Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

100mm CV joint axle boot options
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

I did a bunch of searching and reading and now its time to ask the off road guys. I built a custom IRS rear end for my brother's 1957 panel van and I have only been able to get a few thousand miles out of a set of axle boots. Here is the build thread. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

The bus is raised up and has a beetle IRS gearbox, narrowed baywindow trailing arms, and bus axles with new 100mm 944 Lobro CV joints that I race prep'd. Axle angle is roughly 18 degrees. I am running OE VW stamped steel flanges (non-crimped) with Rockford Duraboots. The inner bellow of the boot rubs on the axle eventually causing the boot to fail. I was hoping to not have to convert to 930 joints.

So what would you guys recommend? EMPI sells a boot kit with a flange that is supposedly designed for longer travel http://www.piersideparts.net/MB86-9303D.html My other thought would be to find a boot that fits the outside of the CV and mount it so the CV bolts are hidden under the boot. I've also seen a flange for 930 CVs that mates up to the CV joint with the mounting bolts but the boot then affixes to the flange which is roughly the same diameter as the outer diameter of the CV joint. As far as I know no one makes these for 100mm joints. Any thought or ideas would be appreciated.

thanks
Josh
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those boots are the same as those used by offroad racers for decades on 930 CVs. The flange to mount it to the CV is different in that it's designed to fit the 100mm CV instead of the 930. The boots should work fine at the angle you're talking about.

The boot used for those was originally designed for the inner tie rod end/rack housing end junction for the steering rack for something like a Peugeot. I knew what it was back in the 1980s. Been a while since I needed to know. But they work well for CVs.

I've not seen any of the boots that cover the CV bolts made for 100mm CVs.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sandbar Norm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

https://www.kartek.com/parts-categories/rubber-cv-boots.html
Not much to chose from.
I have the boots that you show in the your picture.
Have not used them yet so I don't know how long they will last.

Last edited by Sandbar Norm on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

I had problems with the other boots and flanges you linked. They are way thinner material than the oe boot and tear. My axles are maxed at 22*, but they didn't last too long. I've thought about finding boots that fit over the cv, and zip tie/band clamp them on.
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

tripicana wrote:
I had problems with the other boots and flanges you linked. They are way thinner material than the oe boot and tear. My axles are maxed at 22*, but they didn't last too long. I've thought about finding boots that fit over the cv, and zip tie/band clamp them on.

The 100mm ones that EMPI makes? If its made by EMPI I generally ask first to avoid throwing my money away.

Take a look at the dimension on these boots below. You might be able to fit it to the outer part of the joint. Its tapered too which I think would work better than the "steering rack" looking boot EMPI sells.
https://www.stretchcvboot.com/cv-boots/
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

Ya the empi ones tore first race.
I like the look of those cvs boots.
I'll have to measure the empi flanges, a cut down cvs11, or the cvs33 looks like a better alternative.
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

It looks like those stretch boots are sold by Dorman as a universal "HELP" product at most auto parts stores. You can google it to find a part number. I'd like to see one in person. I also ordered a boot this morning (EMPI 86-2326) that may fit the outer part of a 100mm CV. Also, if you are interested EMPI has an online catalog with boot measurements. https://empius.com/acatalog/PDFs/2017_A_Catalog-CV_Boot_Illustrations.pdf
(321) 449-4665

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
CruisinMark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

Hi Lowbrau
Which boots did you end up using please? I'm doing a similar conversion to my Aussie built 57 bus here in Canada.
CruisinMark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

Does anyone else have any recommendations please?
Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

Check the build post for my ‘70 baja. I used empi 2 piece boots with 100mm 944 CV. It is the same style as the 930 cv boot used in all baja race cars.
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

I've used the EMPI boots, and as long as they are new, and torqued properly, they work great and seem to last a long time. Your issue is not the boot, but rather the interference with the boot on the trailing arm. You already customized the transaxle and the bus, so it sounds like you need to make some mods to the trailing arm to avoid some rubbing.

This is a consideration on race vehicles with 'boxed' rear trailing arms, to make sure the box plates don't interfere with the stub flange, CV, or boot, especially with the shock pushing and potentially flexing that top plate into the flange.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CruisinMark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

Excellent. Thank you for the advice. I'm in the process of building everything up in readiness for the bus coming off the road at the end of next month.
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

We have used these without any issues, running in Baja for the NORRA Mexican 1000 and logged many highway miles on our 930's.
https://www.kartek.com/parts/empi-86-9301-porsche-...anges.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 100mm CV joint axle boot options Reply with quote

Been using the one piece deals for 12 years with no issues i will replace them every couple of years on my buggy.I am at 21 degrees too.I have only had one boot rip probably an old one too.

I was going to do the 2 piece ones but guy at makenzies was showing me where the axle can hit the flange or something like that.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: