Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

buseric wrote:

So nice to see a great bus getting some love. Keep up the good work!

x2!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
buseric wrote:

So nice to see a great bus getting some love. Keep up the good work!

x2!

Thank you! Can't wait to get this thing all back together. More to follow..
BIG_TEXAS_PETE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Just browsed from the start of the thread. What an awesome bus!

Amazing job on the rejuvenation. Cool Well done! looks super cool Very Happy The work on the wheel arch looks perfect.

Cool
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

BIG_TEXAS_PETE wrote:
Just browsed from the start of the thread. What an awesome bus!

Amazing job on the rejuvenation. Cool Well done! looks super cool Very Happy The work on the wheel arch looks perfect.

Cool

Thank you Pete!

The guy/shop that did the metal work does really great work. I'm really happy with everything.

I will update with some more progress soon!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Slowly reading this thread and only on early pages! Still noticed the reversal of the cut well. Very nice!
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
Took you long enough. Very Happy

This quarantine had to be good for something, right?

I'm pretty stoked on this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I will give the shop it's due credit once I can fully update this thread. I'm very pleased with the work that has been done.

It actually took me awhile to find some good og German metal to use.. It's getting harder to find as less buses are cut up. Even the stuff I got needed some repair itself.

Brian does great work.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:

Brian does great work.

Yes he does! I'm really happy that I took the Westy to Washburn's Metal in Orange, Ca.

If you need metalwork on your 67' and earlier bus or early Porsche, Washburn's does top notch work.

Here are some pics:

I was hoping to retain the original corner, but after it was stripped of all the bondo, Brian and I decided that a new corner up to the beltline was the best route. The old corner had been stretched badly from being hit and then pounded back out.

TIG welded and planished. Nice to have original German wheel well metal with the correct lip profile:

Clean!! I almost hate to put primer over it but I must.

More later as I try to keep the ball rollin' on this..
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
Slowly reading this thread and only on early pages! Still noticed the reversal of the cut well. Very nice!

Thank you! I'm enjoying your thread too, that is one killer bus you have!!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

^^ that metal work looks top notch you must be stoked!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
^^ that metal work looks top notch you must be stoked!

Completely stoked, it's so much better than what I could have done with it. Now I just have to finish it!!!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

A little more progress on the Westy. Passenger side wheel well in primer after a skim of filler to smooth it out. My hope for this repair is to make it look like it never happened, or at least as close as I can.

Driver's side getting there:

My workplace. Here you can see a sneak peek of the new power plant going in soon. 87hp and 126 ft lbs of torque should get this heavy camper up the hills better.

A few undercarriage shots showing the factory overspray on the frame rails. I posted these in the recent thread on the topic. Lots of silt from years in the desert. The little dark spots are lichen:

Current interior situation:

More to come Cool

Last edited by oakman on Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIG_TEXAS_PETE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Cool Very Happy
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Brandon that bus is looking better each time you post pics. Any more details on the new engine you are putting in? Is that stainless steel exhaust I see poking out?
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Brandon that bus is looking better each time you post pics. Any more details on the new engine you are putting in? Is that stainless steel exhaust I see poking out?

Thanks Michael, here's what I know: 1915cc, stock cam, 69mm stroke, 9.29:1 compression. The heads are hemi-cut, dual Weber 40's, the exhaust is the sidewinder knock off, not stainless. Still 6 volt. It achieved it's full torque on the dyno at 2500 rpm (126 ft lb). I've never built an engine but I've pulled and installed them countless times Very Happy This engine was built by Mohr Performance in Apple Valley, Ca. Joel Mohr is a longtime Vw engine and trans builder, drag racer, desert racer etc. I have a great running 1600 in my Mango that he also built.

As much as I want to keep everything exactly as original, I'll enjoy being able to climb the Cajon Pass with ease. Every vw event in So Cal for me means dealing with the pass. It sucks doing 35 in 3rd with big rigs on your ass!!

Eventually I will rebuild the og engine and have it ready to go if/when I want to go back to stock.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:

Current interior situation:

More to come Cool

What treasure!
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

very nice Brandon

Popcorn Popcorn
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Engine looks great Brandon- I completely get not wanting to be run over by modern traffic.

Thanks for all the detail on that- gotta get some miles on that bus
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:

Thanks Michael, here's what I know: 1915cc, stock cam, 69mm stroke, 9.29:1 compression. The heads are hemi-cut, dual Weber 40's, the exhaust is the sidewinder knock off, not stainless. Still 6 volt. It achieved it's full torque on the dyno at 2500 rpm (126 ft lb). I've never built an engine but I've pulled and installed them countless times Very Happy This engine was built by Mohr Performance in Apple Valley, Ca. Joel Mohr is a longtime Vw engine and trans builder, drag racer, desert racer etc. I have a great running 1600 in my Mango that he also built.

As much as I want to keep everything exactly as original, I'll enjoy being able to climb the Cajon Pass with ease. Every vw event in So Cal for me means dealing with the pass. It sucks doing 35 in 3rd with big rigs on your ass!!

Eventually I will rebuild the og engine and have it ready to go if/when I want to go back to stock.

I got stuck in that pass twice, once for 8 hours and another time for 6 hours. Would have been nice to have been in a camper Smile
Looking forward to seeing more picts on the cabinets as my 61 SO 35 is missing them. I will probably rebuild them out of the pearwood.
Looking great.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:

What treasure!

I will feel so much better once it's all back in the bus again!!

zuggbug wrote:
very nice Brandon

Popcorn Popcorn

Thanks Paul, getting there!

velvetgreen wrote:
Engine looks great Brandon- I completely get not wanting to be run over by modern traffic.

Thanks for all the detail on that- gotta get some miles on that bus

Hoping next year will bring some more shows and campouts to go to..

djway3474 wrote:

I got stuck in that pass twice, once for 8 hours and another time for 6 hours. Would have been nice to have been in a camper Smile
Looking forward to seeing more picts on the cabinets as my 61 SO 35 is missing them. I will probably rebuild them out of the pearwood.
Looking great.

Thank you djway, the pass can be a real nightmare at times.

When you get to the point of building your cabinets, let me know if you need any pics or measurements for reference.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Sweet.
Email sent.
Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 28

Jump to: