Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine instrumentation product query
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like the idea?
No
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

zopapp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: engine instrumentation product query Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am an electronics engineer and would like to build a product that may be of interest to you. I own a T25 with an air cooled T4 engine which I have rebuilt recently. During the tune-up (and also the debug before the rebuild) it would have been very nice if I could have monitored various engine parameters. This gave me an idea of building such a device. Here is what I have in mind briefly.

Various sensors attached (preferably non-intrusively) to the engine (like: tacho, ignition timing, head temperature, AFR, throttle position, oil temperature, oil pressure) sending their signals into a host unit in the engine bay that in turn relays the info wireless to your smartphone. Data is then logged and stored and may be displayed live on the dash.

Application of such a device could span over engine health monitoring, engine performance comparison between vehicles alike, tune-up validation etc..

I’d appreciate if you could give me any feedback on the idea for me to start off on the right track. I am also keen to talk to people who find the idea appealing, so please let me know.

Many Thanks,
Zoltan
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: engine instrumentation product query Reply with quote

I’m picturing an older person that has just woken up after sleeping for 25
Years. CanBus technology is what we have been using for the last 25 years
Notice the word (bus)
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: engine instrumentation product query Reply with quote

interested in what you come up with.
Dude, where's my bus?!
(Zoltan reference)
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: engine instrumentation product query Reply with quote

Head temp at all 4 cylinders displayed simultaneously.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: engine instrumentation product query Reply with quote

I would look what's generally monitored on a piston airplane engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: engine instrumentation product query Reply with quote

There are a couple threads about doing this with an Arduino, I've been running a simple version (CHT on 1 & 3 plus oil temp) for a couple years now.

I'm sure there would be a market for a more robust version... especially if it would talk to my phone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: engine instrumentation product query Reply with quote

I drive a '76 with carbs & points & solid lifters so I can stay far away from that.
But I have to check clearances every 4-5k to know it's still alright.
Cheap. But one hour of labor is involved. Every 4-5k.
No downvote, some people LOVE extra gauges.
zopapp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: engine instrumentation product query Reply with quote

Thanks all the feedback guys. Much appreciated.
Will let u know if someting shapes up from this.

Cheers,
Zoltan
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: engine instrumentation product query Reply with quote

I have a sensor box with an STM32 ARM MCU in it - collects pressures and temperatures and voltages in the engine bay, daisy chained with a PLX Devices AFR sensor box.

These use the PLX Devices data bus format which is based on 3.3 volt level serial data (not CAN bus). When I get to updating it I will use CAN bus instead, because it is designed to work in a car, and the STM32 MCUs have CAN interfaces on them.

So there is a single 2 core cable coming from the engine bay.

My smartphone is running satnav and mp3 playback, there is no screen space for gauges.

On the dashboard I have separate OLED screens on another small STM32 ARM MCU (STM32F103, boards available for a couple of dollars/pounds/euros) . This does have a Bluetooth module connected to it, but I have never bothered writing an app to display the data.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: engine instrumentation product query Reply with quote

This is a thread I started a while back and have updated with an Arduino based setup that actually works. Currently it gives you all four CHT, Oil PSI, Oil Temp, and Battery Voltage. Plans for the future include and are not limited to Tire PSI, RPM gauge, and AFM Ratio monitor (that's all that's coming to my brain at the moment) but for now i'm just trying to get it installed into the vehicle.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683325&highlight=

"Growing older, but not up!"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: