Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
If I had a diesel powered vanagon in some extreme cold place (not in US), I would run a coolant line along side the fuel line & wrap them together, and maybe under the fuel tank. Then, blocking the radiator with some type of cover would make more sense.

I still don't see what blocking the radiator would accomplish. Up until the point the thermostat is fully open (which would not happen in cold weather), the temperature of the coolant entering the engine would be the same regardless of whether or not the radiator is covered, because that is what the thermostat does as its function.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

To the OP, if your thermostat has a bleed hole, using a thermostat without the bleed hole will allow for better working heaters.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

I also find that the rear heater gets hot pretty quickly after the motor turns on. You should be able to get really warm by turning the rear fan on high.

I still vote for bad thermostat. I would think that a modern motor like that should throw a low temp code though.
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

If this is for the bitter cold of the east bay, where it can get down to 50 in the winter, I wouldn’t bother. It might be useful in cold country, but this sounds like a bad thermostat.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

If your rear heater has been removed and the hoses just looped together that will short circuit the flow to the front heater.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
To the OP, if your thermostat has a bleed hole, using a thermostat without the bleed hole will allow for better working heaters.

Good point, I neglected to mention it in my post. In at least one of my thermostats, I had drilled a bleed hole to help with difficulty in bleeding air out of my conversion cooling system.

It's amazing to think that the teeny tiny hole was enough to allow enough coolant to get through to the radiator to cool the engine too much, but it sure did.

With the TDI motor, running the heaters on full blast is more than enough to cool the engine, so that little bit of coolant passing through overcooled the engine.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

1) I'm going to assume it's plumbed correctly because the conversion was done professionally and the engine runs well and he's done many of these.
2) This only is a problem on the coldest days
3) Vintage Air is 100% recirculating and has already blocked all fresh air intake. The problem is
A. The water flowing through the front heater core isn't that hot on cold days, and
B. it needs to be 190 degrees or so with a small heater core. If I had a bigger heater core I might get away with 150 degrees to 170 degrees.
I'm going to ask and get a definite answer as to what thermostat was used.
• GoWesty Plate Steel Bumpers w/ front skid plate & rear swing-away spare carrier
• Big Shot Shifter
• Transaxle rebuilt with taller heavy-duty 4th gear, GoWesty decoupler and oiler plates by Ken at Porter's Precision
* TruckFridge
• Propex Heater
• Vintage Air in-dash A/C
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

I'd still advise pulling it and seeing what temperature it begins to open at-when it first starts to crack open.

Doesn't matter much what it was rated for when new, if it is opening up too early now.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

Insulating the heater hoses might help some.

If you already have the front heater air blocked, then blocking the radiator will do absolutely nothing to change the engine temps or the heater temps unless the thermostat is not functioning correctly.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
unless the thermostat is not functioning correctly.

i think this is the only plausible answer.

i refuse to believe a relatively inefficient gas engine in the back of a heavy brick fails to heat up, when that same engine stuffed in the front of a lighter fwd car where its exposed to ambient airflow over the engine itself, doesnt have issues getting up to temp.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

So, as I understand it, you are suggesting that thermostat is either stuck open, or is opening at too low a temperature?

But in answer to your statement ...

Why wouldn't blocking radiator allow engine to heat up more and then indirectly cause water flowing to heater core to be hotter?
• GoWesty Plate Steel Bumpers w/ front skid plate & rear swing-away spare carrier
• Big Shot Shifter
• Transaxle rebuilt with taller heavy-duty 4th gear, GoWesty decoupler and oiler plates by Ken at Porter's Precision
* TruckFridge
• Propex Heater
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

To answer WildThings, the rear heater core is still there and still works and I would really be screwed if it wasn't in the mix. I also have Propex, but not sure if I have the type of install that is safe to use while driving. Need to check on that. Also would like to save the propane for camp.
But in super cold weather am sure I would need good front heater core, too.
• Big Shot Shifter
* TruckFridge
• Propex Heater
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

michaeltag wrote:
So, as I understand it, you are suggesting that thermostat is either stuck open, or is opening at too low a temperature?

But in answer to your statement ...

Why wouldn't blocking radiator allow engine to heat up more and then indirectly cause water flowing to heater core to be hotter?

Once the coolant inside the engine (and bypass hose) reaches the temperature that the thermostat starts to open, the thermostat regulates the mix of the hot coolant from the bypass hose with the cold coolant from the radiator so that the coolant entering the engine is a relatively constant temperature regardless of the temperature of the coolant coming from the radiator. If the temperature of the coolant in the radiator is sub-zero, that will not affect the operating temperature of the engine because the thermostat will allow only enough sub-zero coolant into the mix so that the coolant entering the engine is the same constant temperature. If you block the radiator and and the coolant in it gets hotter, the thermostat (if functioning properly) will simply open further and the temperature of the mix of coolant from bypass hose and radiator will be the same temperature and the coolant flowing to the heater core will be the same temperature. Any increase in temperature of the coolant coming from the radiator will automatically be compensated for by the thermostat opening further, nullifying any effect that blocking the radiator might have on the temperature of the coolant in the radiator itself. The only time that blocking the radiator will make a difference in the coolant temps in the engine and heater circuit is if the thermostat is fully open which will not happen in cold weather. If the temperature gets hot enough that the thermostat IS fully open AND the radiator is blocked, then you will very likely overheat.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

michaeltag wrote:
To answer WildThings, the rear heater core is still there and still works and I would really be screwed if it wasn't in the mix. I also have Propex, but not sure if I have the type of install that is safe to use while driving. Need to check on that. Also would like to save the propane for camp.
But in super cold weather am sure I would need good front heater core, too.

If you block the radiator to the point that the thermostat can't do its job, then yes blocking the radiator would allow you to have more heat to the cab, but when you are climbing a long hill or returning to even a slightly warmer location you are like going to blow coolant and maybe damage something.

If your engine temp is only getting up to 70°C you have something wrong and need to fix it.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If your engine temp is only getting up to 70°C you have something wrong and need to fix it.

X2! The fix should not include blocking the radiator which will only have any positive effect if there is some other issue (thermostat or hose routing). If there is some other issue, that issue should be fixed and not band-aided by blocking the radiator which can cause other issues.

The thermostat can stick partly open or open too soon and is the likely culprit. As has been mentioned earlier, it would be a good diagnostic step to pull the thermostat and boil it in a pot of water to see when it starts to open and when it is fully open.
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

So talked to the shop who did my 1.8T engine conversion and the two big differences created at that time were:
1.8T engine was fitted with a 160 degree F thermostat
Vintage Air was installed which has a smaller heater core than factory.

So, he has said some other customers who have this combo have complained of not getting up to full op temp on COLDEST DAYS in Calif. or who live in colder climes. Here's the plan for my van to deal with this:

1) He changes me to a 180 degree F thermostat (I may suggest 190)
2) Installs an inline aux. electric water pump on a toggle switch to improve the flow to the front radiator and heater core.

He said that this has helped the vans in the cold climes. Plus it doesn't hurt cooling in hot climes. I believe he said also the Jetta 1.8T water pump isn't as strong as the original VW 2.1 Waterboxer. Makes sense since one was designed to pump much farther.
• Big Shot Shifter
* TruckFridge
• Propex Heater
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

Put in a factory 1.8T thermostat first and see what happens. 87C. The water pump is just fine for our application too.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever used a truck-style grille cover in winter driving? Reply with quote

160°F seems absurdly cold. I always use 190°F (87°C) on my diesel engines and have never had an overheating situation. Fitting a colder-than-spec thermostat is a downright bad idea. Engines run most efficiently as hot as possible without overheating. A colder-than-spec thermostat will not prevent overheating, it will just delay the overheating event by seconds and that will only occur if there is some other issue that needs to be addressed. The rest of the time the engine will run inefficiently and can cause other issues as well. What engine code is your engine? What is the correct thermostat temperature spec'd for your engine? What reason did your mechanic give for fitting the 160°F thermostat?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: