Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PASSED CA Smog - Just Not the First Time
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: PASSED CA Smog - Just Not the First Time Reply with quote

The PO passed CA Smog a couple years ago when I bought my '88 Westy. This July it was my turn.

Got on The Samba and searched titles in the Vanagon Forum for "CA Smog". Bought and installed new NGK BP6ET plugs, new distributor cap, rotor, Temp II sensor, air & fuel filters.

Looked up tencentlife's "All-In Timing" essay and set the Van's timing at 40 degrees advanced at 3,000 rpm. Also set the idle at 880.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261067

Figured I was stylin' & ready to go. Drove around on City streets for about a hal an hour, pulled into the Smog Chek station when it opened at 9 am.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

20 minutes later the Van was in the red for Hydrocarbons at 173 ppm, green for 02 at 0.5, speed was 16.1, CO red at .87 and in the red at 1763 ppm for NOx. The rest were in the green. Looking at the NOx I'm thinking Catalytic Converter.

Last October, GoWesty had a California Cat on sale for $312.76. That's over $50 off, I bought one. It's been sitting unopened in my garage waiting for just such an occasion.

Pulled the old Cat:

Well, that's no bueno

Installed the new Cat:

Found a helpful topic for adjusting fuel mixture on The Samba here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=356377

Cherry-picked info from various sources and performed adjustments until I gained a high degree of confidence my Van could pass the freakin' California Smog Test. Went back in at 9 this morning.

Results: in the green for Hydrocarbons at 8 ppm, green for 02 at 0., speed was 16.1, CO green at 0.01 and in the green at 1.0 ppm for NOx. The rest were in the green. The Van passed.

What I learned: Once I had the results of the first test, I had an idea of what needed to be replaced or adjusted. Did some Googling, chased some questions, fell back A LOT on The Samba and ultimately did the required wrenching. I felt tacit support from a group of folks with similar interests.

Thank you all.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: PASSED CA Smog - Just Not the First Time Reply with quote

That Cat Converter had seen better days... Shocked
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: PASSED CA Smog - Just Not the First Time Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
That Cat Converter had seen better days... Shocked

I've seen 'em crumble. This looks like sudden catastrophic failure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: PASSED CA Smog - Just Not the First Time Reply with quote

Thought I'd add to this thread my recent smog failure and then passing.

First test, I did nothing to prepare. It has been running well and figured I'd give it a try. Failed only one thing: High HC at Idle (measured 208 vs. 120 is the max).

Measures to correct:
    My smog guy said "don't use ARCO Gas" (or Valero, same company). He's told me that before, I forgot.
    Bottle of "Guaranteed to Pass" fuel treatment in a full tank from Shell. Drove off about 3/4 of the tank.
    Called Markswagen (gotta love San Diego) and he installed new spark plugs, smoke test for vacuum leak, some AFM and other idle adjustments (not sure of the whole list). Spark plugs were about 9 years old.
    Made appointment for an early morning test, ambient air is cooler and denser.
    Drove it for 45 minutes before the test to heat up the Cat.

Retest: all emissions passed, but it failed again. This time because the coolant burped some from the overflow tank and it dripped on the garage floor. Automatic failure.

2nd retest: I simply didn't top up the coolant, and then it passed.

Other notes:
- my CA Cat is about 8 years old, so I guess it is good. Before that I tried for some years to go on the cheap with the non-CA Cat and it sometimes worked. Bottom line, we have to bite the bullet and always use the CA Cat.
- I actually believe that "Guranteed to Pass" helped get it done.
- Reminder: don't use ARCO gas prior to a smog test.
- Thanked my smog guy and "see you again in 2 years". He replied that there is currently a new proposed bill in CA that will require smog testing every year (probably because the treasury is running empty, has nothing to do with cleaner air).
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: PASSED CA Smog - Just Not the First Time Reply with quote

I would investigate why it burped coolant from the overflow tank. That should only happen if the overflow tank was completely full, which, unless something is wrong shouldn't happen. You might have a fire ring leak (like I probably do.) Are you regularly adding coolant?

I saw the term Wasserleaker in a thread earlier. I think it's accurate.
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: PASSED CA Smog - Just Not the First Time Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I would investigate why it burped coolant from the overflow tank. That should only happen if the overflow tank was completely full, which, unless something is wrong shouldn't happen. You might have a fire ring leak (like I probably do.) Are you regularly adding coolant?

Yes, in this case one recommendation I received was to let it idle when I arrived at the Smog station while waiting for my turn. The purpose was to keep the Cat hot. And I did that, and then it went inside with more idling, and then it burped near the end of the test. So the whole cooling system was all very hot, but the radiator fan works. Who knows ... that happened during the days when the high temperature here was ranging from 105 to 112 degrees. I didn't do that step on the final retest. I think the overflow tank was probably full, since I did other "touch up" maintenance before the testing. But no regular leaks, no burps, I have to add coolant only a couple of times a year.

But, thanks, the point remains, after all these years my cooling system may be in need of some refresh, for example a new or cleaned radiator.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: