Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia wiring loom for 63 vert restoration, 12 volt
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Ghia wiring loom for 63 vert restoration, 12 volt Reply with quote

Hi all, still new to this and could use some suggestions. I have a 63 Ghia Vert that is a basket case. Sat for 25 years pulled apart and I am restoring it. It had been converted to 12 volt by prior owner and was running as a 12 volt car, but has not ran for decades. The wires were all pulled from their connections, its a total cluster f**k and I can't tell what is still 6 volt vs. 12 volt as far as switches, motors, bulbs, etc. Plus the wires have been spliced, some are cut, they were painted over by the prior owner so its a mess. I am doing a frame off resto and have come to the conclusion it will likely be better for me to buy a new complete wiring loom that is 12 volt vs. spend 1000 hours trying to trace and repair whats in place.

Good or Bad call on my part? I don't care if its original, just want to to run and not have shorts or start fires.

My Ghia is 63 is 6 volt, I don't want a 6 volt loom I want a 12 volt loom. What year Ghia loom would I buy?

Suggestions on a good quality product? Not concerned about price, very concerned about quality and ease of use.

Thanks for any feedback and insight you can provide.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia wiring loom for 63 vert restoration, 12 volt Reply with quote

I would just get a harness for the year model car you have ... the wires don’t care if there’s 6 or 12 volts running through them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia wiring loom for 63 vert restoration, 12 volt Reply with quote

I might just replace with the same 6 volt. Trying to understand if the 12 volt loom will be more plug and play with things like new light and washer switches, 12v bulbs for headlights, turn indicators, etc. Seems it would be easier than using 6 volt but don't know for sure.

Also looking for recommendations on new looms/harnesses from folks that have done it before. I assume there are good and bad brands to buy and have no idea which ones are good ones.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia wiring loom for 63 vert restoration, 12 volt Reply with quote

I bought a wiringworks built harness for my 65Ghia. I run it on 12v. Easy conversion.

Wiper - I bought the 12V armature from WW and installed that.
Clock - it will run on 12V just as well
Starter - I had bought a 12V one to match that larger flywheel I installed as car came with a 1600, but I've read of people using 6V starter with no issues in a 12V system
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia wiring loom for 63 vert restoration, 12 volt Reply with quote

Great, thank you for the info. Where did you buy it and how much was the harness?
dkbryant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia wiring loom for 63 vert restoration, 12 volt Reply with quote

I can highly recommend a Rebel Wire harness. I just finished replacing the wiring in a 69 Coupe. The guys at Rebel are great if you need help with anything. It was tricky for me looking at a wiring diagram with the original wire colors - but the Rebel harness has every wire labeled at 6 inch intervals. Whenever I could not figure something out, I was able to email a photo of what I was working with and I would get an answer/advice on how to proceed. Again, highly recommend Rebel Wire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia wiring loom for 63 vert restoration, 12 volt Reply with quote

A 6 volt harness would have thicker wires than a 12 volt harness. The wires don’t care about the voltage , so better to get the thicker wires of a 6 volt and run your 12 volt devices with that. In electrical terms the harnesses would have the same, runs, lengths and colours.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia wiring loom for 63 vert restoration, 12 volt Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
A 6 volt harness would have thicker wires than a 12 volt harness. The wires don’t care about the voltage , so better to get the thicker wires of a 6 volt and run your 12 volt devices with that. In electrical terms the harnesses would have the same, runs, lengths and colours.
Nicholas

Not only that, but it may be better to go with an original style 6V wiring harness because that would make it easier to revert the Ghia back to the original 6V system should you or whomever you may sell it to in the future decide to do so.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia wiring loom for 63 vert restoration, 12 volt Reply with quote

Careful- 12 V Ghia harnesses would have a few extra wires for the 2-speed windshield wiper motor. If your '63 is using an original 12 V wiper motor that has 2 speeds, do you also have the 2-stage wiper switch?
-A 12 V harness would also have wiring for the emergency flasher module and switch that a '63 would not yet have.
- 12 V system has wiring for the light switch so that the parking lights stay on when the headlights are turned on. IIRC on the 6 V system the light switch turns the parking lights OFF when the headlights are on. 12 V light switch would be a better match than the '63's original switch.
-A 12 V Ghia ('67 and later) would also have a small wiring harness for the reverse lights, though that harness is separate from the main body harness and goes from the engine to the transmission nose cone switch, then back to the engine compartment and splits to the two lights.

So- I recommend selecting a new harness for a '70 Ghia which also had a few more fuses (and thereby a wider fuse panel) than for a '63.

When I converted my '64 Ghia to 12 V in the mid '90's, my original harness was in good shape. I kept it, and used a WolfsburgWest 12 V conversion armature for the 6 V single-speed wiper motor. That made it run reliably with the 12 V system but you only have a single speed. I also plumbed in a 4-way flasher module and switch, but was able to add the wires to the existing harness based on studying a 12 V system schematic.

Before you pull your original harness out, firmly tape a few extra wires onto the end that will end up in the engine compartment. That makes it very easy to add extra gauges in the future. I used 4-wire trailer wire; I think 16 ga. is more than sufficient. If you don't use those wires right away, you can loop them up, tie-wrap them and tuck them behind the left side of the firewall tarboard to hide them.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia wiring loom for 63 vert restoration, 12 volt Reply with quote

Another thought, The front loom changed length when the exit hole in the trunk to the guard (for the lights) changed from the slot to the grommeted hole.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nicholas
Big Mike Cbad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia wiring loom for 63 vert restoration, 12 volt Reply with quote

Thank you all for the feedback. Very helpful. Looking at some other posts looks like Wiring works and Rebel seem to be good choices on the wiring harnesses. Saw info on Watson wiring kit, American autowire. Any other brands that anyone suggests looking at? I'm not worried about price, mostly about quality and ease of use and install. If Wiring works and Rebel are the highest quality that's all I need to know.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia wiring loom for 63 vert restoration, 12 volt Reply with quote

I have Watsons kit in my ghia. Not an easy install but flawless once put together.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: