Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Six seater buggy build ( long term project)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Unclebilly the dash is not for protection from hitting the tubes. Is for looks and holding the gauges. Yes an aluminum box would work but they look tacky to me, so why not make it look like something.

JWHracing I got the plastic from Summit Racing. It comes in a roll in several sizes, I bought the 4'x8' sheet. It's only .100" thick so not super strong but it can be molded in to shape with heat and welded with a soldering iron.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So still not much time to work on the buggy lately. But I bought some stuff for the dash. All of it is cheap stuff form Amazon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

UnHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

look like we have the samme book cbeck my uncle pass aways and i found a lot of vw collection book on his personal collection . the BAka BUgs and Buggies book help me a lot already, i highly recomment it , nice buggie its cool to see it comme together like this cant w8 to see more !
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

That Hot and Cool VW and buggies book looks cool. Will have to keep a look out for that one. Very Happy
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So I have a question, which way do most you guys plumb up a single handle turning brake? Do you make the forwarded motion control the driver's side or passenger side.

I got the front lines all bent and now have to plumb up the rear.

Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

When I set up my turning brake, I didn't think it would really matter which way was which but it turned out that it does matter. Mine is a 45 degree single handle. Forward and down ended up controlling the right rear wheel, swinging the car to the right. Back and up makes the car pull to the left.

The problem is that...at least in my case...down is for left turns....as in push down on the turn signal lever for left turns..up for right turns. The exact opposite of the turning brakes. I didn't think it would matter that much until I was negotiating a wash with deep loose sand while at fairly high speed. I was having to supplement the front wheels with the steering brake and it caused some confusion. Now I have a little diagram on the dash until I swap the lines around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

In my experience, using the right hand for the steering brake:

pull for left,

push for right.

I prefer having it mounted so that the handle movement is lateral. That way, move the handle left for left turn, right for right turn. No need to figure it out.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Thank you gentleman, first hand knowledge saves me some pain lol. I think I will make it like dusty suggested. That way my hands will not be getting crossed up to much. I would have thought that airboats would have a standard, but apparently they don't. Got some more brake line on order so, hopefully some time next week I can finish them up.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
In my experience, using the right hand for the steering brake:
pull for left,
push for right.
I prefer having it mounted so that the handle movement is lateral. That way, move the handle left for left turn, right for right turn. No need to figure it out.

Yeah, I'd love to do it that way if I had room between the seats.

mathewl....I used those same type of LED's for my dash. They looked great for a while until the leads broke off the bulbs. I traced it down to the leads flexing to much at the bulb. Take a piece of shrink tube and enclose the wires in it right at the back end of the bulb. It'll keep the leads from flexing.
Mitchmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

matthewl wrote:
So I have a question, which way do most you guys plumb up a single handle turning brake? Do you make the forwarded motion control the driver's side or passenger side.

I got the front lines all bent and now have to plumb up the rear.

Where did you find that brake master cylinder?
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Mitchmech it a standard VW dual circuit master cylinder with this reservoir.
https://www.amazon.com/17-2878-BRAKE-RESERVOIR-PLA...amp;sr=8-8
Mitchmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Thank you!!
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Ok boys I'm to the part where I'm thinking about the rear shocks. I've got to do this on the cheap so no King or Fox shocks here. Thinking of KYB gas-A-just shocks for the rear as they are cheap and available almost everywhere. Would be using the ones for the rear of a bay window bus.
My question is how may should I use? This thing has a lot of weight in the rear to control. The trailing arms have mounts three shocks each side. Should I just max it out with six shocks in the rear or would four ( two per side) be enough? What do you guys think. And yes I understand that a better shock would be tuneable and probably only need one per side. But I can get all six KYB's for the price of one 2.0 shock.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

I used KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on my race car 40 years ago. Look at my avatar. Most of the time it had 2 long (#5530) shocks per rear corner with 27mm short torsion bars, and 33x9.00-15 tires on 8" steel wheels. Many who have ridden in the car who are used to bigger travel more modern cars have commented on how smooth the car rides. When I built the car, the KYBs were as good as they got. Well before rebuildable shocks like Fox and King. Once upon a time, I was paying $15/shock. I remove the rock guards and mount them shaft end down. For your car, I would try it with 2 #5530s per rear wheel to start with. You can upgrade from there if more is needed.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Ok so I ordered some shocks. Went with the KYB gas-A-just 5530's. I got six total, may try two up front and four in the rear. But I will make six mounts in the rear just in case.

Also I got the parking brake installed and hook up. So my next big thing is sealing up the other trans I got and fitting in.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So I am waiting on wheel spacers to come before I can make the upper rear shock mounts ( rear wheels have a bad offset). So I've been playing with CAD ( Cardboard Animated Design). Making templates for interior panels and the front fire wall.

Hey you got to do something with all those boxes parts come in right Laughing
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So the wheel spacers showed up today, man that was quick. So I got to find time to get out and make the upper mounts. I also found this locking glovebox on Amazon. Should work for my purpose.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Took some measurements and it looks like minimum off set rims with the wheel spacers would give plenty of clearance for larger than 31" tires if needed. For now just using the spacers to clear to he rear shocks.

Spacer installed so add 1 1/4 to measurements.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So started on the upper rear shock mounts.

Not perfect but should work.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Got to play a little to night. Finished welding the upper shock mount. Mounted the battery cut off ( not the best spot but it was the best spot I had close to the battery.), and welded the mounting tabs for the front fire wall.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: