Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

It's not from a VW site, but here's a link some of you that like to build their own tools may find interesting:

http://www.ourdigitalmags.com/publication/?m=45623&i=567450&p=24
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

I think the reason you're not getting much response is that the copy of the website is too small to read comfortably and I wasn't able to find a way to enlarge it.

While it may be less than $100 to build one of these it is a fair amount of work time assembling the parts and setting it up.

This reply will bump it to the top.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
I think the reason you're not getting much response is that the copy of the website is too small to read comfortably and I wasn't able to find a way to enlarge it.

Mouse around until the top and bottom bars appear. Click on the three dots in the lower right corner. One of the options is "print".

Quote:
While it may be less than $100 to build one of these it is a fair amount of work time assembling the parts and setting it up.

True. But some people have more time than money (especially compared to the price of a real Sun distributor machine), and some people just like to build things. I thought those people might be inspired by it.

Quote:
This reply will bump it to the top.

Thanks. It was a transfer from the Bay forum, so it appeared low down in this forum. Was afraid it would get lost...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

It is also only interesting if you want to bring the distributor back to factory specs basicly.
I have a Sunnen distributor tester, but I think it has been at least 10 if not 15 years since I used it. I found that it is much faster to do it on the engine when you learn what the engine wants, which is often somewhat different from some factory set up.
I have of course done it so often that I have a general idea about what the engine wants, so my basic setting is done even before the engine is started. That saves some time.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

My findings agree with both statements

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
I have of course done it so often that I have a general idea about what the engine wants

Most people don't know.

Anyone can buy a distributor machine, knowing how to use it is where the real value is.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

I like gadgetry and data, so thanks for the link!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

It's a nice idea.

As the guy said, every car is it's own distributor machine.

Too bad King disappeared. I would have liked to of bought one of theirs.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

Somewhere I have a printout from one of the vintage electronics mags (or popular mechanics?) on how to build a similar tester. I'll try to dig it out and find a copy.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

I recently measured the advance curve of my distributor using a lathe to spin the dizzy with a magnet on the spindle shift and a hall effect sensor to give a pulse out for each 360 degree rotation. I also tapped a signal out from the points. I fed both signals into an oscilloscope and was able to measure the time between the pulses to derive the angles of advance.

It seems to me that measuring the actual timing (time between events)is a far more accurate way to approach the concept of a distributor machine and that an inexpensive way to do it without an oscilloscope would be to use an Arduino or similar device to measure the timing. The Arduino could display the RPM and perform the math and display the degrees of advance simultaneously on a little LCD screen.

Just a thought on this subject...
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

I posted this about 7 years ago just to get a rise out of Glenn.

It's "The Poor Man's Sun"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Won't work unless you wear a tie.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

Before I got one, I was thinking of making one with a motor and using a degree wheel, timing light w/ tach and 12v battery.

But then I got a great deal on a Sun 600 and the rest is history.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
I posted this about 7 years ago just to get a rise out of Glenn.

It's "The Poor Man's Sun"

Won't work unless you wear a tie.

That's the one! Do you happen to know which issue it was in?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

Ling-
I can't remember the issue.
I buy lots of old Popular Science, Popular Mechanics and Mechanix Illustrated magazines at swap meets, etc. I really enjoy reading them.

I'll bet that Glenn starts wearing a tie when he's using his Sun Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
I'll bet that Glenn starts wearing a tie when he's using his Sun Wink

Actually I wear an old Tee shirt, old jeans, apron, respirator and face shield. It can get pretty dusty removing the paint on the cast iron bodies and i'm sure there's lead in the paint that was used in the 1950s. I also have the workshop lined with 5mil plastic sheeting and an exhaust fan in the window.

I'm sure if the EPA saw what I was doing in my basement they'd close me down and declare it a Super Fund site.

BTW, i'm retired and the last time I wore a tie was at my son's wedding 4 years ago.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

Check out the salt water rheostat. God, I love old school "can do".
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: "Build a Distributor Tester for Under $100", the man sez... Reply with quote

A mini-lathe, a degree wheel photocopy, sized appropriately, and a good strobe light, and you're good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: