Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

Maybe that’s for trouble shooting if your kid weighs too much Laughing

Anyways I decided to do some laminate work since I got some time. I did both fridge doors and the cabinets door that has the cubby’s and sits over the spare wheel well. So the laminate was fine but they were peeling bad. So I removed them with the iron first, lightly sanded it. The cabinet door got a little crooked, it’s not that bad but not perfectly aligned.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

Dude. You are on the right track for sure. Fixing as much OG laminate it the best route. Keep in mind, what you can't fix is replaceable with aftermarket. Seat covers & carpet. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

Nice progress!!

any luck with getting some dimensions from that rear closet bracket?

thanks!

'78 westy, '64 sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

That propane tank will likely test just fine. Sand blast, prime & paint. These things have a safety design of like ten times max pressure. I would get it pressure tested to be sure. Clean up the valves, pressure regulator & test for leaks. A guy from IL advertises on The Samba has all the repair parts you might need.
‘Slip’
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Dude. You are on the right track for sure. Fixing as much OG laminate it the best route. Keep in mind, what you can't fix is replaceable with aftermarket. Seat covers & carpet. Wink

Thank you! OG anything is always the best Wink I was happy I found that table to sure, it made my sink cabinets look 10x better. Yeah, the front seat covers are a little rough, are they original though?The rear bench seat and rear bed are in great shape other than some sun fading, the top bed cushion is pretty trashed from mice with a big hole in it. Maybe I can work some magic with the carpet. BTW, nice build threads on your busses notchboy, I have read/skimmed through them a while back.

SLVRSRFR wrote:
Nice progress!!

any luck with getting some dimensions from that rear closet bracket?

thanks!

Thank you! Sorry I forgot about that Embarassed here is a picture
it’s 90mm by 70mm. The small two holes are at 10mm from the edge and the diameter of the hole is 5mm and they run parallel to the 70mm side. The big rear bolt is centered at 35mm running parallel to the 70mm side. It is set back 15mm from the side. If you need any better pictures or dimensions let me know!

Slip356 wrote:
That propane tank will likely test just fine. Sand blast, prime & paint. These things have a safety design of like ten times max pressure. I would get it pressure tested to be sure. Clean up the valves, pressure regulator & test for leaks. A guy from IL advertises on The Samba has all the repair parts you might need.
‘Slip’

In a few days I may be getting out my blast pot to do some blasting on some beetle body panels, I may do it then. Thankfully there are few pits in the metal, just lots of surface rust. I will for sure pressure test it, thank you! I will see if I can fix it but the shut off valve has some serious issues Laughing I will have to look at that and possibly get some parts! Thanks!

Edit: Slip, I couldn’t find the ads for the propane tank parts, are they in the bay window parts category?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

Okay great - thank you!

Can you confirm a couple dimensions for me?

'78 westy, '64 sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

The question mark for the parallel holes are both 10mm also the other question mark with the 15 is correct.
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

Beauty - thanks!

'78 westy, '64 sedan
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

So I have a question, a little off topic though. When I was at the junkyard a while back, there was a complete T4 engine (actually from a T4) it still has complete fuel injection system, I know the system is different than a bus though. Are the OG T4 motors as good as bus ones? What would it be worth? How much would need to be changed for a bus, just some engine tin? Here’s some pictures I took of it last week

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

I got a little more progress done on the interior. I replaced the o-ring on the shutoff valve on the propane tank where it was leaking out.

Then I got some laminate repaired, I fixed the table leaf

Then a chip in the table laminate

And the sink top

I took the sink out to get the propane line off. I also took the stove apart to inspect. So the only special VW tool I have is the one to remove the stove burner Laughing Anyways, there are little metal tab you have to remove
And then use the tool to remove the ring

Then you can grease the shaft for the burner knobs

Some more pics

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
So I have a question, a little off topic though. When I was at the junkyard a while back, there was a complete T4 engine (actually from a T4) it still has complete fuel injection system, I know the system is different than a bus though. Are the OG T4 motors as good as bus ones? What would it be worth? How much would need to be changed for a bus, just some engine tin? Here’s some pictures I took of it last week

i saw that too. depending on what the price is, i thought it would be a good opportunity to play with an engine teardown. may even have a good crank, and the case may still be usable (if you dont break it by missing the hidden case bolt!)
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

I might have to beat you to the engine Laughing looks like a later engine (~73 since it has an “E” brain) I think I might have found a good bus for sale but it needs an engine. Looks really complete and original since it still has all the German cloth vac lines. I will probably call this week to see how much it is.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

Update: I got a 72 bus! Dancing the original westy interior in it is very nice so I will be selling this one as I decided to keep the original one to the bus.
NOVA Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

Wow just read your post, so I did exackly what you are doing back in 2002-2004. Searched and located a late Bay P-27 interior, located a donor bus (Dakota Beige none the less!), which was immaculate condition, all the laminate was intact and no real fading on curtains. We negotiated $1100 for complete strip of the bus. Tagged/bagged, measured and digital photoed all the parts prior to removal (this was 2002, so new tool at that time...). It took me about a year to clean, restore, and properly install the parts in our '77 Transporter (was 7-pass, had a '72 Westy interior which I ended up selling $600, reduced cost on the new Westy interior👍). Anyhow, your interior looks great, and very complete. I did remove and machine wash all the seat cushions/covers, for bench/bed. I did have extra fabric from the pop-top bed, so used it for pillows, and custom rear padding for the rear hatch.

My fridge worked after power up, far as I could tell the doner was last on the road early '90s, so the fridge was out of service maybe 20 years, yet it worked and gets cold very efficiently, especially on shore power. Just clean the evap/condenser unit. We did have replace door pulls, and t-moulding...not a big deal. Had to be creative hanging the rear overhead cabinet (roof bracket-anchor); had original carpet, did wood laminate to match cabinets; had to restore the LP gas tank and mount RV supply helps here...

I also reworked some of the electrics, took apart the battery charge timer and isolator..... dremmel buff cleaned ALL terminals and connectors, especially grounds.

If you need Westy interior wiring diagrams, they are readily available on Samba (big help). Take a look at my gallery, lots information from my resto and install of the same interior.

Best of luck! PM me for questions have a binder of records and information.

- Brown Beige plaid P27 Interior (ED)
http:/[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-29638.png]Click to view image
Camper Interior donor:
[/URL]/www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=721 (M-Code for interior).
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

Nice interior Nova bus! Cool story! Do you have any issues with the stove being in their with out a pop top for extra room? Does it leave stains on the headliner?
SGodinho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

Bumping this thread with a quick question. What does the round dial switch and the lever on the sink faucet do? I'm putting a 78 interior in my 72. I have the kitchen cabinet but the lever and the switch are missing. My understanding is the switch is to turn on the electric pump and the lever is for a city water hookup? Thanks

"Love everyone around you because that's all we got"
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Dakota Beige Westfalia Campmobile interior Reply with quote

SGodinho wrote:
Bumping this thread with a quick question. What does the round dial switch and the lever on the sink faucet do? I'm putting a 78 interior in my 72. I have the kitchen cabinet but the lever and the switch are missing. My understanding is the switch is to turn on the electric pump and the lever is for a city water hookup? Thanks

Yes, your assumption is correct!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: