Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Knock sensor added to stock Fuel injection
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't the sweet spot for me. It picks up more cam gear noise there vs more centrally located to the mid of the block. Just moving from that rear fuel pump cover stud 2" forward to the dist clamp stud made an improvement for me. That is aircooled though, wassers are quiet.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
jberger wrote:
jackbombay wrote:
I'd love to hear some MPG numbers when you get some ore miles with the J&S, I've always thought it was a really cool piece of equipment!

Not sure I'm a good bench mark. I am really really not nice to this engine. Drive it like you stole it. "Hit me Peter"!. Heavy Syncro Westy with 215/75/15's Tube steel and plate bumpers, 4kids, wife, dog, Moto's, camp gear..... the list goes on.

As long as you have some consistent "before" numbers to compare to thats all that matters, but I am admittedly more of an MPG geek than most people.

So I ran a round trip MPG log for a 650 mile weekend camp romp. From SF bay to Trinity National Forest 50° to 105°, pulling a trailer, approx 900lbs, Thule Box on the roof with chairs and sleeping bags, Interior packed, Generator, AC unit, 4 kids, 110lb dog, Wife, Me... 3400rpm mostly, 18.1 mpg.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So I ran a round trip MPG log for a 650 mile weekend camp romp. From SF bay to Trinity National Forest 50° to 105°, pulling a trailer, approx 900lbs, Thule Box on the roof with chairs and sleeping bags, Interior packed, Generator, AC unit, 4 kids, 110lb dog, Wife, Me... 3400rpm mostly, 18.1 mpg."

Congratulations! That is excellent fuel mileage on that combination. Shows what high compression can do.

Maybe some of the major WBX builders will now look at adding knock control since your experiment has been so successful.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did a familiar MPG run this Sunday. 4 dirt moto's, hitch carrier and trailer, gear, two adults and 4 kids.. Run from SF to Metcalf park in SJ, round trip is a bit over 120miles. I had previously gotten 14-15mpg on this run, probably pushing it a bit MPH wise. This time was 20.1mpg. I would say most of that was holding back to 3400rpm instead of balling at 3800-4000, but I also think that being able to run more advance, gaining its benefit under lighter loads and letting the safeguard pull it back as needed when under stress helps.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
"So I ran a round trip MPG log for a 650 mile weekend camp romp. From SF bay to Trinity National Forest 50° to 105°, pulling a trailer, approx 900lbs, Thule Box on the roof with chairs and sleeping bags, Interior packed, Generator, AC unit, 4 kids, 110lb dog, Wife, Me... 3400rpm mostly, 18.1 mpg."

Congratulations! That is excellent fuel mileage on that combination. Shows what high compression can do.

Maybe some of the major WBX builders will now look at adding knock control since your experiment has been so successful.

last august made trip from San fransisco bay area to Loon lake off highway 50 near Tahoe for a four day camping trip, five people on board, loaded with camping gear for much larger group of people that followed in smaller cars, two large ice boxes, chairs, stoves, firewood, guns, ammo, spare 5 gallon gas can, about 10 gallons drinking water, and more in all very heavy , plus a 15 foot long sail boat turned upside down on Yakima roof rack, and I got about 19 mpg round trip. big bore 2.2 liter motor with stock digifant injection in my 1986 van. lots of 70+ mph driving on the flats. NO knock sensor.

Seems to me that 18.1 mpg is not all that unusual for a stock vanagon.

usually I get about 20 mpg on more lightly loaded Yosemite trips.

I would only be impressed if the mileage went above 22 mpg, as I can squeeze out 21 mpg if I drive no more than 65 mph and don't carry a lot of weight.

not to say the knock sensor equipped high compression motor wont have more power or allow a faster trip, I admit I did slow a bit on the steepest mountain highways uphill on the Loon Lake trip but I still got around 19 mpg.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should review my posts... This is a Heavy Syncro camper... With all the extra expedition bits... Overloaded is a subjective term
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like excellent milage to me. Many here do not get that in a stock 2WD Westies. While I seem to always get 20.5+ in my 86 Weekender (2WD, 4-spd, no A/C), and have gotten a few tanks of 23 and 24 in Cross-Country mode, you mileage is actually better considering the load.

Bravo with the knock sensor. I've wondered if the later Digifant II (from Jetta) with its knock sensor could be fitted to a Vanaogn for low cost.
I plan to run such in my Vanagon later this year, but it will be attached to an in-line 4 from a Jetta Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
jackbombay wrote:
jberger wrote:
jackbombay wrote:
I'd love to hear some MPG numbers when you get some ore miles with the J&S, I've always thought it was a really cool piece of equipment!

Not sure I'm a good bench mark. I am really really not nice to this engine. Drive it like you stole it. "Hit me Peter"!. Heavy Syncro Westy with 215/75/15's Tube steel and plate bumpers, 4kids, wife, dog, Moto's, camp gear..... the list goes on.

As long as you have some consistent "before" numbers to compare to thats all that matters, but I am admittedly more of an MPG geek than most people.

So I ran a round trip MPG log for a 650 mile weekend camp romp. From SF bay to Trinity National Forest 50° to 105°, pulling a trailer, approx 900lbs, Thule Box on the roof with chairs and sleeping bags, Interior packed, Generator, AC unit, 4 kids, 110lb dog, Wife, Me... 3400rpm mostly, 18.1 mpg.

Thanks for the MPG numbers, thats a nice gain from previous!

18 MPG isn't huge by itself, but your van is generally quite loaded when you travel, lots of weight, box on the roof for aero penalty, trailer out back for more aero penalty, etc... In light of this, the 18 is impressive. I've always thought the J&S had a lot of potential, its good to read some feedback on it.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Seems to me that 18.1 mpg is not all that unusual for a stock vanagon.

usually I get about 20 mpg on more lightly loaded Yosemite trips.

When you get 20 MPG on the way to Yosemite how many motorcycles are you pulling in a trailer? None, I assume, so you're comparing apples to oranges Wink

Samba ad here.

svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a sweet add-on device! Didn't know someone was making such thing as a knock sensor box that runs piggy back. That's pretty darn smart!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Perhaps you should review my posts... This is a Heavy Syncro camper... With all the extra expedition bits... Overloaded is a subjective term

Perhaps you should review my post, I did quote you about your reported mileage, and the conditions under which you got that mileage. I did review what you wrote, else I would not have quoted it.

Yes "overloaded" is subjective.

If you report a before and after mileage under identical conditions except for the knock sensor and compression upgrade, then your reported mileage would be meaningful. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Short of that, it is apples and oranges.

I do hope that you experience greatly increased mileage however, regardless of apples or oranges.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
jberger wrote:

Perhaps you should review my post, I did quote you about your reported mileage, and the conditions under which you got that mileage. I did review what you wrote, else I would not have quoted it.

If you report a before and after mileage under identical conditions except for the knock sensor and compression upgrade, then your reported mileage would be meaningful. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I do hope that you experience greatly increased mileage however, regardless of apples or oranges.

Why you mad bro?

Samba ad here.

svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO adding a knock sensor is not a mileage thing at all. It's about avoiding internal damages when the engine is at high power output, and that's not going to help your mileage anyway. Pinging is a bad thing and if pinging happens when your driving at moderate output your in trouble (and adding a knock sensor might not be the best solution for that case).

As long as you can keep on running with aggressive advancement your device is a good thing and I like that very much.
It's just not a mileage improver. It's an engine saver.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

svenakela wrote:

It's just not a mileage improver. It's an engine saver.

Keeping ignition timing advanced so that the engine is on the verge of detonation (advanced as far as possible without pinging) will help power and economy. This is easy to test, retard your ignition timing 5 degrees and run a few tanks of gas through the van and see how power and economy change.

Samba ad here.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
jberger wrote:

Why you mad bro?

Mad, fuck no, see the smiley faces????? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

If I was mad it would be devil faces Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

What's with the black cat photo, are you the devil?????? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

have fun Razz Laughing Smile Very Happy Wink

90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Knock sensor added to stock Fuel injection Reply with quote

Mr Berger,

Can you elaborate on your engine spec.? Is it an MV engine with DJ pistons only?

Which cam?
Which rocker ratio?
Which ignition system?
Crank?

This will help me know if 1.25 rockers and an HP cam can be combined with a 2.1 DJ piston. That's what I hope to build.

Thanks,
R
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Knock sensor added to stock Fuel injection Reply with quote

90weekender wrote:
Mr Berger,

Can you elaborate on your engine spec.? Is it an MV engine with DJ pistons only?

Which cam?
Which rocker ratio?
Which ignition system?
Crank?

This will help me know if 1.25 rockers and an HP cam can be combined with a 2.1 DJ piston. That's what I hope to build.

Thanks,
R

Hi R,

These’s a thread on here somewhere with my build spec.. look for “home brew 2.4”. This is version 2 of that engine. 82x96.. rocky’s cam. Stock digifant with chipped ecu.. 10c exhaust. Huge compression ratio. IIRC it would trip 240psi on a cold compression test FWIW

J
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: