Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ????
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenboat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

My from door panel clips keep falling off !!! After 3 years i am getting tired of constantly pushing back on....I purchased these clips from Wolfsburg West....Does anyone make a longer, better clip?
here is a picture
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1571918.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The repros are very very slightly different from the originals. The ogs don't tend to come out like that. However, unless you have a good pile of originals, you buy the repro clips.
The type 3 clips are around NOS sometimes, but they are not good on a split bus.

One tip I heard was to pull the two opposite arms apart slightly.
That helped on my 66 kombi. Very Happy
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

I bought some of the WW repro clips and they did not stay on well. I tried to spread the 2 arms on each side but that did not help. They were also more prone to bending if they are not inserted perfectly straight.
I did call WW to let them know and they told me that I was the first person to complain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
I bought some of the WW repro clips and they did not stay on well. I tried to spread the 2 arms on each side but that did not help. They were also more prone to bending if they are not inserted perfectly straight.
I did call WW to let them know and they told me that I was the first person to complain.

I doubt you were the first Laughing The repops are known to not secure the same as OG. Even through into Bays with plastic ones. OG s the best.

Track yourself down a couple og ones. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

I used them and had almost no trouble at all. There were inevitably a few that were messed up, but needle nose pliers fixed them. I did have to persuade a few with a rubber mallet to get them seated, but it wasn't very many and they didn't need much persuasion.
Cuņado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

I also was having problems too. But my problem was with me not clips.
On my 65' ezcamper had a bunch of holes drilled into doors and so what I did was drill holes out as I went then shortly after I starting having problems with clips popping out. What I learned was when I drilled as I went the back side of door cards left some material which caused clip not to fully seat. After taking cards off and cleaning back side of all holes drilled, clips worked fine as far as I know. traded camper shortly after this fix.

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

The shoulder area on the repro is a tad shorter than og.
Like Earl said, if you drill holes in your door panel and there is fluff on the backside, that can make it it too thick for the clip to hold into the door.

But if the material of the door panel is too thick, especially an upholstered door panel with the thickness of the vinyl on the front and on the back, then it can be hard to hold.
I thin the back of the snap hole panels I make, FWIW.

So, first spread the opposite clip arms.
IIRC, the TMI panels were not pre-drilled, so look at the back of the panel for fluff from drilling, and clean any off with a razor blade.
If after that it does not hold, you may want to trim the vinyl on the back of the panel as well, around the clip hole.

FWIW, the repro vinyl is thicker than the og. Then you add two layers of that and use a clip with a hair shorter shoulder, and some fine tuning may be needed. Hey, maybe there is an added screw hole that has bumps pushing the panel away from the door slightly, and add that in the mix.
x2 on rubber mallet being useful.
Here is the OP's picture

greenboat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

Super thank you all for your kind replay
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

If you don't mind black plastic, O'Reilly auto parts sell them. They have lots of flutes that are wider than the hole so they hold (used them on my '67 panel and never had them come loose). Takes 2 bags to do both doors.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

buy the "eom" ones from CIP1 there awesome, and they actually work!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

Most of the time its because the new panels are thicker than the originals.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones Reply with quote

Does any one know if the Wolfsburg West clips are still the same not-holding-well ones.

[email protected] wrote:

Link? Are they stainless or dull?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Does any one know if the Wolfsburg West clips are still the same not-holding-well ones.

[email protected] wrote:

Link? Are they stainless or dull?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D867%2D615%2DA30

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones Reply with quote

The aftermarket panel clips falling out in thicker panels is most likely. I found some NOS ones in my stash compared to the aftermarket Wolfsburg West version. OG on the left.

The silver WW ones may work in, say, Clara's hardboard panels (especially as she thins the panels in crucial areas). You can see how they wouldn't go deep enough to spread their wings in thick padded, or folded over edged materials. I can't speak for the OEM http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D867%2D615%2DA30 ones but they look the same as the NOS size if you click on the "larger" or hover over the picture. What you get delivered may be different. Anyone have any they got from cip1 recently?
Benfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

I just received the TMI panels from WW (deluxe) with their clips and there is NO WAY they are going in.

Just ordered the CIP clips...we'll see if they are different. Both CIP and WW say German and use the same P/N, but the photo on CIP does look like they're longer.

Super frustrating. Marathon session till 1am on a work night (mostly installing deluxe panel trim) and go to do the "EASY" part and nothing.

I'll report back.

Thanks,
Ben

-----
1967 21-Window Restoration
1966 Kombi/Benfalia Conversion Boardin' Bus
1958 Double-Door Panel Restoration
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

Benfalia wrote:
I just received the TMI panels from WW (deluxe) with their clips and there is NO WAY they are going in.

Just ordered the CIP clips...we'll see if they are different. Both CIP and WW say German and use the same P/N, but the photo on CIP does look like they're longer.

Super frustrating. Marathon session till 1am on a work night (mostly installing deluxe panel trim) and go to do the "EASY" part and nothing.

I'll report back.

Thanks,
Ben

I am currently facing the same problem. Please let us know.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

Well this picture pretty well shows the whole problem.
Thanks for posting that!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Benfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

I received a bag of clips from CIP. They have a slightly different bend geometry, but are basically the same length. The working dimension actually looks to be even less than WW.

Neither will work with TMI Deluxe Panels with the piping at the top. I tried pushing them in by hand, with a mandrel, etc. They either don't catch at all, or just barely catch and release VERY easily. If you are using the little rubber bushings that CIP sells, it would make it even more impossible.

However, I did notice that the spring clips, of course, are not connected at the top of the button. If I can't get it to clip in, I've been bending with a needle-nose. The one I've shown below is pretty extreme. With this mod, you can audibly here them actually click in.

The downside is that they will be much more difficult to pull out if you have to remove the panel. But I'll cross that bridge when I need to remove it (hopefully not anytime soon).

It also helps to clearance out the vinyl on the backside, but really just to make sure the vinyl doesn't cover the clip and prevent it from flexing/catching. It doesn't really get you anything in terms of reduced panel thickness or compression to use the clip without modification.

I wish there was a clip just a bit longer, it wouldn't take much.

Maybe others have had better luck than I had, but this will get me all paneled up for now. Hope it helps some!

Ben

-----
1967 21-Window Restoration
1966 Kombi/Benfalia Conversion Boardin' Bus
1958 Double-Door Panel Restoration
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

i think this is part of your problem:

Neither will work with TMI Deluxe Panels with the piping at the top.

i think the front door panels are not supposed to have piping at the top. I understand that people like it, but it does make the job more difficult

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Panel Clips keep falling off !!! any better ones ???? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
i think the front door panels are not supposed to have piping at the top.

Correct, no piping on front door panels
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: