thompson2 wrote:

And chance there’s a source for something close to the OG stuff that I can recover the back?

I used some stuff that looks pretty good imo, but not close to og. It resembles that linen pattern on the table tops/cabinet doors. Check out my thread for more info, It's called Massimo Fusion by Armstrong.

Thompson2 wrote:

And some more random shots of the interior and more questions...

Looks like a tie down point in the closet. For the rear seat in a non-camper?

I’m assuming the hatch prop rod is supposed to straight? Sorry for the crappy pic...

And I think I may have found the leak in the hatch seal... ugh...at least it’s an easy fix, provided there’s not a bunch of rust hiding under the super-thick paint.

But hey, it’s not all bad... OG jack and associated hardware hiding in the closet along with an interesting set of tire chains... Very Happy

Yep, you are correct about the rear seat mount in the closet, and that prop rod should be straight.

Nice finds!! The jack and hardware looks nice. The chains bag is interesting Cool
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

that is a big bag of WEED
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
that is a big bag of WEED

It weighs a ton, but I’m having a hell of a time getting it to blaze. Laughing Laughing
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Put some temporary knobs onto the cup and booze cabinets so that they would stay shut and found yet another (small) oddity apparently not inflicted by a PO.

The catch for the cup cabinet had some weird wear to it that I posted previously and I couldn't imagine what they had done to get it to that state.
(Still looking for a replacement, in case someone has one lying around)

Well, mystery solved... doh!

New clip to hold the door shut. Tape is roughly even with the top of it.

Same piece of tape showing the offset from the catch position...

There's only 1 set of holes in the trim, so it looks like it's been this way since the beginning... Guess I'll be moving it....
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Posted this is a pop out window thread and got no responses, so we’ll try here.

I’m reworking my pop outs and needed to get replacement hardware for securing the frame pieces together. The WCM hardware is close but not the same as OG. The screws are a full millimeter longer and the taper on the head doesn’t fully seat into the countersink.

The extra length bothers me because I want to be sure it’s not so long that it’ll hit the glass when it’s tightened. The head not sitting flush bothers me because I’ve seen posts about how difficult it is to get the outer seal even without the head protruding into the groove. Am I being overly cautious or do I need to get replacement hardware? I’d really rather not shatter some OG glass...

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Success! Albeit a minor one... I’ll take small victories these days since garage time has been greatly reduced...

I found replacement catches for the cabinets. They’re vintage and close enough to the original that unless you’ve got them side by side you’ll never see the difference, the new one is very slightly taller (like 0.4mm) and the material it’s made of is thicker (1.3mm vs 1.1-ish). Length, width, slot sizes and spacing and all spot on.

I have a few extras if anyone is in need. I have some money in these, so they won’t quite be free.

OG on the left, “new” on the right

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Great find. Judging by your end-on photo it appears you could just hit the mountain top and the side would drop down to the same height overall as the other.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Great find. Judging by your end-on photo it appears you could just hit the mountain top and the side would drop down to the same height overall as the other.

Good eye. I didn't notice that before. I'm guessing that the originals have just deformed a bit over time. The closet door I tested it on opened/closed without any real problems, but we'll see if that holds on the smaller doors too.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Been a bit of a lull in progress on the bus, but I got a couple of things done in the past few months.

Got one pop out seal replaced. Still need to get the inner seal replaced and figure out how to make the window actually open without a humongous struggle. The caked on paint from the last “high quality” respray chipped off like crazy when the old seal was replaced so I had to spend some time trying (unsuccessfully) to get some matched touch up paint. Two weeks and multiple remixes got it close, but not exact.

And I finally got my home-brewed cabinet knobs installed. They’re pretty fiddley to get them installed and they’re not as nice as Greg’s, but I’m happy with them. I may tweak the design a little to address the installation and make the fit between the outer knob and the insert a bit better. They’re definitely an improvement over what was there before. Took a bunch of time to get the model close and to get the printing so that they could be polished up nicely. Center color is right between Greg’s repops and the small chunk of original I had on one cabinet.

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Some more detail on the knobs.

From left to right: OG knob, OG quality repop insert, my insert and my knob (3D printed). Remnants of an OG center in front.

And an un-assembled center. Bolt slides in and an insert piece locks it in with copious amounts of epoxy.

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Massively impressed with your work on those knobs! Applause

They really make a huge difference to the overall look of the interior.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 31

Jump to: