Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagons in the smoke
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

Zeit,

No, rational thought should not occur, lest ye awaken to the folly you are being spoon fed.

Wildthings - It's interesting how a nearby fire can do that. So much rising thermal air currents that nearby the clean air is simply being pulled toward the fire, then going up. It's points more distant as the air is cooled and comes back to the ground where the smoke can get bad. This situation has me thinking about air quality and I live in an area where concerns about that simply don't exist. The BMW has a charcoal filtration system and I coincidentally put a high end aftermarket filter in it recently. I can drive around and not smell the smoke even though its hazy in my headlamps.

One random benefit. We have a pet pregnant Preying Mantis and the last couple days it's been easy to catch flies outside as its cooler without direct sunlight, and they're slower. Brings their reaction time inside of mine!! She's getting fatter.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader

Last edited by IdahoDoug on Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
We had fires burning nearby for a month, the closest having started 2 1/2 miles from the house and never got more than a whiff of smoke. Now the closest fire is probably 60 miles away and the air burns my skin if I go out of the house for more than a few minutes. A guy on a local blog made a post that his CO alarm was going off last night, it is supposed to alert at something like 25ppm, so people might want to be wary of their basements where the CO would tend to settle and concentrate. IIRC, a thousand PPM for an hour is deadly, but its been decades since I needed to know that so may well be way off.

CO disperses evenly. Im a fire/burg alarm tech.
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

People believe what they want to believe. Ya got a pic of your van in the smoke?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

Moderator note:
Political crap removed per the rules
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

If you're gonna remove the "political crap", remove all of it. Selective thinning implies biased thinning.
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

Does anyone else feel like driving is actually cleaning the air when it’s this bad? No? Oh, uh, nevermind.

We spent Sunday indoors playing Monopoly to kill time as awfully as possible.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Moderator note:

So jokes are prohibited too? Sorry I missed that in the forum rules. Wink

edit: It just occurred to me the above may also have been construed as a joke. Wink
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Moderator note:

So jokes are prohibited too? Sorry I missed that in the forum rules. Wink

edit: It just occurred to me the above may also have been construed as a joke. Wink

No it was a joke involving a politician, this is 1984 you fool! Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

Royb wrote:

Have you tried just hitting your hand with a hammer? It's less painful than playing a game designed with the express purpose of giving everyone but 1 the slow ride to failure. https://lithub.com/the-landlords-game-eula-biss-on-the-anticapitalist-origins-of-monopoly/
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Royb wrote:

Have you tried just hitting your hand with a hammer? It's less painful than playing a game designed with the express purpose of giving everyone but 1 the slow ride to failure. https://lithub.com/the-landlords-game-eula-biss-on-the-anticapitalist-origins-of-monopoly/

I tried , but missed and put a hole in my yacht. I’ll blame the Butler and dock his pay.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

Here's how the smoke looks in Iowa...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Here's how the smoke looks in Iowa...

Welcome to the party Sad
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

Early morning the other day our smoke alarm went off in the bedroom as we were sleeping. As we groggily fumbled our way around the house looking for a fire we realized that it was from the smokey air outside! Just got a third air cleaner delivered today. This is getting really old, fires in Canada got us in 2017 & 2018, now the whole West Coast is burning up this year.

Bellingham, Washington and air quality today, September 16. "Only" 107, "unhealthy for sensitive groups"; so that's progress from the readings of 172 we had last Friday.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

Please be safe, people.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

Hood Canal, Wa. On the front end of it last week smoke approaching from the south. Much worse now. Driving home over three hours yesterday, I wondered if the smoke particles made the van run hotter than normal. Dirty air = less cooling efficiency?

Last edited by Slimvest on Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

The Oly Bullis were planning a fun socially distant camping trip up to the Olympic Peninsula this week, but the air quality up there is even worse than here. Instead, we'll probably caravan out to the coast and pick up some fresh caught tuna and oysters. The wind off the ocean should keep the air quality decent.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
The Oly Bullis were planning a fun socially distant camping trip up to the Olympic Peninsula this week, but the air quality up there is even worse than here. Instead, we'll probably caravan out to the coast and pick up some fresh caught tuna and oysters. The wind off the ocean should keep the air quality decent.

Yeah, we camped sat/sun nights on the strait and it wasn't bad. Being close to the water helped, but visibility was probably never more than a mile.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Please be safe, people.

Not possible if driving a Vanagon thru smoke.

You need a vehicle with a Recirculation button on the A/C and good sealing, at a minimum.

One reason I don't rely on my Vanagon as an "escape vehicle"
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

dougnlina wrote:

Along Trinity River, sept 10.

Reminds me of Red Tuesday.....[shutter]
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in the smoke Reply with quote

Dammity! I missed the opportunity to contribute to this thread! No pic of my Westy Shaggy in the smoke! Oh well, there’s always next year! Laughing
2018 Ford F-350 Platinum, Ruby Red Metallic
2017 Mercedes GLE350, Polar White
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: