Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Muffler/J-tube advice please
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Muffler/J-tube advice please Reply with quote

I’ve a 65 Beetle with a 1600 dual relief single port that currently has a stock muffler with forced air heat. Single stock carb.
The muffler and heat boxes are rusting out.....need to be replaced.
I’d like to go back with a high quality stock muffler and j-tubes instead of the heater boxes.
Does anyone that has done this have a recommendation on the best muffler and which j-tubes to use?
I’ll plug the holes in the cooling tins and use industrial tins along with the lower cooling tins.
This car won’t be driven in extremely cold weather.
Thanks in advance.
Norris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler/J-tube advice please Reply with quote

1 3/8" "J" tubes for replacement of heater boxes,
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Heater-Box-Replacement-Pipes-J-pipes-Type-1-p/type-1-j-pipes.htm
Stock muffler, This fits with minimal fighting. I have one from this vendor.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2045180
You pay for quality!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler/J-tube advice please Reply with quote

Perfect! Thanks so much. I’ve looked at a lot of different vendors but couldn’t find what appeared to be quality parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler/J-tube advice please Reply with quote

norris wrote:
Perfect! Thanks so much. I’ve looked at a lot of different vendors but couldn’t find what appeared to be quality parts

I can't vouch for the "J" tubes.

The muffler is great!
Note: If you are running a filter pump setup. The above muffler. Will not work. The heat riser tube on the left will interfere with the oil filter.
I bought the right tube model for my 1600.

How's that CDI box I sold you working out?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler/J-tube advice please Reply with quote

It’s working great! Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: