Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

Exclamation This has me baffled. While doing work on the fuse panel today I was not
able to lift the rear bench seat squab to disconnect the battery. I took a chance
and managed to get my job done without any aching, but what will I do if I should need a boost, or need to change batteries ?
Everywhere I look says it should simply lift up. On other cars I’ve owned a slight push inward at the base of this squab would release the seat bottom
( none were VW Beetles ). I can’t see why VW would make such an essential access point difficult to remove. Am I missing something ? ANY help will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks ,
Darren.

Seize the day...not the Engine...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I CAN’T REMOVE MY REAR SEAT CUSHION...IT WILL BE A PROBLEM Reply with quote

Firstly, what's a "squab"? And secondly, just pull up harder, whilst pushing back. Make sure you aren't caught on any seat belt mechanisms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I CAN’T REMOVE MY REAR SEAT CUSHION...IT WILL BE A PROBLEM Reply with quote

Matt Wilson wrote:
Firstly, what's a "squab"?

Definition of squab
1a: COUCH
b: a cushion for a chair or couch
2or plural squab : a fledgling bird
specifically : a fledgling pigeon about four weeks old
3: a short fat person

Perhaps he has a young pigeon in his car--------or maybe a short fat person?
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I CAN’T REMOVE MY REAR SEAT CUSHION...IT WILL BE A PROBLEM Reply with quote

Smile A squab is the cushion you sit on. The opposite of a seat back which, you guessed it, supports your back.
In any event I pushed with every ounce of strength in me. I even tried to push back with a stout, wide flat screwdriver...never budged. I’ll take a photo of it tomorrow...the entire interior was upgraded by the previous owner, so something may be amiss ?

While trying to push back on the bottom of the seat cushion it didn’t budge. I’ll
try a few other ideas tomorrow...it must simply be jammed somehow because I’m sure it shouldn’t de too difficult. I will update this tomorrow...hopefully with some explanation of why it was so damned contrary!

Thanks Matt;

Darren.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I CAN’T REMOVE MY REAR SEAT CUSHION...IT WILL BE A PROBLEM Reply with quote

Try using a putty knife slipped in between the seat & the rail. Then a small screw driver forcing seat to the rear and pop it over the rail. Try that.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I CAN’T REMOVE MY REAR SEAT CUSHION...IT WILL BE A PROBLEM Reply with quote

Try pulling the release on the seat back, lifting the top of it forward a little. This should take some pressure off the “Squab”. Then push in and up on the seat bottom. Hopefully, the PO didn’t glue the ting down, or something.

I have a hard time reinstalling my seat bottom, but removing it is very easy.

The battery should be checked for corrosion, as well as water level at least twice a year. Also, you can test it with a Vom to see how well it’s doing.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: I CAN’T REMOVE MY REAR SEAT CUSHION...IT WILL BE A PROBLEM Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Try using a putty knife slipped in between the seat & the rail. Then a small screw driver forcing seat to the rear and pop it over the rail. Try that.

Smile I think you’ve got me pointed in the right direction gt1953 ! Thanks for your help !!

Darren

Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: I CAN’T REMOVE MY REAR SEAT CUSHION...IT WILL BE A PROBLEM Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Try pulling the release on the seat back, lifting the top of it forward a little. This should take some pressure off the “Squab”. Then push in and up on the seat bottom. Hopefully, the PO didn’t glue the ting down, or something.

I have a hard time reinstalling my seat bottom, but removing it is very easy.

The battery should be checked for corrosion, as well as water level at least twice a year. Also, you can test it with a Vom to see how well it’s doing.

Tim

Thank you once again Tim. You are a great help to this air-cooled newbie ! I sure hope the PO hasn’t glued it down...the quality of the job looks like it may have been done by an upholsterer. But pobodys nerfect ! I AM anxious to see the condition of the battery and all of that area...I was wondering if anyone places an acid-neutralizing pad under the battery. I’m going to look for one...I
used to see them advertised years ago-I hope they are still available. Maybe the decades old ( now ) sealed batteries have rendered this unnecessary ?
Still, I’m thinking that a plastic tray at minimum should be under it. I DO plan to clean up my battery and terminals while I’m in there. Two VOM , so no problems there. But if required I’ll installed new terminals, clean the battery terminals and check for corrosion while I’m in there. I bought a rechargeable
750 cold cranking amps “power pack” especially for the bug...not the greatest alternator capacity in the world Boo hoo!
I think I’ll take the time to install a battery shut-off in the circuit, with the switch on the lowest ( bottom ) panel...very handy if a fire breaks out or I should have a roll-over. I still haven’t found a proper fire extinguisher-although
I have the proper extinguisher. I’ll be trying a commercial fire safety equipment
shop when I get a chance. Finally, I’ll get to check the entire seat “cushion”
area for corrosion, etc, and rectify any problems that may exist or are
( hopefully ) just starting. Knowing this work is done will make me happy. Dancing

Thanks Tim, I’ll place a post with pics when I’m done.

Darren.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

I cut a battery box down to height to prevent acid corrosion of the pan. Be sure to think about and create a bracket to your box so that you can still fasten down the box & battery- so it doesn't go bouncing around.

Here's mine:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Consider covering the battery terminals with some rubber and/or plastic lid from a storage container. Plus I covered the seat springs with rubberized kitchen drawer liner material too.

I second the possibility of installing a battery cut off switch for ease of use/easy reach. I did it like TX73 did:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115267&highlight=battery#8115267

Pics of mine:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC

Fire extinguisher I bought:
https://elementfire.com/

Got the E50 and a magnetic mount, have it stuck underneath the front dash for easy reach in case of emergency.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

I have a keyed battery cut-off switch. It’s great when working on wiring, especially since reinstalling my seat is such a bitch. It’s also nice to have something that makes the car a little harder to steal, even though I have full coverage insurance.

When I had my rear quarter panel replaced last year, which included the battery area, of course, I just primed, then painted it. After a year, I just inspected the area while installing a new battery, and it looked fine.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

Exclamation Those are great photos and ideas AlmostHeavenWV_VW and Tim ! The pics and extra information will definitely make things easier. I didn’t get to it today as other things came up ( I’m finding certain services [ especially government ] are quite a bit slower with the Covid19 virus causing lots of delays...I waited two full hours to get in to our local DBV today to renew the
registration for my daily driver today ). But I’m ok with things. I’ve got lost of “smallish” jobs to do to my bug too...such as removing both door panels and lubricating and adjusting the lock button, outside door handles etc. I’ve gathered stuff such as new poly sheeting and “stay soft “ adhesive for the vapour barriers, but I forgot to get a couple of cans of “ rust-not “ type of inner
door metal rust preventing spray. But I’ll get there.
I am going to use the bracket method to hold my battery cut-off switch.
I’m going with the non-locking type simply because of the slim chance of a roll over...I might not be able to reach a key to unlock ( disconnect ) the battery,
but I should be able to reach back and throw the switch even if I’m upside down. I think. Hopefully that won’t ever be tested, but it will make even changing the battery a bit easier too. Worth it to me. These things are fun projects on what I call “hobby” cars. I had not thought about making connectors ( that can be insulated with plastic covers of some sort ) for a trickle charger, but once I read it I knew it would be something I’ll be adding too. Great, practical idea !
My single finger typing caused me to mess up my message about my fire extinguisher...what I had intended to say was that I have the proper extinguisher, but I don’t have a suitable mount for it...solid enough to keep it in place, but designed to be quickly released. This is where our local fire and other safety equipment store will likely be able to help me. If not I’ll McGuyver
something that will work. In the mean time I have the extinguisher sitting on the rear floor. Fine for the time being. Doubtful if I’ll ever have more than two in the car, but I want a proper bracket irregardless.
BTW- AlmostHeavenWV_VW , I will be making an acid-proof container similar to what you built...got to protect those floor panels imo. I will make sure that my container doesn’t keep me from fastening the battery in place...don’t need THAT sliding around under there ❗️And of course I won’t leave any way for acid to get to the floor should it ( the battery )
crack, or whatever.
So thanks again guys. Although it may be a few days before I get to it, I
will post pictures of my work. Enjoy the long weekend to all who have a 3 day weekend ! Safe and happy motoring;

Darren

Here a few things that can be done at anytime now. Beetle is finally Registered
Inspected, and Insured. Now I can drive it enough to start tuning a slight
hesitation out of the motor when cold. Clears up after ~ 10 minutes.
Parts are , Bosch points, right side door mirror ( need ! ), vintage era chrome Flashlight and holder, door panel clips( 50 ), fire extinguisher, cable ends-for bonnet safety release, rosewood door locks ( STYLIN ! ), oil drain gaskets, valve clearance sticker for fan housing, etc. Oh, and Kenwood faceplate,
( haven’t even tried the stereo yet ). Good to have little things to do to improve the ride imo.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

Not sure if I'm talking about the same thing, but on my 1303 super, there's a hook-tab which fits into a slot to hold the bottom seat back, probably a safety regulation thing.

If that's what we're talking about... Embarassed
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

@Freebug...I’ve been wondering about this ever since looking at the photo of the upside down rear seat “cushion”. There looks like there is a pull-strap at the Center of the cushion, on the bottom...could this be the thing I’m up against ?
I am also 1303 owner btw. I’ve removed plenty of rear seat cushions in my day, all without any problem ( none on a beetle ).This is at least part of why I find it so confounding...thanks for what may be a HUGE tip-off Freebug Smile !

Darren.

Last edited by Fair-cooled on Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

All German but the top left pic may help to get an idea:

Try to lift the front of the bench a little, then pull it forward to free that latch.
Be careful not to damage the back rest upholstery.
P-Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I have a keyed battery cut-off switch. It’s great when working on wiring, especially since reinstalling my seat is such a bitch. It’s also nice to have something that makes the car a little harder to steal, even though I have full coverage insurance.

When I had my rear quarter panel replaced last year, which included the battery area, of course, I just primed, then painted it. After a year, I just inspected the area while installing a new battery, and it looked fine.

Tim

Tim, you have been immense help without ever making contact with me simply based on your posts. Thanks!

Now...on to this keyed cutoff switch. I have searched and I might not have done it right but I can't find info so do you have pics or a write up? Better yet, a link to your original write up?

I have been toying with ideas like this for added security & I'm certain I can fashion something but it's always nice to see what others have come up with!
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
All German but the top left pic may help to get an idea:

Try to lift the front of the bench a little, then pull it forward to free that latch.
Be careful not to damage the back rest upholstery.

Thanks Maddel ! This is great, I’m sure this photo added to the other information is going to finally allow me to finally access my battery and surrounding area. I’ll be trying this out tomorrow ( can’t today...other commitments ) and reporting back, with photos. Much appreciated Smile .
Enjoy the day ( elbow bumps ) !

From the top picture it looks like the part that the arrow points to may insert into the “female” counterpart at the bottom left. Can anyone confirm this for me please ?
Thanks all;

Darren.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

https://superbeetlesolutions.com/coupe-disconnect-switch-keyed

Check this out, Darren, especially the instructions.

Edit: the instructions won’t open. Oh, well, the kit comes with instructions.

This keyed cut-off switch is a bit more than I paid for it five years ago, but it’s a nice addition. The key stays in the slot, except when you put it in the off position, then the key can come out.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
Not sure if I'm talking about the same thing, but on my 1303 super, there's a hook-tab which fits into a slot to hold the bottom seat back, probably a safety regulation thing.

If that's what we're talking about... Embarassed

Hi and thanks for your post ! My Super beetle is 1303 as well, so thank you again. Great to know this !

Darren.

Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

Fair-cooled wrote:
Thanks Maddel ! This is great, I’m sure this photo added to the other information is going to finally allow me to finally access my battery and surrounding area. I’ll be trying this out tomorrow ( can’t today...other commitments ) and reporting back, with photos...

Two more things crossed my mind...

It may help to remove the kick panels and inspect the area below the bench (at least at the drivers side).
With the kick panels removed you can also access the bar/rail which holds the leading edge of the bench.
Try to carefully pull that bar forward and the bench up at the same time. A helper comes in handy here.

Not sure if your seats have the original covers/upholstery.
Custom upholstery is often thicker than the original. Thus the rear seat bench's fit may be much tighter.
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: I Can’t Remove My Rear Seat Cushion...it Will Be a Problem Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
https://superbeetlesolutions.com/coupe-disconnect-switch-keyed

Check this out, Darren, especially the instructions.

Edit: the instructions won’t open. Oh, well, the kit comes with instructions.

This keyed cut-off switch is a bit more than I paid for it five years ago, but it’s a nice addition. The key stays in the slot, except when you put it in the off position, then the key can come out.

Tim

Thank you Tim. The key issue is stating to change my thoughts, especially since I doubt the rear seat will ever be used, thereby eliminating almost all risk of the key being accidentally broken by an errant foot, or someone climbing into the back sheet. And the key is also easily in reach of an overturned driver.
So I will give this switch/lock deal more thought before choosing one over the other. But I WILL continue to attempt to remove the seat to reveal its secrets.
Hopefully tomorrow will bring an answer to why I couldn’t access the battery. Also note : I will be placing coverable terminals on this bottom panel as well...for tricke chargers/battery tenders...a brilliant thought imho.

Thanks very much Tim...as promised, photos will be included in my post.

Have a great day,

Darren.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: