Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

purpose of "copper winding" at fuel gauge vibrator?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: purpose of "copper winding" at fuel gauge vibrator? Reply with quote

This "copper winding" attachment (in rubber sheath) on the fuel gauge vibrator, is on my '69 Bug. Any one have a clue as to it's purpose?
I've haven't seen this sort of attachment before ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: purpose of "copper winding" at fuel gauge vibrator? Reply with quote

It is for radio interference. The OEM vibrator turns on and off thus some will radiate RF interference. Inside of the rubber insulation there is a wire that wound making a coil/choke. AM radio really picks the RF noise quite well on some frequencies.

My 72 Super had one...

Jim
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: purpose of "copper winding" at fuel gauge vibrator? Reply with quote

A bit of trivia... The factory had to calibrate each vibrator for a voltage duty cycle. The switching on and off the provide an average of about 5 vdc for the gauge and sender to work properly.

Later the Vibrator was discontinued and the factory designed a REGULATOR using a Zener diode and a load resistor. Aftermarket replacements are not vibrators they are regulators.

Jim
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: purpose of "copper winding" at fuel gauge vibrator? Reply with quote

OK! Got it!
Thank you both for educating me, and for the trivia!
TheSamba rocks!
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: purpose of "copper winding" at fuel gauge vibrator? Reply with quote

Thanks Blue69Baja
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: purpose of "copper winding" at fuel gauge vibrator? Reply with quote

This is what the inside of that vibrator looks like, in case you really wanted to know:

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: purpose of "copper winding" at fuel gauge vibrator? Reply with quote

VW introduced the Zener diode style fuel gauge regulator I think in the early 70s, but it was another radio noise reduction thing, the electromechanical vibrator could introduce a lot of noise in to the electrical system which got picked up by the radio. However the Zener wasn't really seen much at that time, the vibrator was the stock application.

Anyway, the noise reduction choke on the vibrator lead, you can see those in numerous radio installation sheets, an excerpt of one:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: purpose of "copper winding" at fuel gauge vibrator? Reply with quote

All such great input and info...
thanks again all!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: