Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show my your engine bays please
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekkerglenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

Bit of an odd ball one here, my car had a big Porsche engine back in the day before I owned it, i'm getting conflicting info on if the gap is factory or the result from a hack job to make the engine fit.

I'm specifically talking the wider gap at the sides not the front where the seal will go.

Interested to see others engine bays and especially tinware to cover that gap if it exists.
Cheers

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

unless it had a 6 cylinder it was not big. start with a Engine seal https://www.jbugs.com/product/111-705D.html

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

trekkerglenn wrote:
Bit of an odd ball one here, my car had a big Porsche engine back in the day before I owned it

356/912 engine. If it were a 911 engine the entire back of the engine bay would of been removed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trekkerglenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
trekkerglenn wrote:
Bit of an odd ball one here, my car had a big Porsche engine back in the day before I owned it

356/912 engine. If it were a 911 engine the entire back of the engine bay would of been removed.

It was, it's been put back together before I got it
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

trekkerglenn wrote:
Bit of an odd ball one here, my car had a big Porsche engine back in the day before I owned it, i'm getting conflicting info on if the gap is factory or the result from a hack job to make the engine fit.

I'm specifically talking the wider gap at the sides not the front where the seal will go.

Interested to see others engine bays and especially tinware to cover that gap if it exists.
Cheers

Where is the engine seal??? The wall around the engine has the groove where it goes installed.....

Last edited by FJBLF on Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

FJBLF wrote:
Where is the engine sea??? The wall around the engine has the groove where it goes installed.....

That's the point of this topic.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
FJBLF wrote:
Where is the engine sea??? The wall around the engine has the groove where it goes installed.....

There is no topic here.... You can see the factory groove on the car... all I see is a missing seal.... it just needs one...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

FJBLF wrote:
Glenn wrote:
FJBLF wrote:

There is no topic here.... You can see the factory groove on the car... all I see is a missing seal.... it just needs one...

This:
trekkerglenn wrote:

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
FJBLF wrote:
Glenn wrote:
FJBLF wrote:

This:
trekkerglenn wrote:

Well... the car has the correct groove, I can even see the usual access cuts on it which are used to install the seal. If anything is wrong is probably the tins. Here look at this video of mine, it is not specific to the tins but you can see them in several of the shoots, it will give you the details you are looking for. You can check the other videos on my channel some of them may show more details on the tins.

Link

FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
FJBLF wrote:
Glenn wrote:
FJBLF wrote:

This:
trekkerglenn wrote:

Here you have another one....there are several shots of the engine with the tins installed....

Link
[/youtube]
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
FJBLF wrote:
Glenn wrote:
FJBLF wrote:

This:
trekkerglenn wrote:

This one has a couple of good shots of the empty engine bay

Link

Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

What year is your Trekker? Later model T181 had engine compartments that were cut larger for a fuel injected motors. They were never installed so you need the spacer plates that fill in the gaps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

It's always been my understanding that the late Things with that elliptical hole in the engine compartment floor were set up for the late Beetle fuel injection cylinder tins. The '75 - '79 cylinder tins should not be too hard to find used.

I assume that the standard seal would be adequate because they usually need some trimming for the standard straight sided engine cutout.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trekkerglenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

FJBLF - apologies if the point wasn't clear enough, yes I'm aware the seal isn't installed yet but as you can see from the small gap at the font of the engine/seal groove compared to the sides the seal will no way bridge that gap, hence my question.

Glenn - thanks for clarifying my point

Al Capulco & Mondshine - exactly what info I needed, mine isa 74 but this ties in with what another chap in the UK said about FI engines.
Would either of you know a part number, i've searched Google and scoured the Parts Manual on here with no luck.

Thanks all
trekkerglenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

essentially I need a pair of these with the curved line I guess not the flat ones in the usual 181's

Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

The type 181 used spacers to make up the difference. There is a guy named Roland over in Germany that sells them.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/vw-181...4-223-1019
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

trekkerglenn wrote:
FJBLF - apologies if the point wasn't clear enough, yes I'm aware the seal isn't installed yet but as you can see from the small gap at the font of the engine/seal groove compared to the sides the seal will no way bridge that gap, hence my question.

Glenn - thanks for clarifying my point

Al Capulco & Mondshine - exactly what info I needed, mine isa 74 but this ties in with what another chap in the UK said about FI engines.
Would either of you know a part number, i've searched Google and scoured the Parts Manual on here with no luck.

Thanks all

Mate, nothing to apologize for... Mine is a 72 and as you can see on my videos, my engine seal seams quite wide for the gap I have. The grove on your engine bay looks factory, so the only possible remaining answer, was the tins. Mystery solved. I hope you get them soon and cheap.

Best Regards and Happy Motoring.

FJB
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

trekkerglenn wrote:
essentially I need a pair of these with the curved line I guess not the flat ones in the usual 181's

So a 74 Thing with a carb engine used FI tins?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
So a 74 Thing with a carb engine used FI tins?

Not US imported 181s. I thought later 75 and up had them.
trekkerglenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Show my your engine bays please Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
The type 181 used spacers to make up the difference. There is a guy named Roland over in Germany that sells them.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/vw-181...4-223-1019

Al, I have no idea how you found that but WOW, that is exactly what I need, thanks so much
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: