Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Super Beetle, clutch tension?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: 73 Super Beetle, clutch tension? Reply with quote

New cable in. I’ve never driven it so I have no idea how much pressure is needed to push the pedal to the floor. It’s adjusted for about 1.5 inches of free play but it feels that I’m pushing on it pretty hard.
Much harder than my old truck or tractor.
I did not replace the clutch or bearing.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, clutch tension? Reply with quote

Did you grease the cable? You should have Smile

1.5" is a bit excessive for freeplay, try like 3/4" or so instead.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, clutch tension? Reply with quote

There shouldn't be much tension on a stock clutch. If you have to push hard, either your cable is binding up or something with the clutch isn't right.

As already said, about 3/4" freeplay sounds correct.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, clutch tension? Reply with quote

Check the clutch bowden tube. The cable has a tendency to wear a notch into the end of the tube, resulting in a heavy pedal and accelerated wear on the cable.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, clutch tension? Reply with quote

If you have a stock pressure plate it's pretty easy to push the clutch pedal down to the floor.

If you have some aftermarket "heavy duty" pressure plate then of course the effort will be higher.
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, clutch tension? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply’s. I did forget to put grease on the cable but that is not causing this.
While it’s still up on a stand and the wheels are off, I need to get the engine running good then use the clutch and go through the gears to see how she shifts.
It was difficult to get the engine lined up to slide into the studs, could the engine go in the transmission shaft wrong somehow?
It slid right on once things were positioned right.
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, clutch tension? Reply with quote

I was using my hand to push down on the clutch because I don’t have the seat in. Using my leg it’s really not bad. Sorry for any confusion!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, clutch tension? Reply with quote

glennj3cub wrote:
It was difficult to get the engine lined up to slide into the studs, could the engine go in the transmission shaft wrong somehow?
It slid right on once things were positioned right.

Did you use a clutch disc alignment tool when you bolted on the pressure plate??
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, clutch tension? Reply with quote

I did not remove the clutch. It looked good.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, clutch tension? Reply with quote

glennj3cub wrote:
I did not remove the clutch. It looked good.

How could you tell if you didn't remove it???? I must learn such technique !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
glennj3cub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, clutch tension? Reply with quote

I understand! I did not have a problem with the clutch that I know of. The spring prongs looked good and the release bearing looked good, so I did not replace the clutch.
SurfDestin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle, clutch tension? Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
There shouldn't be much tension on a stock clutch. If you have to push hard, either your cable is binding up or something with the clutch isn't right.

As already said, about 3/4" freeplay sounds correct.

I'm having similar issues, very hard clutch pedal. Replaced clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing. I've adjusted the clutch cable, still very hard to press. It shfts fine, runs great. But a 2 mile ride through traffic will wear ball of your foot out it's so hard.

Replace bowden tube, clutch cable next step perhaps?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: