Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 T-Stat test
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

In the past I have done the boiling water in the kitchen test.... But today I realized that I had not tested my fully installed T-Stat. So I got out the heat gun and the laser thermometer and gave it a try.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FLAPS and STAT ARE COLD.

ADDED SOME HEAT.

FLAPS MOVE.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

Looks pretty good, but why is the cable curved when it's in the hot position?, the lever doesn't look like it's in the full hot position (straight up), is the failsafe spring installed correctly?, looks like it's only letting the flaps open 3/4 way.

As for the hot water test (or heat gun), never ever test a thermostat out of it's bracket, it has to be corralled in the bracket to prevent stretching it past it's useful range of operation. What you've done there is fine, but I have seen others blow the thing up to 4+" long, they never recover from that.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

I think the curved cable in the picture is the excess. I wrapped it around stuff.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

I'm referring to the lower section, it doesn't appear to be under much tension, yet the flaps aren't fully open, the moustrap spring on the crossbar should be pulling on it hard enough to almost straighten it out.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

Pretty straight....

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

busdaddy is right, something is not right with the spring that pulls the flaps open.

When fully open, that tab that sticks up from the flaps rod should be vertical.

The spring does NOT go under the nut/plate on the tab, only the end of the cable does.

Somebody throw up a photo of how it's supposed to be at the flaps rod please.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

OK here is a thought. I will heat the Stat and attach the cable with the TAB straight up and the Stat fully extended.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

I meant the lower of the 2 parts of the cable on the upper clamp/lever, the one that does the pulling (not the free end) looks limp. Maybe it's just due to a stiff cable?, or clamped on a funny angle?

Bottom line is that lever has to be vertical when hot, try your warm thermostat adjustment theory. Or unbolt the thermostat in it's bracket and pull the cable tight when the lever is vertical and clamp it, then pull the thermostat forward and install the hold down bolt. the flaps may not end up fully shut, but when warm they will be fully open that's what matters.

Слава Україні!
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

If this is an Awesome Powdercoat T stat it will 'begin' to move open at 185F-194F (not full open) So the adjustment side should not be vertical at that specific temp.

At what temperature does the thermostat open?

German stat for type IV carb and FI engines, and 4 cylinder Porsche 912 and 914 engines, starts to open at 85-90C (185-194F)

Do you have the small spring on the adjustment end?
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

You may also want to check and see if the crossbar is twisted. Remove the front half of the blower housing to confirm the flaps are where they should be hot and cold.

When cold, the 1/2 side flap should be down against a small boss cast in the blower housing which keeps the flap from completely closing. The 3/4 side should be up to the upper cooling tin which the lower edge of the flap nearly touching the blower housing.

When hot, the 1/3 side should be fully open. The 3/4 side should be fully down against the oil cooler tin.

Bend/twist the bar to synchronize this operation if it is out of whack.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
busdaddy is right, something is not right with the spring that pulls the flaps open.

When fully open, that tab that sticks up from the flaps rod should be vertical.

The spring does NOT go under the nut/plate on the tab, only the end of the cable does.

Somebody throw up a photo of how it's supposed to be at the flaps rod please.

A photo would be great, I'm second guessing my spring installation now. T-stat works and I *think* it's adjusted properly, and I *think* the spring is installed right. I could only figure out one way for it to go. Now I have to go check it all.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

SUCCESS. I think I HAD the cable wrapped incorrectly. Same goes for the TIV in my 914. There is a curved "ramp" on the flap rod at the pinch point for the cable. If you wrap the cable UNDER the pinch bolt, the cable rides on the ramp.

You can see the use of the RAMP in this picture. I am calling this correct. Why else would they put the ramp there? I think it keeps from having a sharp bend in the cable and gives it longer life. As if 45 years was not long enough.

HERE IS A SHOT OF THE SPRING. Looks right to me. IIRC when installing the spring, there is only one way to go. Either it is too loose, just right, or you can't quite make it go any tighter. Brilliant.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

This is my 914. Started her up to get her warm.... I have the cable wrapped wrong here too. But the tab is pointed straight up when hot.

HOT.... Flaps open fully

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

Much better! Smile

Слава Україні!
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

With a running engine, air pressure probably helps combined with spring pressure to open flaps when thermostat starts to open.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

Also....a lot of people never notice this....but on the flap rod....about 1 foot to the left of the clamp for the thermostat cable (when you are standing on the fan end of the engine)...there is a "cranked" section of the flap rod right near the distributor...right before it goes int the nylon bearing and teh left hand flap housing.

When you are setting the thermostat cable up....this "cranked" section of flap rod is you "third hand". Simply rotate the flap rod to full closed and insert a simple wooden or plastic wedge into the cranked area between teh rod and and the cooling shroud.

This keeps the flaps tightly closed while you use both hands to install and tighten the T-stat cable.

Ray
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Also....a lot of people never notice this....but on the flap rod....about 1 foot to the left of the clamp for the thermostat cable (when you are standing on the fan end of the engine)...there is a "cranked" section of the flap rod right near the distributor...right before it goes int the nylon bearing and teh left hand flap housing.

When you are setting the thermostat cable up....this "cranked" section of flap rod is you "third hand". Simply rotate the flap rod to full closed and insert a simple wooden or plastic wedge into the cranked area between teh rod and and the cooling shroud.

This keeps the flaps tightly closed while you use both hands to install and tighten the T-stat cable.

Ray

Even easier...

Cut a piece of fuel line down it's length ~3in/ Install it over that section of the rod. Then use vice grips on it to hold the flaps closed when installing-tightening the cable nut.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 T-Stat test Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

Even easier...

Cut a piece of fuel line down it's length ~3in/ Install it over that section of the rod. Then use vice grips on it to hold the flaps closed when installing-tightening the cable nut.

Thats exactly what I do!.... Laughing ....I just did not want to note that I was doing something kind of "crude" that "could" damage the rod if done incorrectly. I just know that someone will skip the fuel line and just vise-grip to the rod.

In the beginning I used a wedge. But if the wedge is not just the right shape....it can pop out while you are working on the other end.

Holding the rod full closed and clamping the vise grips on while resting against the shroud does it quick and easy.

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: