Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Here is the finished access panel for the internal fuel pump...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Will be cutting a 4" hole in the tank, and using these stainless threaded rivets. Here is a test rivet...

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Slowly but surely getting this modification done. About to press the trigger on a pump, but am awaiting feedback. Have a feeling I'm gonna go E85 after it's all said and done. Here is the pump inspection cover progress, bought a larger 3/8" return line too...

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Well... If anyone is interested... I know I am... Here is the complete (minus Locktite) inspection cover. Waiting for the 1/2" square, foot long aluminum stock needed for the pump to mount to. Oh, have the pump on order too. Time to pull the tank. 😃

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Coming along nicely. Got an E85 ready pump... May as well go E85, gonna be more or less new fuel system. Why not?

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Here is the finished access panel for the internal fuel pump...

Will be cutting a 4" hole in the tank, and using these stainless threaded rivets. Here is a test rivet...

You used blind rivnuts, correct?

bryan
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Yes, and plan on using 1/8" Buna-N rubber to seal the inspection cover onto the tank. May need to go thicker, but 1/8" thick is my starting point.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

I'm concerned that you won't achieve a good, leak-free seal because of the thin gauge metal.

Bryan
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

I have a plan to strengthen the mounting rivet locations. I will either create a C bracket with thicker material, similar to what after-market intank fuel pump kits come with. Or add an additional stainless steel washer to the rivet mount area, giving it more area to compress the rubber gasket.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Well. Seems as though getting an engine built (during this COVID crap) is taking longer than usual. Probably due to not having parts. Oh well. On to other things I suppose. Carefully installed case savers into my stock engine for #1 and 2 head bolts. New rings installed, time for the cylinders to go back on.

Here is the jig I made to keep my drill perfectly straight. This was just lined up. I then clamped it in place, used paper towels covered in grease behind the hole in the case. And used ample amounts of Gorilla Glue duck tape to keep the shavings from ending up in the case. Why couldn't it have been on the #3 4 side?!?! All those case bolts were in the way. Had to keep modifying the jig as I went.

End result...

Last edited by xzener on Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Done. No sign of a new motor... I guess it's going back in.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Done. My expectations are high... that I'll make it around the block more than twice this time. Laughing Also found the reason for my CB Performance Black Box wasn't working. It was a broken wire at the coil. Didn't see it, it was on the back side cleverly disguised as a good connection. Guess I should have looked closer.

PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Nice work....hope it performs great this go around!
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

I agree, nice work. Please post a video when you can.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Ciderguy, here it is prior to me pulling it out to repair the pulled head bolts...

Link

Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

This is soo so nice man!!!

Are you satisfied with the performance so far?

Would be interessting to go on a dyno with that!? Cool
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks Inchpincher61. What little experience I had with it, I will say the gas pedal felt heavy. If that makes sense... It seemed to want to go faster. But the exhaust leak was too troubling to go very far. Would love to put it on the Dyno, but there are none that I know of around here. I'm 45min south of Fresno, CA.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Finished plumbing the oil breather. Ran AN8 fittings through the engine firewall (front tin). Will be doing the same with my new engine, so a change over will be quick and painless. The engine has been filled with fresh oil. Should be ready to fire this weekend. Still need to lock out my distributor for use of the Black Box. I had issues with it before I found out the engine needed repair, and converted it back to mechanical advance. It ended up being a broken spade terminal at the backside of the coil, didn't see it until I was verifying connections a couple days ago. I thought the Black Box was bad. Had it tested at CB Performance, they said there was nothing wrong with it... They were right. Wink
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

One of the things about this supercharger kit that I didn't like was the inability to install the crank pulley cover tin... Well, I took the time to measure and modify the tin and installed it. Its a tight fit getting both tins in place, but overall a more finished look.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

SHE'S ALIVE!!! And no exhaust leak when revving it. Very Happy

Link

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
SHE'S ALIVE!!! And no exhaust leak when revving it. Very Happy

Link

Sounds good, nice quick response.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 46

Jump to: