Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

Sorry, I have worked grocery retail for 22 years. I guess you hit a nerve. lol. No offense intended
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Have not been there in a long time, but it was the only place I could find a bike chain.

On that note, the bike parts section was picked pretty thin. Almost no adult size bikes on the rack, and very few 26" tubes or tires available.

You may be disappointed in that bike chain. I went to my local little bike shop I always get my parts from, said I wanted the best bike chain. Sadly, a year later, it's so stretched, I mean what a POS!

I'd rather have nothing, then buy a product that is junk in a year. Evil or Very Mad

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Have not been there in a long time, but it was the only place I could find a bike chain.

On that note, the bike parts section was picked pretty thin. Almost no adult size bikes on the rack, and very few 26" tubes or tires available.

You may be disappointed in that bike chain. I went to my local little bike shop I always get my parts from, said I wanted the best bike chain. Sadly, a year later, it's so stretched, I mean what a POS!

I'd rather have nothing, then buy a product that is junk in a year. Evil or Very Mad

Just found out its four inches too short! Dammit! No length given on the packaging. Just that it was made for single speed full size bikes.

Called a friend that builds a few bikes. He has some chain for me.

Last edited by cdennisg on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Long-roofs wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Just found out its four inches too short! Dammit!

Add a ton of quick links, LOL
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Long-roofs wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Just found out its four inches too short! Dammit!

Add a ton of quick links, LOL

Maybe space them out evenly over the length of the chain for a cool visual effect! Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:

Best might be a relative term. Best might be the lightest and not the longest lasting.

I replace the chain twice a year since i put 5000 miles a year on the bike. I clean and lube the drivetrain every week, about 150 miles, so this way I get the most life from it.

The don't "stretch", they wear and which cause them to get longer.

Park makes a tool to measure wear.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Long-roofs wrote:

Best might be a relative term. Best might be the lightest and not the longest lasting.

I replace the chain twice a year since i put 5000 miles a year on the bike. I clean and lube the drivetrain every week, about 150 miles, so this way I get the most life from it.

The don't "stretch", they wear and which cause them to get longer.

You may have a couple more miles on a bike than I do. My bikes are old cruisers, some skip-tooth etc....mostly for hitting store a mile away or breweries. I may have 100 miles on that chain.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

I only rode about 5 miles today, on my 1978 Peugeot; I'm old, it was windy, and I'm tired !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

I stopped by a friend's small lumber mill a few days ago, to order up some materials for my house trim project. He told me the name brand local yards have been calling him to buy dimensional cedar, as they cannot get any right now. He has other commitments to his regulars, so he had to decline.

Prices on some dimensional lumber and sheet goods have doubled or tripled over the last couple of months. And some things are pretty much unavailable. Makes me glad I did my major house remodel two years ago, and I no longer work in the construction trade.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

There is a shortage of common sense and respect!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
There is a shortage of common sense and respect!

like cutting taxes/budgets & running budget deficits!
How would you like to live on Less Money & Government Services every year?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I stopped by a friend's small lumber mill a few days ago, to order up some materials for my house trim project. He told me the name brand local yards have been calling him to buy dimensional cedar, as they cannot get any right now. He has other commitments to his regulars, so he had to decline.

Prices on some dimensional lumber and sheet goods have doubled or tripled over the last couple of months. And some things are pretty much unavailable. Makes me glad I did my major house remodel two years ago, and I no longer work in the construction trade.

For the past couple decades, I've been amazed at how cheap lumber was considering all the effort it takes to grow, harvest, mill, and ship. I certainly was accustomed to really cheap lumber prices. Now that there is some supply issues and higher demand, prices are sky high and a lot of stuff is limited to poor quality seconds or simply unavailable. Maybe the price is where it should be, but sticker shocking none the less to buy a small project worth of lumber. Can't imagine trying to build/expand a house right now.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

For the past couple decades, I've been amazed at how cheap lumber was considering all the effort it takes to grow, harvest, mill, and ship. I certainly was accustomed to really cheap lumber prices. Now that there is some supply issues and higher demand, prices are sky high and a lot of stuff is limited to poor quality seconds or simply unavailable. Maybe the price is where it should be, but sticker shocking none the less to buy a small project worth of lumber. Can't imagine trying to build/expand a house right now.

Agreed. Though it seems, from the outside looking in, that it isn't the landowner (grower) or the logger that is making money on the current cost increases. The mills and the retailer are benefiting the most, along with commodity investors.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
marklaken wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Agreed. Though it seems, from the outside looking in, that it isn't the landowner (grower) or the logger that is making money on the current cost increases. The mills and the retailer are benefiting the most, along with commodity investors.

Really @ $52 for 48X96 T-111 at Home Depot!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plytanium-Plywood-Sidi.../100000016

Shows as $34 online for 8".
Less for 4" at $29.
Weird it would be cheaper in SoCal than in OR!

But the future is in engineered wood... more sustainable and doesn't need the higher quality raw stock that is getting scarcer. More energy and machining to make it, but probably a good trade-off.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

the plywood at lowes has doubbled in the past 6 months.the osb has tripped or more....kinda strange since the hurican michel back last year made oh somany tree farms totaly gone in the south for lumber, but for osb it was like free . they were just picking it up and hauling it off making wood chips. Ive never seen somuch total distruction on such a massive scale & Ive been through many of these. and another one tomorrow or day after.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

But the future is in engineered wood... more sustainable and doesn't need the higher quality raw stock that is getting scarcer. More energy and machining to make it, but probably a good trade-off.

Seriously - I was able to buy 14"x1.75"x20' Microlam garage header beams ($105) for less than I could buildup the same beam using traditional #2 grade lumber, which would be half the strength and triple the thickness.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Less for 4" at $29.

Online prices and in-store price are often different. Not sure why, but don't expect to get the online price when you go to the store.

A close friend of mine and long time coworker in construction has family in San Diego. He goes down there to help with some remodel work occasionally. When he goes to the lumber yard there, the lumber stamps are from the mill just down the road from here, the lumber is better quality than what is sold here, and is often the same price or less than it is here, for the exact same stuff. And it has been shipped to Socal!

Yes, engineered wood certainly has it's place in the industry. But OSB still sucks. I would never use it to sheet a roof, and rarely use it for walls except for gable ends where the sheets offer no structure, just some thing for the siding to grab onto.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Less for 4" at $29.

My purchase was 1+ years ago when I replaced 8" siding & trim mainly
on our South wall getting ready for an appraisal/re-financing.
I thanked God then that I wasn't building a whole house from scratch! Rolling Eyes
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Reply with quote

Fuel Tanker Drivers, Chlorine, Micro-chips.
I'm sure there are more shortages to come Rolling Eyes

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: