Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Today ended up offering up some valuable garage time to see about pulling the engine on the '60 camper. A lot of the morning was taken up just clearing out the back of the work space, like epically failing at draining used mineral oil from my 14 in rock saw, cleaning and stowing that awkward beast among other BS. Once the bus was rolled to the front of the stall I was pretty pleased with the space I have behind her. It was getting late in the afternoon before I was in any place to start turning a wrench on the bus and to the meat of the project. My goal was to get the engine out and on a stand.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I learned right away that I might not be making that goal. The rear bumper bolts were all locked up tight and they wouldn't budge. I wasn't sure I would be able to even get one free with penetrating oil alone so I add some heat and see what I could do. At this point, I don't really care how far I get really, I'm just happy to be working on the bus and I'll have to be patient with these old creaky bones. It helps to first wire brush the gunk off the bolt that protrudes out the nut, then back and fourth with heat and oil. As I get them to slowly free up, I have to run them back in and out a few times as well and eventually I get all 4 main mounting bolts. There are two small bolts that mount the splash pans and one to the heater exhaust mount that all twist in half instead of coming free.

Two more rear corner mounts and I think I'm stripping a head and scrounge up a 12 sided 15'mm socket and realize I'm in 14mm territory. Just when I memorized what called for 10, 13, 15mm I have to jump to 9mm and 14mm! A few extra crawl unders while I get up to speed, lol. More oil and heat, two sequences before I even try and a tighten before a reversal break out. Then more heat and oil and some loosening and tightening before success. I'm having fun now!

The apron was no better. I'm even more careful here as I would really prefer these threads stay intact. Same drill. These really shrieked when they let go, pretty satisfying to see them out problem free.

That slowed me down a few hours easily. I'm pretty energized now, and dirty so I press on. Its pretty ugly underneath. The fuel reserve mechanism is caked in nasty...

One lower engine mounting nut is clean and exposed, the pass side, not so much....I include three pictures just for you to share in my delight. My 90* pick digs around enough to see something, then I get a wrench on a few turns and actually spin it off with my fingers.

Wires, throttle cable, fuel line, heat exchangers, no fourth bolt present. The fuel line hung me up because fuel was actually coming out. I expected it tarred up. It was skunky for sure but flowing which I see as a good sign for a possible usable tank. Out she comes.

Creature from the black lagoon looking stuff here. Its gonna be one heck of a diaper change under here considering what the transaxle has left, not counting the gas tank.

I got kinda caught up in the session and time ran away from me. Perfect! Just what the bus is supposed to do for me. I decided to just pick up toys here for the day as a huge win getting this far and not breaking anything. The expect the hardware will clean up decent. I spray penetrating out on every thing I can see and reach in there! The only things unusable were some thin bolts and some cracked bumper washers. I've never encountered that before. There is enough room in here for some engine attention or transaxle, but probably not both at the same time. I'll see where this leads me for now. The engine has oil in it and turns over, but I'll strip the externals off and see what I find after that for a game plan.

1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion

Last edited by WildIdea on Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Keep up the good work! Freeing stuck fasteners that haven't moved for decades takes up a good amount of time.

That seat turned out perfect!!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Keep up the good work! Freeing stuck fasteners that haven't moved for decades takes up a good amount of time.

That seat turned out perfect!!

Thanks oakman, I'm getting more experience points with rusty bolts as I continue. I feel this will be a trend here for a while. So far, I've found that if I come at it fresh and with a fair amount of patience they have been coming apart without stripping or breaking anything.

Today was more of the same. All last week I had been thinking about what to do next and was considering the gas tank. I have a real mess on my hands there. The drain is all mucked up and if I get it removed I would be having who knows how much bad skunky gas draining out and possibly running out all over the transaxle. I've messed with that kind of bad gas before with my Bay Window and I'm not wanting to pay the price for even a small spill. Even the few drops I had removing the engine have my garage a bit reeky. I'm resigned to go ahead and remove the transaxle now in preparation for the gas tank removal and just make a spot for it someplace.

Brian reminded me to loosen the axle nuts first and I almost forgot. I had them soaking in penetrating oil this week. The passenger side cotter pin came out just fine, but it was the drivers side that was missing the hubcap that was a real bear. The pin had been rust frozen inside the castle nut and was fused pretty good.

I wiggled, tapped and pried. I went to heat and oil pretty quick. Several sequences of that and a chisel inside the loop and nothing! I'm on this thing a while and I don't have much space for my body up against the wall. I don't panic, I just keep tapping and heating and scalding oil on the issue. Actually, it's when my chisel splits the loop on the pin does that kinda free me up and I can wiggle each pin separately and I get one half out! Success! Home free here.

This lil guy took a good bit of time and I don't care, nothing was scratched up banging on it. I bust out my impact and start rapping on the nut. Even this takes heat and oil a few times and I can see it's moving as the cotter pin hole is a bit covered. I few sequences here and she gives up her grip. Same deal on the other side.

I give up on having the transaxle out at this point. On my '65, I hardly ever had to struggle or concentrate on the hardware, just learning and figuring out how the mechanisms worked. Here, I know what's going on but the hardware removal is really the tough part. I'm good with it, I'm just grateful to simply be working on my bus. At this point I'm dirty enough and I should keep going.

I think this axle boot bought the farm Laughing Poking around for what to unhook, I see the heat exchanger cable is completely covered inside tar.

I decide to tackle the parking brake cables next. I get my star tool clicking and the pass side frees up just turning one star and the drum slides right off. The condition is overall pretty solid. The drum looks meaty and hardly has a lip and the pads still look thick. The cable has a mount I'm not familiar with. I can sort of tell through the dirt that the cable mount might be part of the backing plate, I'll have to reference my service manual. Not wanting to start a brake disassembly, I head up front to remove the cable from there and hopefully drag it through.

Again with the stuck fasteners! Heat and oil and with me always now. Running those two 10mm overhead in a tight space for and inch and half of dirty threads makes for some bloodless sleepy arms.

The cable drags out fine and its covered in oil so I'm happy to see that, thinking the tube is in usable condition. Once the cable is out of the body I drag it back forward and coil it up with some zip ties and put the drum back on finger tight. I'll figure out how to remove and replace those upcoming I suppose.

Drivers side drum wouldn't come off as easy. I had to turn in both stars and still nothing. Out comes the puller and that was just enough to persuade the drum to migrate off.

By now I'm running out of time and gas in my tank. I getting pretty beat up crawling around for one day. Who cares now, I'll pay the price tomorrow, I love it and press on for the spring plate mounts. Oil and heat for sure. I don't even try them dry anymore. Even with a breaker bar they sure like the oil and heat. I mess around with the shock mounts even more. Crazy tight! You guessed it, heat and oil several times. I get Cat in to help hold a 17mm on the nut and I break them loose from the head of the bolt on the inside with my breaker bar. Took all my weight. Upper mounts were a breeze. Shocks on the list!

I call it quits there for the day and pick up tools. I'm in solid striking distance for plucking out the transaxle next session. I have a few milk crates around here someplace. It's out of the way right where she is for now anyway. I'm seeing brake lines, wiring to starter, clutch cable, ground cable, shift coupler, front mount. The coupler was torn in half when we tried to put in neutral when we first got her, not sure it will clear that way. That little grub screw could be a fiasco, lol. Thanks for looking.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Judging by the caked up oil in the pics a few replies back, this bus was well oiled! The PO must have not let the leaks get ahead of him!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2086340.jpg
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

get yourself a nice 1/2" impact gun and use that on 90% of those fasteners! zip zip and they're done. I can't remember the last time I broke large hardware and I've taken apart over ten buses in two years.

unless of course you enjoy struggling Laughing
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Great thread! Brings back memories of clearing out my old Kombi. I love that you got it in as found state. Also brings back some bad memories of how the guy who found my bus removed a lot of original
items from my 1 owner bus.....oh well.

Anyway 2 things I thought of while I lost my morning to reading your thread.

1) See the section here about getting the white lines applied to the bias plys if you don’t find some with them on.

https://youtu.be/Re5C1jnEVjc

2) Seems like your good with your floor mat. But I thought of this vid concerning reviving rubber parts. Might be useful for some other areas? (I’m looking forward to reviving my number plate rubber boot with this technique.)

https://youtu.be/9eTF6tnYYdc

Great thread! Great bus!

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Judging by the caked up oil in the pics a few replies back, this bus was well oiled! The PO must have not let the leaks get ahead of him!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2086340.jpg

Considering the caked up areas, I have learned that when I see built up tar, that a seal gave up and whatever was behind it is now empty. I've seen it on all three of my steering boxes, one RGB and transaxles. I guess I don't know if this builds up while the vehicle was in operation and it's a mix of oil and road grime or if a seal lip ages out and splits or just crumbles and for oil to crystalize while its in a long slumber just sitting in a field building up like a stalactite wind blown dirt and dead vegetation, or both.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

sled wrote:
get yourself a nice 1/2" impact gun and use that on 90% of those fasteners! zip zip and they're done. I can't remember the last time I broke large hardware and I've taken apart over ten buses in two years.

unless of course you enjoy struggling Laughing

It's def crossed my mind. The one I have is a ¾ drive and for me its a two handed beast. Good for gland and axle nuts but too unwieldy for much else.

I have build up a pretty respectable tool set based on a personal rule I adhere to. Whenever I go to the parts store, I buy a tool, even if I don't think I need it at the time. Seal puller, socket, puller, ect....I don't need much of an excuse for a tool purchase. Now I'm under strict instructions from sled to hunt down a ½ inch impact for some zip, zip...that and plenty of bolts ahead of me to justify it, I'll look for a quality one.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

burwin wrote:
Great thread! Brings back memories of clearing out my old Kombi. I love that you got it in as found state. Also brings back some bad memories of how the guy who found my bus removed a lot of original
items from my 1 owner bus.....oh well.

Anyway 2 things I thought of while I lost my morning to reading your thread.

1) See the section here about getting the white lines applied to the bias plys if you don’t find some with them on.

https://youtu.be/Re5C1jnEVjc

2) Seems like your good with your floor mat. But I thought of this vid concerning reviving rubber parts. Might be useful for some other areas? (I’m looking forward to reviving my number plate rubber boot with this technique.)

https://youtu.be/9eTF6tnYYdc

Great thread! Great bus!

Thanks! My buddy Kevin was super cool about leaving it completly intact and he knows the value of documenting the forensic evidence. He knows I want the joy of digging in myself and will journal it thoroughly. Cant thank him enough!

I was gonna post again last night, but ended up watching the Beetle rest video. Lots of good points inside of the episode, I can relate to almost all of it. I love that I'm not alone in my approach and intention for this bus.

The rubber refresh video was good too, although the recipe looks a bit complicated with chemicals to source, I like he snuck a hot sauce packet in there without mentioning it as an ingredient. Good humor there.

It all makes sense to me, I've grown up around and interested in antiques in general and can almost channel the energy in a way others don't. I'm a caretaker of some cool stuff now I suppose and just want to preserve and protect the history. This bus an antique I can climb in and pilot around, pretty immersive. I'm a graphic artist by trade primarily a professional tattooer for the last 23 years. Started off life building model airplanes and painting D&D lead figures, then as a teenager my exposure to the Sturgis Rally had me salivating to be a tattooer but was too young, so jumped in at airbrushing and chopper painting. I've painted countless signage, motorcycle graphics, and a few cars and even a semi cabin. Plex, glass, textile, leather, metal and plastic, almost any surface I can think of since I was a child. I have a background in lapidary and silversmithing, proper techniques for classic coin conservation, wax modeling and metal casting, even tie dyes, if it's artistic I want to be involved! My circle of friends are also strong artist and a few are taxidermists, jewelers and a pair of dudes that are second generation fossil preparers. Big influences on what are some of best professional crafting materials. These are my strong suits I'm bringing to the table on my project. Maybe I can add something to the scene here at some point. I really have to apply myself when it comes to mechanicals, but I'm willing to dig in myself, take my time and get dirty. I don't get the daily exposure to them like I would like and I'm working to lift the fog on bus mechanicals, you guys can't have all the fun without me. I'll get there one bolt at a time. I have learned that books help, internet invaluable and to run with folks who know. Plz forgive me, at my core, I'm still a knuckle dragging caveman, but nice.
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I always enjoy hearing what people do outside of Vw’s. You always find some kind of cross over. Myself I’m a car interior designer. But the part that classic VW’s Has brought out in me is this anal retentive spirituality with rusty bits. Talking to bolts. I even had an argument with a nut once.

In a parallel way to how I have seen skaters who are architects and the influence on their work, I know designers who are VW guys and they often have an affinity with the kind of kit feeling of design.

I am no expert with mechanics. The best tools I have in my “tool box” are a love for it and patience. (I will have to a badly placed sticker to that effect one day.)

Based on this thread you have this in spades!

Braukuche wrote:
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I was off hiking yesterday and of coarse mentally processing the bus and it dawned on me that draining the transaxle wasn't on my short list for removal. Figured that would be nice to get out while the unit was mostly level and elevated. With the amount of leaks going on, I anticipated the fluid levels to be low, if not entirely absent. As soon as I got home and cleaned up I went back out to the bus to get dirty again!

I started by cleaning up the drain plugs on the transaxle and RGB's so my hex tool could properly seat. My favorite tool for tar removal is a 90* pick with a rounded tip. Carefully digs into the tar without excessively scratching the case. To my surprise the tar is actually pretty stiff and sort of of pops of like plastic or maybe super stale black licorice, yum. That is a good sign for the future cleaning of the case.

The front chamber of the trans puts out quite a bit of fluid! I actually pretty surprised that it still resembles lubricant after sitting since 1977. That is a lot of time for anything sitting outside with 4 seasons IMO. I guess it is one of the most protected places on the bus. Could have been anything though, from dry to a watery milkshake. The magnet on the plug didn't have much to speak of for attached filings.

The rear chamber had about the same amount of fluid in it. Better than nothing inside!

A bit dirty, but hey, could be worse.

I wasn't seeing much for crusty tar under the RGB's but really expected the seals to have failed along time ago and for them to be dry. I was pleasantly surprised when they both showed 500+ ml of fluid. My plan is to keep and run this rear axle, so I consider this a good sign for the set up.

A hand me down ultrasonic cleaner from the tattoo shop for the garage is awesome to have for bus hardware. I wanted to get something else unhooked but it was all I could add for the day.

Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Great project.
I would like to make a suggestion.
Pick yourself up two things. First, a vibratory parts cleaner and some ceramic media. Run it with Simple Green or Purple Power. Let a machine clean the rust and crap off your small parts while you sleep.

Second, a parts washer from Harbor Freight. Get a crusty old used one and modify it to use a cleaning brush--the kind where the cleaning solvent flows through the brush as you clean the parts. I get Crown PSC1000 cleaning solvent from Tractor Supply https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/crown-psc-1000-parts-cleaner-5-gal , but if you don't have one of those, just get a five gallon can of any sort of cleaning solvent that you can find locally. I would not use a water based solvent as you will have a lot of steel, aluminum and cast iron parts. The water based solvents will corrode the aluminum and allow the ferrous metals to rust.

Being able to efficiently remove grease and rust from your parts will allow you to focus on wrenching instead of degreasing and will increase the satisfaction level a lot. When you're done with the project, if you find you're not using the parts cleaner and/or the vibratory cleaner, you can likely sell them for near what you paid.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I have heard of a hillbilly parts cleaner which is basically a bucket filled with diesel. Stinky but damn cheap

you get the idea

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Great project.
I would like to make a suggestion.
Pick yourself up two things. First, a vibratory parts cleaner and some ceramic media. Run it with Simple Green or Purple Power. Let a machine clean the rust and crap off your small parts while you sleep.

Second, a parts washer from Harbor Freight. Get a crusty old used one and modify it to use a cleaning brush--the kind where the cleaning solvent flows through the brush as you clean the parts. I get Crown PSC1000 cleaning solvent from Tractor Supply https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/crown-psc-1000-parts-cleaner-5-gal , but if you don't have one of those, just get a five gallon can of any sort of cleaning solvent that you can find locally. I would not use a water based solvent as you will have a lot of steel, aluminum and cast iron parts. The water based solvents will corrode the aluminum and allow the ferrous metals to rust.

Being able to efficiently remove grease and rust from your parts will allow you to focus on wrenching instead of degreasing and will increase the satisfaction level a lot. When you're done with the project, if you find you're not using the parts cleaner and/or the vibratory cleaner, you can likely sell them for near what you paid.

Thanks Major Woody, I appreciate the suggestions and pro tips. I do have a RCBS vibratory polisher and triangular ceramic media on hand for my jewelry and metal castings. I could easily try some parts in it. In the past I have gotten by with a wire wheel on my bench top grinder, ultrasonic tank and tough oily stuff a bucket and brush I pour into a can and take to the recycler.

I just looked up the parts cleaner link you provided. My garage space is at a premium. Heck, it's why I titled the thread this way, but a washer is looking tempting. I still believe I can do this work with the space I have, I feel lucky as hell to have the space to work in that I do, I just have to sacrifice in some ways. Now I'm side-eying the holiday decorations and whatnot. Cat says I can't put up a parts washer next to the overflow food pantry and dog food!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
I have heard of a hillbilly parts cleaner which is basically a bucket filled with diesel. Stinky but damn cheap

you get the idea

Thanks velvetgreen, this basically what I'm doing now, but with a nicer bucket and strainer!
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

This is my number one thread.

I’m sure your already aware of it but have you lost a day inside LT’s thread in the oval section? Plenty of useful preservation perversion there!

Seriously if you don’t already know this one - block out your day.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419739&highlight=

Braukuche wrote:
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

burwin wrote:
This is my number one thread.

I’m sure your already aware of it but have you lost a day inside LT’s thread in the oval section? Plenty of useful preservation perversion there!

Seriously if you don’t already know this one - block out your day.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419739&highlight=

burwin, Thanks for the link, I have it bookmarked! I was actually reading the thread in your sig line and was breezing through the banter, but had to slow down when I saw the onboard bathroom and toilet! Whoa! I have to finish yours first.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

My obsession is growing for this camper bus and I can’t stop thinking about it. After the kids went to bed I hit the shop to just take a few more things apart. It wasn’t long and I was filthy, so at the point I would be needing a shower I just pressed on.

Brake lines, forward mounts, clutch cable came apart pretty decent. I see the drivers heater cable was tied up and I see a failed mechanism just hanging out.

The electrical to the starter unbolted fine, it was another wire to the solenoid that I couldn’t make out in the tight spot and my view was blocked from the axle shaft. I felt around and remembered that a lot of these wire connectors are under set screws. I feel around in the dark with a slotted screwdriver and realize I wouldn’t be getting it freed up in that position with bad posture, so I decided to clip the wire as close to the mount as possible and free it up once the unit was out. I was already damaging the slot so I thought this was the prudent choice.

There wasn’t much else to it and with my ATV jack in place I just gave the unit a little jerk. Once the RGB’s were past the spring plates she basically slid out in one motion. I feel like the huge amount of oil slathered everywhere actually might have helped.

This starter solenoid is a design I’m not familiar with. Pretty cool looking, I hold out hope it can be rebuilt and be a workable piece.

In fact, I hold out hope that this whole unit will be in serviceable again. My game plan is to set the transaxle to the side and start cleaning the compartment to a point I can get in there and breath without a dust mask and not track this tar crud all over the shop and house. Then I’m going to tackle the gas tank removal and get that to a local shop for cleaning and inspection. While I’m waiting for those results, I’ll give the compartment a proper detailing and then turn my attention back to the transaxle and engine. The gas heater can say put for now, I have enough parts and bolts laying around than I’m comfortable with.

On the transaxle, I see a day of cleaning in my future. I’ll pull the rotten boots and rubber mounts and get those processed. Brake parts addressed. Interested in hearing what the group would say is a proper assessment process to determine if the gearbox will need more than cleaning, seals all around and new fluid. Thinking it unwise to go all over the externals and just pray it’s all ok inside just to find it has something critical going on. Should I have don’t that with it mounted? Thanks
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Excellent work. If someone hasn't answered your tranny questions I'll jump back in tomorrow and add my penny's worth.

First I can't believe you've done it all with the heater in place.
Second I think you are the first person to pull an engine with the air cleaner in situ let alone working around the heater.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

this is only my personal experience..but in many years of working on these buses I have found the nastiest, oiliest transaxles to be in the best condition. Oil means that the owners continued to fill it up, not drive it dry.

if it were me I would clean and inspect it very well, flush the old fluids, fill it back up and stab it back in the bus! with all new seals of course, as you mention.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 32

Jump to: