Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Did you eat at the Dinky Diner in Goldfield? They make a great burger. And anything for breakfast was always good.
I spent almost a year in Tonopah working on the road to Silver Peak. Met a lot of interesting folks and spent a lot of time at the brewery. Their brisket is to die for!!
There is a guy that owns an old gas station in town who has a dismantled 60’s VW convertible in the back room. Completely rust free. He also has a pretty awesome collection of cars from his museum he had in Vegas.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
Did you eat at the Dinky Diner in Goldfield?

We did indeed! We had breakfast there. For both of us, with tip, it was less than $20 and excellent. Plus, all the locals were friendly. They let us know about garage sale up the road. As the town has such a small population, we saw a couple of the same people later in the day and they were pleased to see us again.

cru62 wrote:
Met a lot of interesting folks and spent a lot of time at the brewery. Their brisket is to die for!!

They were out of the Brisket Butts by the time we got there, but the pulled pork was amazing! So tender.

cru62 wrote:
There is a guy that owns an old gas station in town who has a dismantled 60’s VW convertible in the back room. Completely rust free. He also has a pretty awesome collection of cars from his museum he had in Vegas.

Must have been this place (pictures below). Too bad we missed the convertible.
Naturally we have a lot more photos from our trip, but the majority of the ones I've posted are mostly VW-related.

Truly was a fun trip; if anyone reading this enjoys this kind of travel-exploration, just as you, cru62, exemplified, it's a fun, interesting and great area to see!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Side note; that "International Car Forest of the Last Church" in Goldfield, NV; I was pleased to notice that none of the dead cars in the ground were VWs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Awesome get-away trip you guys! When you coming back to St. Charles, MO? Your room will be ready!

I just got to thinking after seeing all the news and videos of fire related air quality out there that with all that smoke/cinder/ash in the air out west, do you folks worry about more frequent oil changes for your air filter or any other preventative measures when out on driving adventures? Luckily, that is quick and easy to do, just haven't heard anyone else think out loud about it. Hopefully it's not an issue...

Keep up having "too much fun"!

Bill & Kathryn Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Goldfield has the highest per capita population of Veterans in the US. If you really want to experience it, go back for “Goldfield Days” in August. It is a blast! There is a hot spring on the road to Silver Peak. The owner allows camping if you clean up after your self. You won’t believe the sky at night.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Awesome get-away trip you guys! When you coming back to St. Charles, MO? Your room will be ready!

Bill, thanks! We'd love to make it to your fine town again. When/as things *normalize* we'd love to make it to "Buses Nowhere Near the Arch" (correct title?).

BulliBill wrote:
... do you folks worry about more frequent oil changes for your air filter or any other preventative measures...

I was thinking about exactly this as we were on our trip. Oil, and filter's oil had recently been changed, but I think you're right. Now that we're back, it might be time to change again. We hope to see you and Kathryn again soon. Remember; you're always welcome here at our place in California.

cru62 wrote:
...There is a hot spring on the road to Silver Peak. The owner allows camping if you clean up after your self. You won’t believe the sky at night.

We almost went to the hot springs... we had hoped for star gazing, but there was enough smoke high in the atmosphere that visibility wasn't as great as we had hoped.

AS350driver wrote:
Goldfield, NV is featured in the original 1971 "Vanishing Point" (great film, btw). It doesn't look very different than in 1971.

AS350driver; I don't think I've seen "Vanishing Point". I've added it to our list.
---------------------------------------------

Although Kathy and I have been working from home, we mostly need to be close-by here in the Bay Area of California. If we could work anywhere, anytime, we'd gladly hop into "The Toaster" and make our way East again for another cross-country. Covid naturally would make it a bit less interesting (inability to go to many sites/museums, etc.) as well as risky, but the desire to be traveling is there...

Need to plan some weekend trip or something for October.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Bryce,

Do keep the trips and the debriefs coming. Your positivity is infectious during this time of constant negativity from, seemingly, every corner. It inspires others to also shrug off the negativity, to not allow it to soak in and change their behavior towards others. You’ve got a knack for retelling your expeditions.
Ever consider having a videographer accompany you guys? I could see you guys having a YouTube channel with millions of followers or a Travel channel series.

Kombi life for the over 30 crowd.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

always love to read this thread and see the pics. thanks!

as for Ripon... I thought it was dutch? I grew up with a guy who's family is pretty well known in Ripon and have been there a very long time, a lot of the streets in Ripon are named after their kids, grand kids, and now great grand kids. They were DeJong's very much dutch
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
AS350driver wrote:
Goldfield, NV is featured in the original 1971 "Vanishing Point" (great film, btw). It doesn't look very different than in 1971.

AS350driver; I don't think I've seen "Vanishing Point". I've added it to our list.

I loved the mini-bike guy and what he did with the mini-bike.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
...as for Ripon... I thought it was dutch?

You're very likely correct.
Since my Grandparents would travel to Ripon's Swiss Club once a year for the festival, I think I always just assumed it was Swiss.
https://sjvscriponswiss.com/club-history

Further down the 99 (125 miles further south) is Kingsburg with a Swedish history of settlers.

Part of California's history had lot of Swiss, German, Dutch and other European folks making their way west, in part when/if they had skills with dairy cows. Happened later, however, then in places like Wisconsin.

Kathy's great-grandparents initially lived in the Chilcoot-Vinton area of California (admittedly very far from Ripon). In the graveyard out there there's memorials/markers set up to specifically commemorate the influence of European immigrants on the dairy farming beginnings of California.

...sorry; I just love this kind of history stuff. And now I want some cheese.

AS350driver wrote:
Bryce,

Do keep the trips and the debriefs coming. Your positivity is infectious during this time of constant negativity from, seemingly, every corner. It inspires others to also shrug off the negativity, to not allow it to soak in and change their behavior towards others. You’ve got a knack for retelling your expeditions.
Ever consider having a videographer accompany you guys? I could see you guys having a YouTube channel with millions of followers or a Travel channel series.

Kombi life for the over 30 crowd.

AS350driver, thanks for the kind words/encouragement.

Funny, I have to admit, Kathy and I fell into a long conversation on our trip with a guy whose current political and world view was about as 180-degrees away from mine as you can get.
...but that's exactly why we continued to have the conversation.
I wanted to hear his beliefs and opinions and experiences.
I wanted, perhaps desperately wanted, to have a dialog instead of the isolation we have all been experiencing.
I wanted to dispel (for/of myself, as well as for/from him) any kind of all-or-nothing side-taking viewpoints which media may emphasize as being currently common nowadays.
I wasn't out to change his opinion, and I doubt that he felt that he was going to change mine; but we did both want to hear one another. To give space for our differences, and perhaps have the chance to see something from a different angle.
One of the main things that I greatly appreciate about people is that their own lives, experiences and beliefs make them the interesting and worthwhile humans that they/we are. I attempt to learn about people since it has the ability to enriches ones self and expand an understanding of the world.
I always try to offer the same open respect as I hope to receive.
We ended our conversation with my summarizing the experience; "here's some things that I sense/heard that we have in common. We come about it different ways, and have some differing opinions, but I'm so pleased we get to talk and appreciate one another."
We both "won" since we both came away from the experience smiling and wishing one another well and to have great travels.

As to a doing video journals? Sure; why not? Set us up with a videographer (I couldn't bear the time it takes for editing).
If anyone can put up with my bad puns and my personal sense of humor/"wit", we'll gladly try to fill the space left behind by someone like Huell Howser of "California's Gold" ('cept VW-centric).

All joking aside; we're pleased when/if these stories at least give folks an arm-chair travel view of what we're up to.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: It's Huell's accent (not from California) and almost child-like amazement at anything he's told that just makes him hilarious to watch.
ie: "...and you say they'd pan the gold, right here? Amazing!"

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37
Jump to:
Page 37 of 37

Jump to: