Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

question regarding changing the floor pan
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

Hello all,I am in the process of changing the floor pan and can't afford to screw it up. so as you can see from the picture
1. The new floor pan is about 0.565" longer length wise. 2. on the old pan, the distance between the edge of the pan to the hole 1 was 13 1/8" and the same distance on the new pan is 13 5/8". So the new pan is 1/2" wider. For a reference on the old pan the distance between A-9 was 66 9/16"
off course I made other measurements on the old pan before cutting it. With that said. What is the best way to trim the new pan to fit well in there?Questions is:1. What is the best way to fit the pan lengthwise? Should I cut 1/4" from each side (front, back) to fit the pan in there and then cut slowly,  like initially 1/4" from the edge side to match it to the old pan measurements? 

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

Don't make assumptions that the holes in the new pan are in the same locations as the old pans. Wink You need to measure from the center of mounting holes that don't move, to any hole on the old pan in more than one direction. Then you measure from the holes in the new pan and see where you need to trim. I used a piece of plywood and made a jig that located 2 or 3 holes feom the old pan. Then I didn't need to measure anything. (I also have a rear package shelf with mounts that I use as a template for the rear pans)

If you didn't happen to take those kinds of measurements, you can put the body on the chassis without floor pans and take measurements that way from underneath.

You can be off a tiny little bit, but 1/2" will cause you problems.

You can trim the edges very accurately up to any line you mark with a very course flap disk on a 4" grinder.

I ended up trimming from 3 side on these pans.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

is your pan from WW? I was told their pan needs no trimming and fit without modifications
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

borna428 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

is your pan from WW? I was told their pan needs no trimming and fit without modifications

Yes.
Maybe this can help? And it wouldn't be a bad idea to put the body on with the pans tacked into place, just to make sure the holes line up.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

[quote="Q-Dog"]
borna428 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Yes.
Maybe this can help? And it wouldn't be a bad idea to put the body on with the pans tacked into place, just to make sure the holes line up.

Thanks for providing this information
One thing I confirmed is that the holes on the old pan matches the exact location and the distance from each others of the new pan. Basically the distance between the hole 1 to hole 2, 3, 4, ...,9 are the same on the both pans.

My main question at this point is that the new pan is 1/2" longer to fit into the frame. should I trim 1/4" from front and 1/4" from rear or just trim 1/2" from front or just 1/2" from rear?

Once I get the pan to seat on the frame, then I can measure the width to see how much I need to trim.

Also I am not replacing the frame end plate. That hole in the frame end plate should be a good reference point to match the 9th hole on the pan? is that a good assumption?

thanks
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
borna428 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Yes.

Thanks for providing this information
One thing I confirmed is that the holes on the old pan matches the exact location and the distance from each others of the new pan. Basically the distance between the hole 1 to hole 2, 3, 4, ...,9 are the same on the both pans.

My main question at this point is that the new pan is 1/2" longer to fit into the frame. should I trim 1/4" from front and 1/4" from rear or just trim 1/2" from front or just 1/2" from rear?

Once I get the pan to seat on the frame, then I can measure the width to see how much I need to trim.

Also I am not replacing the frame end plate. That hole in the frame end plate should be a good reference point to match the 9th hole on the pan? is that a good assumption?

thanks
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

You have to measure to determine which end to trim. Wink I would not guess on if the holes are punched closer to one end of the pan or the other.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

So I dis a little more measuring trying to make sense of the new pan.
I measured the cutout of the old pan and I can say the bolt holes are perfectly matching the new pan.

then I raised the frame and put the new pan under it trying to adjust and see match the end hole (9th one) with the hole in the frame end plate. I am not going to change the end plate.

With that said, on the old pan, the distance from the front first hole to the hole on top of the end pate was 61 7/8". When I lay the new pan, I got the same exact distance from first hole to the top hole on the frame end plate.
see the picture. Now is that means i can mark and cut?

tspot100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

good luck. fyi. WW pans are not as advertised imho. i installed 2 sets of their pans and both needed alot of tweaking to fit. others appear thicker and are a better option for those interested.
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

tspot100 wrote:
good luck. fyi. WW pans are not as advertised imho. i installed 2 sets of their pans and both needed alot of tweaking to fit. others appear thicker and are a better option for those interested.

well good luck was not the answer I was looking for. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Am I on the right track?
The Pan I got a true 18 gauge very well built.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

When I replaced my pans (albeit on a 1968) with WW pans I made sure that the holes at A and 9 on your original photo were dead centre between the new pan and the chassis. This of course assumes that your chassis hasn't been damaged in an accident.

In short, my recommendation is that you line the holes up and trim accordingly. I didn't have to, but if your pan is too long, then I would think logically that you would cut the same amount from front and back. Then remeasure the holes are aligned and then see how this fits.

The amount you cut off to get it to fit in exactly, still gives you "wriggle-room" to move the pan around because the flange is reasonably large. But cut off just enough to get it to fit in the "opening" and still have the holes lined up.

Of course you should reaffirm that the hole distances still agree reasonably with the dimensional drawings.

Finally the best and probably only way to get this absolutely right is to reattach the body and make sure the holes line up. Not sure if you are in a position to do this.

Last edited by viiking on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

made some good progress today. hopefully by tomorrow I maybe be able to fit one pan. finger crossed.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

may i ask what brand of pan that is and where you got it?

thank you

mark tucker wrote:
eye wood... lost pan of cheetos heads... cb magna spork dist

Laughing Laughing
.................................................................................................
'65 Tourist Delivery sedan
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
may i ask what brand of pan that is and where you got it?

thank you

these pans are made by Klokkerholm. As you you know they make low quality and high quality pans. The one I got is a very high quality premium true 18 gauge pan and I am very impressed with quality. Very heavy and well built.
keyparts are the distributer

http://www.keypartsonline.com/50-70-high-quality-floor-pnl-half-w-seat-track-passengers-side/

I bought mine from https://carparts.com (KVW24001R, KVW24001L) and they price match is for me because jegs.com had the same pan $45 cheaper at the time I ordered mine.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Key-Parts/576/KVW24001R/10002/-1
https://www.jegs.com/i/Key+Parts/576/KVW24001L/10002/-1
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

Thank you!

mark tucker wrote:
eye wood... lost pan of cheetos heads... cb magna spork dist

Laughing Laughing
.................................................................................................
'65 Tourist Delivery sedan
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: question regarding changing the floor pan Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
... I used a piece of plywood and made a jig that located 2 or 3 holes feom the old pan. Then I didn't need to measure anything.

Great idea!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: