Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kickback causes
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Kickback causes Reply with quote

Are you sure it is "kick back"?

I ask because it could also be:
fuel filling a cylinder after shut down;
In correct starter/flywheel depth;

Do you physically hear it bucking back when you crank?

I had a motor like that once. It was tearing up starters fast, chipping flywheel teeth just like yours.
We found that the initial timing was too much.

However, you sound like you set it properly.

The theory that it doesn't' know where it is for a few revolutions sounds plausible.
Consider re-indexing the encoder wheel??
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kickback causes Reply with quote

Lastly, have you tried cranking w/o ignition on?

Just to see if the starter works?
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Kickback causes Reply with quote

and your suuuuuuuuuuuuure the starter is disengaging once its started? Depending on how you wired it, it could keep the starter on even after you let off the crank position.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickback causes Reply with quote

What if your starter is so super powerful cranking, the battery voltage is dropping and causing the EFI / ignition to 'brown out' and restart, and 'open' the points as it resets causing a random fire at first.
Try a larger battery, put an oscilloscope on the power rail to the EFI, check it stays good.

Or fit a smaller starter that takes a bit longer to get up to cranking speed- its going to be the current drawn as the solenoid cuts in and the starter motor is stationary is the worst case.

Some ECUs dont fire the plugs until the engine has definitely completed a rotation or two of cranking.

And are you totally sure the starter does not start spinning until the gears are properly engaged , because the sequence could be..

Starter gear moves in on solenoid.
Solenoid closes contactor to starter just before the gear is engaged.
Starter is stationary so draws maximum current.
ECU browns out, fires coil, causing a random engine movement under internal combustion power, meets starter motor pinion which continues travelling in .

If this is the case you may have to fit a diode and capacitor arrangement to the 12 volt feed to the ECU to stop it browning out.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickback causes Reply with quote

No leaky injector so that's hydro lock ruled out.

Thanks for all other suggestions.

Battery voltage stays good while cranking. I can't do any more testing until I replace the flywheel.

If I drop cranking timing down further it may help safeguard against losing another starter before it even starts?
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickback causes Reply with quote

Yes. Back it way down and start there..
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickback causes Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Yes. Back it way down and start there..

Thanks Tom
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickback causes Reply with quote

I agree. FWIW when I program ignitions on ACVW´s I always set cranking timing to no more than 8 degrees, mostly 7. (400-450 rpm) then 250ish rpm higher I set the catch line. This way there is usually no kick back unless the system gets EMI from the ignition wires or something like that. A trigger wire too close to a high voltage wire can cause noise which can cause kick back too.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickback causes Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
I agree. FWIW when I program ignitions on ACVW´s I always set cranking timing to no more than 8 degrees, mostly 7. (400-450 rpm) then 250ish rpm higher I set the catch line. This way there is usually no kick back unless the system gets EMI from the ignition wires or something like that. A trigger wire too close to a high voltage wire can cause noise which can cause kick back too.

Thanks Alstrup, you know you may have hit the nail on the head there, the kick back hasn't been consistent since I built the motor so perhaps I'm moving wires too close to each other during routine maintenance.

The trigger wire is the correct shielded cable and runs separately to the other loom, but could be too close to 1+2 ignition cables depending on where I leave it after maintenance.

The kickback I'm getting now is hardly noticeable, unlike the previous time when my ignition was way too advanced on cranking and the kickback was scarey.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickback causes Reply with quote

get one of those fancy bore scopes( cheep these days I bought one at wally world for about $20 a few years back...a lizard cam or something like that. have a look in the chambers at the pistons. be sure one isant contacting a head. and rocke the cranks some to be sure a bearing isant going south... and do what somebody else said... spin with no fire. also be sure the degrees are right..many pullys are rong.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickback causes Reply with quote

Pulled it today, damn broken teeth near ground the gearbox bellhousing in half Surprised

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kickback causes Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
get one of those fancy bore scopes( cheep these days I bought one at wally world for about $20 a few years back...a lizard cam or something like that. have a look in the chambers at the pistons. be sure one isant contacting a head. and rocke the cranks some to be sure a bearing isant going south... and do what somebody else said... spin with no fire. also be sure the degrees are right..many pullys are rong.

I'm gonna tear it right down to be sure to be sure
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Kickback causes Reply with quote

I have new flywheel fitted and back up and running. No issues so far, I dropped timing to 5 degrees and rerouted the trigger wheel sensor lead. Thanks for the suggestions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: